[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL schedule released tomorrow, WED April 17

DMD

Christmas in April for some schedule hounds I know on another board. Even when I had season tickets I wasn't that eager to find out. 

Will be very surprised if we don't see Browns at Jets for the MNF opener, been rumored by so many for so long it has be. Only worst kept secret on the schedule is the kickoff game being GB-CHI.  Pats most likely host Chiefs or Steelers for opening SNF game. 

Also read somewhere that the international games were announced this morning. 

13 hours ago, Wolverines Fan said:

Thanksgiving games leaked, per profootballtalk.com

Bears at Lions

Dolphins at Cowboys

Saints at Falcons

That's a terrible Thanksgiving day lineup. How about Bears/Packers, Eagles/Cowboys, Pat's/Steelers or something along those lines. They have to stop already with the Lions on Thanksgiving. Nobody wants to see them! 

14 hours ago, loaf said:

I don't get why this is an "event". I mean, I do but I don't

I still don't really get it. these :nerd: on another forum create mock schedules, and all sorts of other stuff that seems :crazy: to me. They over analyze the schedule when it comes out, complain about what is WRONG and how they would have done it different (better of course). 

One of them leaked this apparently the full real schedule on NFL site posted some hours before the TV release show. 

Browns are front loaded with primetime and featured DH slots, backloaded with division games. Also don't care for the 6 week stretch with 1 home game (2 pairs of back to back on road plus the bye) followed by 3 at home. Would be worse if I had tickets, like most fans I preferred closer to a steady home-away rotation. 

2 hours ago, League_Champion said:

That's a terrible Thanksgiving day lineup. How about Bears/Packers, Eagles/Cowboys, Pat's/Steelers or something along those lines. They have to stop already with the Lions on Thanksgiving. Nobody wants to see them! 

The NFL does not need to use high profile games for Thansgiving to get good ratings. The ratings will be huge regardless of who plays, so why waste a PHI-DAL game there, when it can be used elsewhere. 

The kickoff game used to be treated similarly, the SB winner against whoever. But more recently they have been picking one of the best matchups. Of course this year they moved the SB winner opening game to SNF so they can use GB-CHI to start the 100th season celebration.

Last year's schedule for the Vikings was, in my opinion, one of the toughest I can remember, in terms of who they played outside of the division.  NO, SEA, PHI, NE, and LAR (and 4 of those 5 were on the road).  This year's is MAYBE slightly easier (on paper, of course), but they still have road games against LAC, SEA (again), DAL, and KC.  

It's going to be critical that they take care of business at home early in the season, considering all of their divisional road games take place in the first 7 weeks.  On the flipside, if they're still in the hunt, playing GB, DET, and CHI at home, all in the last month of the season, could be huge.  

Of course, I say all of that keeping in mind that this is the Vikings I'm talking about.  They'll probably go out and lose to OAK by four touchdowns at home, then win in KC,.or something to that effect.  :wacko:

9 hours ago, stevegrab said:

The NFL does not need to use high profile games for Thansgiving to get good ratings. The ratings will be huge regardless of who plays, so why waste a PHI-DAL game there, when it can be used elsewhere. 

The kickoff game used to be treated similarly, the SB winner against whoever. But more recently they have been picking one of the best matchups. Of course this year they moved the SB winner opening game to SNF so they can use GB-CHI to start the 100th season celebration.

Your right and I totally get it. I just don't like it. I see 3 blowouts there. 

13 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Your right and I totally get it. I just don't like it. I see 3 blowouts there. 

Ok, fair enough. But those games would be played one week or another, and be broadcast in some markets (and Cowboys quite a few no matter how bad they or the opponent are). 

So instead of having Bill-Cowboys on Thanksgiving you'd like Eagles-Cowboys, with that Bills-Cowboys game some other week. BTW the two DAL-PHI games were schedule for week 7 SNF and week 16 Fox DH game. So moving one of those means a lesser game in that slot, maybe even the BUF-DAL dud.

There are not an infinite supply of great games (and many great games on paper are duds, and vice versa), so when they already have a guaranteed big audience they often use the lesser game.

Its has been a couple decades since I've watched Thanksgiving games live in the tradition most football fans are accustomed. I visit family who live in a rural area, with poor TV reception and no interest in sports. I prefer to spend time with them and DVR the games watching them Saturday night into Sunday morning after I return home from the 500 mile trip. So having some duds that I can skip more of is OK with me ;) 

3 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Ok, fair enough. But those games would be played one week or another, and be broadcast in some markets (and Cowboys quite a few no matter how bad they or the opponent are). 

So instead of having Bill-Cowboys on Thanksgiving you'd like Eagles-Cowboys, with that Bills-Cowboys game some other week. BTW the two DAL-PHI games were schedule for week 7 SNF and week 16 Fox DH game. So moving one of those means a lesser game in that slot, maybe even the BUF-DAL dud.

There are not an infinite supply of great games (and many great games on paper are duds, and vice versa), so when they already have a guaranteed big audience they often use the lesser game.

Its has been a couple decades since I've watched Thanksgiving games live in the tradition most football fans are accustomed. I visit family who live in a rural area, with poor TV reception and no interest in sports. I prefer to spend time with them and DVR the games watching them Saturday night into Sunday morning after I return home from the 500 mile trip. So having some duds that I can skip more of is OK with me ;) 

I can't disagree. But coming from a family of diehard Eagle fans there would be nothing better than watching an Eagle/Cowboy game on Thanksgiving day with family. We are all rarely in the same room for any Eagle game. For me it would take Thanksgiving day to a whole other level. But yes, I'd watch the Bills/Dolphins if they were on that day. But i'm a degenerate football fan, not everyone else is.