[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I love the AAF

CowboysDiehard

45 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

They need to stop being so gimmicky. For the most part these leagues are corny. I'd watch football 12 months a year if it was half decent. There's enough good college players to sustain another league, it just has to be done right. 

Thing is, this was half decent.  Just poor marketing and no 'real' TV coverage.  

Lol making players pay for their flights home.  The Carolina Hurricanes owner lost 70 million.  The XFL lost another 70 million in 2001 and even McMahon called it a total disaster.  I'm sure these guys have ways of squeaking out money in different ways, publicity, etc, but it just seems puzzling. Now McMahon is going to try for the XFL again next year and says he's willing to put hundreds of millions into it.  So I was quickly proven wrong that this would dissuade people from trying again.  I don't totally get it. 

Edited by purplemonster

I don't know how other people feel but the NFL offseason is kind of interesting in its own right. I can sort of pay attention to what's going on without investing a lot of time. In the meantime you have March Madness, baseball, basketball, hockey playoffs. Obviously there's a lot of intense football fans that miss NFL football but I just don't know that there's enough room for very profitable League after the NFL season. These guys think there is and more power to them.

Edited by purplemonster
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, purplemonster said:

I don't know how other people feel but the NFL offseason is kind of interesting in its own right. I can sort of pay attention to what's going on without investing a lot of time. In the meantime you have March Madness, baseball, basketball, hockey playoffs. Obviously there's a lot of intense football fans that miss NFL football but I just don't know that there's enough room for very profitable League after the NFL season. These guys think there is and more power to them.

The only way it MIGHT stand a chance is if it's run by the NFL and is considered some sort of farm system or minor leagues where teams can send and groom draft picks or undrafted free agents. That would at least give you a reason to tune in. But with the players union there's almost zero chance that could happen. 

37 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

The only way it MIGHT stand a chance is if it's run by the NFL and is considered some sort of farm system or minor leagues where teams can send and groom draft picks or undrafted free agents. That would at least give you a reason to tune in. But with the players union there's almost zero chance that could happen. 

I could certainly get behind cheaper ticket prices and a faster more streamlined game but the loyalties run deep in NFL, and football teams require so many players.  It wouldn't seem like something easily run on the cheap.  

The D league being proposed by Tom Brady's agent and McCaffrey is an interesting one.  For prospects too young to go to the NFL or don't want to go to college.  And it's only 4 teams and based in CA only.  I could see that being useful. 

Here's a good list with a short description of previous and current NFL leagues https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/from-aaf-to-xfl-to-pacific-pro-football-and-more-heres-a-guide-to-all-the-new-non-nfl-football-leagues/amp/

Edited by purplemonster

13 hours ago, purplemonster said:

Plans for McMahon to relaunch the XFL have been in the works as long as the AAF, he wasn't going to back down because of their failure. He has plenty of money to spend, sold off a chunk of WWE stock for some $240M. 

The reality is without a good TV deal they're all dead. And TV doesn't make good deals for fledgling products that are likely to fail. And fans don't have much interest in second rate sports during the height of other major sports in full swing. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, purplemonster said:

I could certainly get behind cheaper ticket prices and a faster more streamlined game but the loyalties run deep in NFL, and football teams require so many players.  It wouldn't seem like something easily run on the cheap.  

The D league being proposed by Tom Brady's agent and McCaffrey is an interesting one.  For prospects too young to go to the NFL or don't want to go to college.  And it's only 4 teams and based in CA only.  I could see that being useful. 

Here's a good list with a short description of previous and current NFL leagues https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/from-aaf-to-xfl-to-pacific-pro-football-and-more-heres-a-guide-to-all-the-new-non-nfl-football-leagues/amp/

That would grab my attention.

19 hours ago, boltnlava said:

https://lflus.com/

There could be room for other leagues. I'd watch an McMahon run league like this...as long as no man touches them or hugs them.  Looking is okay I think? IDK ..The money is good enough I guess. :unsure:

You know there's actual naked womens on the internet right? 

4 hours ago, stevegrab said:

When I was a teenager (40 years ago) scantily clad women on TV meant something, today not so much. 

ahhhhhh the 80's .....lol ..I mean ...uh .. I have no idea what your'e on about.