[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is It Obvious Not To Tank If It Isn't Clearly Against The Rules?

the lone star

5 members have voted

1. 1. Is It Obvious Not To Tank If It Isn't Clearly Against The Rules?

• Yes, It Is Obvious Not To Tank.
    • No, It Is Not Obvious To Not Tank.

Consider the examples below, are any of them obvious No-Nos? Why or Why Not?

Assume that some people in the current league have played in other leagues where some, and even all, of these were allowed. Also assume that tanking has never been discussed by the current league.

Examples of Tanking
1.) Trading away good players to increase your chances of losing
2.) Benching starters to increase your chances of losing
3.) Starting inactive players to increase your chances of losing
4.) Combination of 1-3.

Can't believe I'm letting myself get dragged into one of these threads, but, is this in a Dynasty/Keeper where one must take a multi-season focus on their team or a redraft league.

If redraft, no way one should ever tank. Play spoiler, etc. but no matter what keep playing your hardest for the entire season, keep managing your roster to maximize it's potential.

If a dynasty/keeper, where current season's performance determines future draft order and one must take a multi-season view, then:

I'm fine with 1 where you trade away a player for youth, picks, etc. that give your team a better chance long term, especially in leagues where players have contracts so you do not own them in perpetuity. In more complex leagues where free agents are bid on, contracts expire, etc. those free agent dollars and earlier picks have a lot more value to a struggling team looking to get better than a player they will have difficulty keeping. In this case, one could put up an argument that not trading the player and doing nothing to change the outlook of the team is more akin to tanking long term than dealing said player is.

I personally would struggle with #2, as I personally always start my best possible lineup with my available players, but so long as an owner is starting active players, it is hard to argue that they aren't doing what is best in the long term for their team, especially in leagues that "reward" the teams that do the worst with higher draft picks. This is why I personally prefer to have some sort of either lottery for the non-playoff teams to determine their draft order, or have them play in their own separate playoff bracket where the "winner" gets the #1 pick the following season. Essentially some sort of system that doesn;t just give the top pick to the worst record, which encourages "tanking".

Heck, I would say just having a rule in place that gives the #1 pick to the worst record means managing towards that is not tanking, as you are essentially actively engaging in an activity that will better your team. To not do so would essentially be mismanaging your team long term.

Absolute no to #3.

I have found it interesting that over the years how many people here have no problem with people tanking or tanking

themselves. I am glad that I am not in a league with those people. 

Tanking, for whatever reason, is cheating. Period. Why anyone would want to be in a league with someone that

thinks nothing of tanking is beyond me.

So if you have no honor or self-respect then go ahead and tank. Glad I am not in a league with you.

If this is a keeper or dynasty league then to me #1 is acceptable as long as you are trading for draft picks or players able to be kept long term. #2 and #3 are not acceptable in any situation. Even in a keeper or dynasty league you always try to put your best possible team on the field.

On 4/10/2019 at 9:52 AM, Big Country said:

so long as an owner is starting active players, it is hard to argue that they aren't doing what is best in the long term for their team, especially in leagues that "reward" the teams that do the worst with higher draft picks.

Nope.  Tanking is wrong even if it is within the best interests of the owner.  A person with even a shred of honor won't tank.  But a not insignificant percentage of people are snakes in the grass.  You can learn a lot about your friends by how they conduct themselves in a fantasy league.

2. Rules should be written as to not encourage tanking.  A lot of league drama can be avoided with well written rules.  If draft positions aren't going to be randomly picked, I like a system that gives the first pick to the team who had the best record and didn't make the playoffs.  The team with the worst record would end up with the 6th pick assuming a 12 person league and 6 teams making the playoffs.  This gives every team incentive to take the whole season seriously.  A lot of tanking isn't an owner purposely putting in a less than optimal lineup.  A lot of tanking is owners who stop paying attention because they have no chance at the playoffs and have no incentive to put any time into it.
Edited by michaelredd9