[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What round will you draft Josh Gordon?

michaelredd9

I'll be willing to draft him in rounds 7 or 8 if all is going well.  He is uber-risky but all running backs and wide receivers taken at that point in the draft are risky.  His high ceiling can't be ignored.  And the running backs and wide receivers taken in rounds 7 or 8 are risky because they might actually not be good.  You don't know what you have.  With Gordon, he is good.  If he is unsuspended, he can be counted on.

Edited by michaelredd9

7 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

I'll be willing to draft him in rounds 7 or 8 if all is going well.  He is uber-risky but all running backs and wide receivers taken at that point in the draft are risky.  His high ceiling can't be ignored.  And the running backs and wide receivers taken in rounds 7 or 8 are risky because they might actually not be good.  You don't know what you have.  With Gordon, he is good.  If he is unsuspended, he can be counted on.  It is a less sabotaging kind of risk.

Hate to constantly be that guy, but is Marty McFly 2-day shipping his ceiling from 2013 back to him?  Cause if not, that time has come and gone.  And not only from Gordon, but from Brady as well.  If he's even on the field, counting on him for anything more then 2-4 catches and 60ish Y/G is folly. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Def. said:

If he's even on the field, counting on him for anything more then 2-4 catches and 60ish Y/G is folly. 

In the 8 games between week 6 and week 13 last year, Gordon averaged 4.3 catches and 77 yards (he had 3 catches in 1 game and had 4 or 5 catches in every other game).  He did that with little knowledge of the playbook and no experience catching balls from Brady.  The Patriots have an intricate offensive system and Brady likes being able to completely trust his receivers.  Gordon will undoubtedly do better this season having had time to learn the playbook and having had more practice time with Brady.

Edited by michaelredd9

17 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

In the 8 games between week 6 and week 13 last year, Gordon averaged 4.3 catches and 77 yards (he had 3 catches in 1 game and had 4 or 5 catches in every other game).  He did that with little knowledge of the playbook and no experience catching balls from Brady.  The Patriots have an intricate offensive system and Brady likes being able to completely trust his receivers.  Gordon will undoubtedly do better this season having had time to learn the playbook and having had more practice time with Brady.

Curious why are you picking week 6-13, instead of all games, or at least all games with NE? The 3 NE games you leave out had stats of 2-32, 2-50, 1-19, far below the average you got. By week 6 it was his 3rd game playing with the Pats, which came a week after they had signed him (Sept 18 prior to week 3).

Of course you're counting on him to return and be able to stay, that the NFL will reinstate him, and that the Pats will have him back again. Will Bill and Tom want to take the risk again? Gronk is gone, and they need weapons on offense. But they cannot have that weapon removed from the team for the stretch run. 

9 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Curious why are you picking week 6-13, instead of all games, or at least all games with NE? The 3 NE games you leave out had stats of 2-32, 2-50, 1-19, far below the average you got. By week 6 it was his 3rd game playing with the Pats, which came a week after they had signed him (Sept 18 prior to week 3).

I didn't include his first 2 games with the Patriots because he played 22% and 26% of snaps.  He was fresh off the boat.   He was being integrated into the offense.  Gordon having 2-32 and 2-50 with a touchdown in those games is really good with playing so few snaps.   He integrated into an extremely complicated offense extremely quickly.  I didn't include the last game because he probably knew he had failed his drug test and his head wasn't in the game.  But that is purely speculation.  But he did play most of the snaps in that game.  If you include that last game, he averaged 4 catches and 70 yards over the last 9 games.

Edited by michaelredd9

20 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

I didn't include his first 2 games with the Patriots because he played 22% and 26% of snaps.  He was fresh off the boat.   He was being integrated into the offense.  Gordon having 2-32 and 2-50 with a touchdown in those games is really good with playing so few snaps.   He integrated into an extremely complicated offense extremely quickly.  I didn't include the last game because he probably knew he had failed his drug test and his head wasn't in the game.  But that is purely speculation.  But he did play most of the snaps in that game.  If you include that last game, he averaged 4 catches and 70 yards over the last 9 games.

I just think its wrong to exclude those stats and say something like  "He did that with little knowledge of the  playbook and no experience catching balls from Brady."  Since he was already playing in 2 games, and having time in practice as well. It wreaks of cherry picking to suit your point, and your last number (4 for 70) isn't far off what the other poster mentioned (2-4 catch 60yds). 

2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

I just think its wrong to exclude those stats and say something like  "He did that with little knowledge of the  playbook and no experience catching balls from Brady."  Since he was already playing in 2 games, and having time in practice as well. It wreaks of cherry picking to suit your point, and your last number (4 for 70) isn't far off what the other poster mentioned (2-4 catch 60yds). 

Am I cherrypicking or are you nitpicking per usual?  He was traded on Sept 18th.  On Sept. 30 and Oct. 4 he played 22% and 26% of snaps in his first 2 games with the Patriots.  And you think these stats should be included as to predict what kind of stats he will put up this upcoming season? 

Playing receiver in the NFL isn't Twiddly Dinks.  It is complicated.  The production Gordon started putting up immediately is very impressive.  With a year studying the playbook and more practice time with Brady, he will average more than 4 catches and 70 yards per game.

Edited by michaelredd9

5 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Go ahead, you draft him. He'll either be out of the league or in a funny farm by week 3 as usual. Why do I need that headache? I've learned my lesson. 

Yep, Josh Gordon was my single worst draft pick last year. Never again, at least not until a very late round.  He's 28 years old now and has been a heavy drug user for well over a decade. I think it's foolish to start drafting him too high. 

Edited by purplemonster

34 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

Yep, Josh Gordon was my single worst draft pick last year. Never again, at least not until a very late round.  He's 28 years old now and has been a heavy drug user for well over a decade. I think it's foolish to start drafting him too high. 

Nice double entendre there...

I'll let someone else with high expectations take the first hit.  That way when it all goes up in smoke I won't be stuck holding the bag.  Guess we'll see if Gordon and the Pats can make a joint effort to return to the Super Bowl.  But I figure one way or another something will have him keep off the grass on Sundays instead of catching hail marys leaving his owners high and dry.   

:woot:

1 hour ago, michaelredd9 said:

Am I cherrypicking or are you nitpicking per usual?  He was traded on Sept 18th.  On Sept. 30 and Oct. 4 he played 22% and 26% of snaps in his first 2 games with the Patriots.  And you think these stats should be included as to predict what kind of stats he will put up this upcoming season? 

Playing receiver in the NFL isn't Twiddly Dinks.  It is complicated.  The production Gordon started putting up immediately is very impressive.  With a year studying the playbook and more practice time with Brady, he will average more than 4 catches and 70 yards per game.

IDK..What is very impressive to me is the amount of pot or coke or w/e this guy cannot stay away from. I am almost in awe of your inability to see that he is suspended again. Let me type that again..Suspended ...again. I've seen enough THIS TIME ..lol...to know it's over.  I had him on both BOTH leagues I was in and now I am ashamed to have chased that dragon again. 

So in short : never drafting him in any slot at any time. He is undraftable and you know that..I think.:unsure:

• Like 1

I'm not advocating drafting him with a high draft pick.  I will draft him after I have already drafted 2 running backs, 3-4 wide receivers, and a tight end.  I like drafting backups who have tier 1 potential.  Obviously, they are risky or else they'd be drafted higher.  Here are the players currently with 8th round adps.  They are all flawed except for Baker.  I think Baker might get 40 touchdowns.

84  Larry Fitzgerald ARZ WR 85.74 59 107   249    
85  Golden Tate NYG WR 88.61 63 119   249    
86  Christian Kirk ARZ WR 89.41 71 117   249    
87  Royce Freeman DEN RB 89.51 65 120   249    
88  Jared Cook NO TE 89.51 59 123   249    
89  LeSean McCoy BUF RB 90.10 63 147   249    
90  Emmanuel Sanders DEN WR 92.94 49 168   249    
91  Baker Mayfield CLE QB 93.81 43 116   249    
92  Kareem Hunt CLE RB 94.43 51 152   249
Edited by michaelredd9

1 hour ago, darin3 said:

Nice double entendre there...

Josh likes a cool draft as well as getting high on life.  He said he drank or smoked before every Browns game.  Id assume college was similar.   he seems like a decent enough guy just can't say clean. Everybody says good things about the guy. I don't think they should test for MJ in the NFL anyway. But maybe the owners still want it as a measure of responsibility or something. 

Edited by purplemonster

18 hours ago, purplemonster said:

Lol if you type the word *weed* it comes up "Josh Gordon".  I was wondering wtf was going on when I was typing Josh Gordon smoked Josh Gordon 

At one time during the great "who is the greatest RB debate" you could not type the name Sanders and have it go through as the DMD had a filter in place to help Emmitts cause. It was quite humorous, until months later when people were talking about other players named Sanders and nobody could figure out who they meant. 

I'm done debating this, I won't tough him, no way. I'd rather draft Calvin Johnson and hope he returns to the NFL.