[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What round will you draft Josh Gordon?

michaelredd9

23 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

I'm not advocating drafting him with a high draft pick.  I will draft him after I have already drafted 2 running backs, 3-4 wide receivers, and a tight end.  I like drafting backups who have tier 1 potential.  Obviously, they are risky or else they'd be drafted higher.  Here are the players currently with 8th round adps.  They are all flawed except for Baker.  I think Baker might get 40 touchdowns.

84  Larry Fitzgerald ARZ WR 85.74 59 107   249    
85  Golden Tate NYG WR 88.61 63 119   249    
86  Christian Kirk ARZ WR 89.41 71 117   249    
87  Royce Freeman DEN RB 89.51 65 120   249    
88  Jared Cook NO TE 89.51 59 123   249    
89  LeSean McCoy BUF RB 90.10 63 147   249    
90  Emmanuel Sanders DEN WR 92.94 49 168   249    
91  Baker Mayfield CLE QB 93.81 43 116   249    
92  Kareem Hunt CLE RB 94.43 51 152   249

While I get the premise of drafting high-upside guys for my bench, I also like a blend of "safe" guys that I can plug in as needed.  I would take Fitz and probably Tate over Gordon.  Just my opinion.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darin3 said:

While I get the premise of drafting high-upside guys for my bench, I also like a blend of "safe" guys that I can plug in as needed.  I would take Fitz and probably Tate over Gordon.  Just my opinion.  

Um ...This ^^^^^^^^^^^

On 4/1/2019 at 4:50 PM, Def. said:

Hate to constantly be that guy, but is Marty McFly 2-day shipping his ceiling from 2013 back to him?  Cause if not, that time has come and gone.  And not only from Gordon, but from Brady as well.  If he's even on the field, counting on him for anything more then 2-4 catches and 60ish Y/G is folly. 

I'm gonna repost this wisdom on every page this thread goes. Y'all be crazy thinking of taking this guy as anything other than a lottery ticket.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2019 at 9:26 AM, stethant said:

I'm gonna repost this wisdom on every page this thread goes. Y'all be crazy thinking of taking this guy as anything other than a lottery ticket.

What's wrong with a late round lottery ticket? I try to take one in every draft. You can't win if you don't play.

23 minutes ago, El Jefe11 said:

What's wrong with a late round lottery ticket? I try to take one in every draft. You can't win if you don't play.

Nothing, just some have a different definition of late round than others.  

1 hour ago, El Jefe11 said:

Can't play if you're suspended 

EVEN AFTER YOU WERE SUSPENDED for the same transgression as 2 times before. If not NE then where? Not only that but chasing points from years (not one or two btws) ago is not wise on any level. I learned this last year. I wish I had not chased the dragon again. That's on me. Officially done. Can't believe this is even a convo. Truly. Just wow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, boltnlava said:

EVEN AFTER YOU WERE SUSPENDED for the same transgression as 2 times before. If not NE then where? Not only that but chasing points from years (not one or two btws) ago is not wise on any level. I learned this last year. I wish I had not chased the dragon again. That's on me. Officially done. Can't believe this is even a convo. Truly. Just wow.

I have to agree. He's not a lottery ticket. You know exactly what your gonna get or not get from Josh Gordon. I'd rather save that pick for a late round rookie with potential much like Kamara a few years ago. 

2 hours ago, boltnlava said:

There are 2 sides to that coin.  Chasing points from years ago isn't smart but ignoring the potential of someone as talented as Gordon isn't smart, either.  People said they'd never draft Randy Moss after his Oakland stint.  And then he had 98 catches, 1.493 yards, and 23 touchdowns the next season.  If I had a nickel for every time I heard someone say they would never draft a Mike Shanahan or Bill Belichick running back, I'd probably have about $7.85.  Shanahan and Belichick produced running backs with great fantasy value in the mid and late rounds of drafts.

Clearly, this is an emotional issue for you.  Emotions can cloud judgement.  I'd put Gordon's chances of getting suspended in his first year back at 50/50.  It is super risky.  But I'll take that chance for a player who has a floor of wr2 and a ceiling of a top 3 wide receiver, if playing.  I swing for the fences with my backup draft picks.  I get burned a lot but I'm not going to lose any sleep over an 8th round pick being a bust.  All I want is for a couple of the backups I draft to become elite.  I can fill in rb3s and wr3s from the waiver wire.

Edited by michaelredd9

10 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

But I'll take that chance for a player who has a floor of wr2 and a ceiling of a top 3 wide receiver, if playing.

Man, don't think we're paying poor old Marty enough for all these deliveries you have him doing.  At least he can call his buddy John and have the hot tube deliver itself. 

7 minutes ago, Def. said:

Man, don't think we're paying poor old Marty enough for all these deliveries you have him doing.  At least he can call his buddy John and have the hot tube deliver itself. 

Gordon was the 22nd highest scoring wide receiver in weeks 5 through 14 last year.  So he was already a wr2 with almost no experience with Brady or their complicated system.  If he is reinstated in July, his floor might be low end wr1.

Edited by michaelredd9

2 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

Gordon was the 22nd highest scoring wide receiver in weeks 5 through 14 last year.  So he was already a wr2 with almost no experience with Brady or their complicated system.  If he is reinstated in July, his floor might be low end wr1.

Then he smoked, coked, ped'd his way to suspension. AGAIN.  Preach all you want and god please draft him. Don't come in here telling us of what was and trying to put it on what is now. You wanna draft God bless. If I'm so stupid as to not draft him and you did...feel free to dance on that grave. I'm really thinking though that given his chance in NE , he'd think twice...guess not. Why not ride the dragon one more time on the roster and get a ring while riding the bench high?

19 minutes ago, darin3 said:

I'm in the middle here.  By no stretch do I think the guy's got a WR2 floor.  That's insane.  His floor is waiver wire fodder.

But he does have mad upside IF he can keep clean.

Super wide variance here.

Are you including the possibility of suspension as his floor?  He is talented.  He has stayed in great shape even when suspended (very rare for suspended players).  He has little competition on the Patriots.  If he is playing, he will produce.  A suspension or injury are the only things that could prevent it.

3 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

You want to keep focusing on a specific period to highlight your argument, have at it.  I'm going to focus on what he's done in his career since 2013. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Def. said:

You want to keep focusing on a specific period to highlight your argument, have at it.  I'm going to focus on what he's done in his career since 2013. 

I figured if he was going to finally stay clean and deal with this "addiction" (one cannot be physically addicted to pot) he'd do it with the Pats, who won't put up with his excuses and where he could earn a shot at a ring. But apparently he couldn't do it. Why should anybody believe 2019 will be different. 

20 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

He's got real issues and it's not just pot. I don't see any scenario where I'd take a shot on him again. There's still plenty of value to be had at the bottom of the draft. 

I seriously doubt he'll sniff the numbers he once had. It could take a joint effort to keep him sober for an entire season. If I could enhance these feelings i would. It truly seems he cannot smoke the opponents like he once could. The cloud of uncertainty is around this guy, surely you can see that his worth is in the vapors of what was. I honestly hope I'm not beating a dead bong here.

18 minutes ago, boltnlava said:

I seriously doubt he'll sniff the numbers he once had. It could take a joint effort to keep him sober for an entire season. If I could enhance these feelings i would. It truly seems he cannot smoke the opponents like he once could. The cloud of uncertainty is around this guy, surely you can see that his worth is in the vapors of what was. I honestly hope I'm not beating a dead bong here.

Agree. I wish him all the best and hope he sorts himself out but I don't trust him one bit. I'm not wasting ANY pick on him.

• 2 weeks later...

Field Yates is wrong.  Gordon signing his tender only guarantees that no other team will sign him to an offer sheet.  Gordon can still be traded.  Since Gordon's contract is non-guaranteed, Belichick's sole intention might be to trade Gordon.  If there are no takers, he could be cut.  It is no-risk for the Patriots.  Belichick might be forgiving of past transgressions on previous teams, but he isn't very forgiving to players who screw up while a Patriot.  But I still think Belichick keeps him.  It is easier to forgive a player who is uber talented at a position of great need.

17 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

Field Yates is wrong.  Gordon signing his tender only guarantees that no other team will sign him to an offer sheet.  Gordon can still be traded.  Since Gordon's contract is non-guaranteed, Belichick's sole intention might be to trade Gordon.  If there are no takers, he could be cut.  It is no-risk for the Patriots.  Belichick might be forgiving of past transgressions on previous teams, but he isn't very forgiving to players who screw up while a Patriot.  But I still think Belichick keeps him.  It is easier to forgive a player who is uber talented at a position of great need.

Yates probably just meant that Gordon has been signed by the Pats so he'll be playing there, short of a trade. Believe he was an unrestricted free agent so until he signed a contract (tender) with the Pats he could have signed with any NFL team. 

Doubt anybody is offering much for a guy that isn't certain to play. Sure it could happen, Pats gave up some capital (gave 5th round, got 7th round, probably about 45 spots on the draft chart) to get him.

• 3 months later...