[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gronk retiring

buddahj

I would still hold on to him in dynasty leagues at least until the season begins.  This could be a ploy for more money.  He did use a threat of retirement last year to get a bigger contract.  I'll also be using my 18th round pick to draft him in redraft leagues.  I'll drop him on Sept. 8th if he hasn't signed.  There are also rumors that he doesn't want to play an entire season but will come back mid-season.  But I don't think I'll be using a roster spot for him once the season begins based solely on that possibility.

Edited by michaelredd9

1 hour ago, michaelredd9 said:

I would still hold on to him in dynasty leagues at least until the season begins.  This could be a ploy for more money.  He did use a threat of retirement last year to get a bigger contract.  I'll also be using my 18th round pick to draft him in redraft leagues.  I'll drop him on Sept. 8th if he hasn't signed.  There are also rumors that he doesn't want to play an entire season but will come back mid-season.  But I don't think I'll be using a roster spot for him once the season begins based solely on that possibility.

I agree. I have a feeling he's coming back. 

18 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

my personal belief is hes more likely to come back midseason than he is to reverse course on this "retirement"...willie mcginest said weeks ago that he was likely to retire and then come back during the season

i dont think this guy wants the grind of keeping himself in great shape all year anymore....it becomes tough...like ive said before...even david ortiz was a beast his last year and looked as if he could still keep going...but spending hours in the batting cage, eating properly and traveling all the time was no longer something he felt was worth it...just tired of it....i feel like this is a similar situation...im not sure how the patriots would feel/handle a guy that said he was "half in".....so theres always that factor....but if they were in for it i think it would be perfect

It's going to be interesting what Belichick does with the tight end position.  He talked up Jacob Hollister last offseason but Hollister's season was derailed with injuries.  Even if Belichick likes Hollister, I doubt he stands pat.  He could trade for a tight end.  Probably no team has traded for players as much as the Patriots the last few years.  Cameron Brate would be a possibility.  Although, Brate isn't a great blocker and Belichick likes his tight end to block (but Belichick did try to sign Jared Cook and Cook definitely can't block).  The draft has some interesting possibilities.  T.J. Hockenson would be perfect since he looks like he could be elite at receiving and blocking but the Patriots would probably have to significantly trade up in the first round to get him and trading up in the first round isn't Belichick's modus operandi.  A lot of pundits have Belichick selecting Irv Smith Jr. with the 32nd pick.  Smith might be a nice fit.  But my guess is that Belichick uses one of his three third round picks on a tight end and trades for a veteran tight end.  I don't think Belichick will want to enter a season relying on a rookie tight end even if it is a first round pick.

1 hour ago, purplemonster said:

Pats are great no matter what but not having a huge physical specimen like Gronk will make it harder.  He looked like garbage during part of the year but put it together in the post season and was nearly as monstrous as ever. 

It's a deep TE draft this year. They'll just reload like they always do. They are a machine.

3 hours ago, League_Champion said:

It's a deep TE draft this year. They'll just reload like they always do. They are a machine.

Say what you want about the Patriots, but no one can argue how great they are at drafting and managing a roster. They haven't had a high draft pick in this century. They usually have one of the worst. They still get the job done as well or better than anyone. That's probably one of the most underrated skills they have and yet maybe the most important.

34 minutes ago, DMD said:

Say what you want about the Patriots, but no one can argue how great they are at drafting and managing a roster. They haven't had a high draft pick in this century. They usually have one of the worst. They still get the job done as well or better than anyone. That's probably one of the most underrated skills they have and yet maybe the most important.

They are. They remind me of a College powerhouse that just reloads every year. There's no team better at it. 

Edited by League_Champion

11 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

It's going to be interesting what Belichick does with the tight end position.  He talked up Jacob Hollister last offseason but Hollister's season was derailed with injuries.  Even if Belichick likes Hollister, I doubt he stands pat.  He could trade for a tight end.  Probably no team has traded for players as much as the Patriots the last few years.  Cameron Brate would be a possibility.  Although, Brate isn't a great blocker and Belichick likes his tight end to block (but Belichick did try to sign Jared Cook and Cook definitely can't block).  The draft has some interesting possibilities.  T.J. Hockenson would be perfect since he looks like he could be elite at receiving and blocking but the Patriots would probably have to significantly trade up in the first round to get him and trading up in the first round isn't Belichick's modus operandi.  A lot of pundits have Belichick selecting Irv Smith Jr. with the 32nd pick.  Smith might be a nice fit.  But my guess is that Belichick uses one of his three third round picks on a tight end and trades for a veteran tight end.  I don't think Belichick will want to enter a season relying on a rookie tight end even if it is a first round pick.

having gronk was like having a 3rd tackle on the field most of the time...and hockenson is obviously the best two way TE...and of course smith is a guy that has been linked to them(boy i feel old im a ND fan and i remember watching his father play there and then in the nfl when i was like 10)...

theres another kid to keep an eye on too...this dawson knox kid from ole miss....basically from what i heard he was a qb in high school and had an injury his sr year...so he walked on at ole miss...put on some bulk and got a scholarship his 3rd year there maybe? ive heard his blocking can use some work but he has the tools if they can coach him up and who better to do that?

I just did a quick peek at the available free agent tight ends.  It is slim pickings.  But one name that jumped out is Austin Seferian-Jenkins.  He has receiving and blocking skills (73.0 PFF run block grade in 2018).  He could probably be signed cheaply and Belichick might see a diamond in the rough in him.  I did a Google search to see if there were any rumors that ASJ could be destined for Foxborough but didn't find anything.  But Belichick did host ASJ before the 2014 draft.  This potential signing makes so much sense that it might be worth trading for ASJ right now in dynasty.  His value is rock bottom currently but would skyrocket if he signed with the Patriots.

Edited by michaelredd9

1 minute ago, michaelredd9 said:

I just did a quick peek at the available free agent tight ends.  It is slim pickings.  But one name that jumped out is Austin Sefarian-Jenkins.  He has receiving and blocking skills (73.0 PFF run block grade in 2018).  He could probably be signed cheaply and Belichick might see a diamond in the rough in him.  I did a Google search to see if there were any rumors that ASJ could be destined for Foxborough but didn't find any.  But Belichick did host ASJ before the 2014 draft.  This potential signing makes so much sense that it might be worth trading for ASJ in dynasty.  His value is rock bottom currently but would skyrocket if he signed with the Patriots.

I could definitely see that. He'd do great in that offense.

• 3 months later...

Kind of a bogus comparison, no shirt in one with arms over the head flexing muscles, the other in a shirt with arms down by his side, body turned a bit to one side. Exactly what muscles are we expected to see in the picture on the right?

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm...

MassLive's Andrew Callahan reports Rob Gronkowski participated in a private workout with Tom Brady this week.

Gronk is not the first ex-teammate to participate in an offseason throwing session with Brady, but this workout adds fuel to the un-retirement fire. For his part, Gronkowski has continued to insist he is officially done and has lost around 20 pounds since hanging up his cleats, but he also told Rich Eisen he is not sure how he will feel "when the games start rolling around." Until he actually sits out the season, rumors about a return will persist.

SOURCE: MassLive

Jul 9, 2019, 8:36 AM ET

• 1 month later...