[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rule Review Discussion: Increasing Devy spots to 4 with a defensive player caveat

Tford

Our goal is to have the rule review period completed by 3/29.

This rule review was a discussion point brought up in the Rule Review catchall thread. Will leave this thread up for a couple days for debates to happen then will follow up with a vote.

Since this was my idea, obviously I'm for it. But I would say that if the 4th devy spot did not have that defensive player caveat on it, I would not be in favor.

53 minutes ago, RodneyRules said:

Ehhhh....again could take it or leave it.  If we did go to 4 then we may have to consider expanding the DTS total size from 10-12 because having 4 non-NFL guys out of 10 on DTS could be limiting.

Currently, we have a 13 player taxi squad that includes 10 DTS players and 3 devys. Whether you have 0 or 4 devys doesn't affect the 10 (or a different number if voted in) DTS spots you can use.

This seems like more randomness though.  IDP don't get nearly enough publicity in college, so outside of the top 3-4 guys it feels like a crapshoot.  I don't think I could even name 5 IDP underclassmen right now outside of Ohio State.  This gives the guy with Devin White a free stash of a much more highly publicized offensive player.

I don't like this.

Edited by flemingd

35 minutes ago, flemingd said:

This seems like more randomness though.  IDP don't get nearly enough publicity in college, so outside of the top 3-4 guys it feels like a crapshoot.  I don't think I could even name 5 IDP underclassmen right now outside of Ohio State.  This gives the guy with Devin White a free stash of a much more highly publicized offensive player.

I don't like this.

I disagree. The whole point of the devy league is rewarding guys who have an eye for talent in the college ranks. Not sure why IDP should be viewed differently than other positions just because they aren't on Sportscenter.

5 hours ago, flemingd said:

I don't like this.

Not to quote you directly Fleming but its not randomness...what it does is it rewards those "active owners who are paying attention year round"....so why wouldn't we want to do that.

54 minutes ago, RodneyRules said:

Not to quote you directly Fleming but its not randomness...what it does is it rewards those "active owners who are paying attention year round"....so why wouldn't we want to do that.

The bolded is only really true if able to acquire devy's year round, which we're not.  That being said, I'm kind of fence sitting on this at the moment.  Offensive players are already such a crap shoot as whether or not they keep throughout a college season, defensive players may as well be me throwing a dart 50 feet from the board. 

Disagree Def....being able to watch a college football season and then identify a few top defensive guys who are solid next year prospects is not that hard....even if you are just doing some basic analytics work on guys staying back another year.  Again not everyone has the time or interest...but for those who do why would we not open up a 4th spot for that purpose....does it really take away from anyone.

16 minutes ago, RodneyRules said:

Disagree Def....being able to watch a college football season and then identify a few top defensive guys who are solid next year prospects is not that hard....even if you are just doing some basic analytics work on guys staying back another year.  Again not everyone has the time or interest...but for those who do why would we not open up a 4th spot for that purpose....does it really take away from anyone.

RR's devy's:

Super RB1

Terrific WR1

Stud LB1

Dave's devy's:

Incredible RB1

Dominant RB2

Worldbeater RB3

So now adding that 4th spot forces me into IDP.  The problem is (A) I don't want to stash IDP, I have a specific strategy going with RB's. (B) College IDP aren't nearly as well publicized or analyzed.  After the top 3-4 are gone I wouldn't know where to start.  But RR just goes and snags an offensive player for that 4th spot that's a lot higher hyped and known.

I'm fine with the 4th spot, I'm just not fine with forcing the usage to IDP.

29 minutes ago, flemingd said:

RR's devy's:

Super RB1

Terrific WR1

Stud LB1

Dave's devy's:

Incredible RB1

Dominant RB2

Worldbeater RB3

So now adding that 4th spot forces me into IDP.  The problem is (A) I don't want to stash IDP, I have a specific strategy going with RB's. (B) College IDP aren't nearly as well publicized or analyzed.  After the top 3-4 are gone I wouldn't know where to start.  But RR just goes and snags an offensive player for that 4th spot that's a lot higher hyped and known.

I'm fine with the 4th spot, I'm just not fine with forcing the usage to IDP.

I understand your point...I still feel like we either keep 3 Devy's or we expand to 4 with the requirement that 1 of the 4 be defense.  If you have 3 offense and don't want to bring on a 4th Devy IDP then you don't have to do it but you can't substitute in a rookie/qualifying DTS guy.  Way I see it at least the 4th spot allows those who want a IDP to bring them in without losing a position for an offensive Devy/DTS position.  For most smart owners they either would take the risk and  end up with a IDP that pays off (for the risk) or they carried a guy who becomes irrelevant....