Sign in to follow this  
michaelredd9

Will you draft Kyler Murray?

Posted (edited)

Will you draft Kyler Murray in redraft?  If so, will you draft him potentially as your starter or only as a backup?  And what round will you consider drafting him?

Edited by michaelredd9

Seems a little risky at first blush but maybe not. He can probably run and be useful if nothing else.  I guess I am not planning on drafting him likely, but maybe as a secondary QB in a later round 

QB2 no earlier than 10th round

Call me crazy but I would consider drafting him as my QB1.  The Cards didn't bring Kilff Kingsbury aboard AND let Josh Rosen go to draft Kyler Murray to just sit idly by and not run the Air Raid to its fullest extent.  Will it work in the NFL?  Remains to be seen, but it's a gamble I'm willing to take, especially after seeing what Patrick Mahomes did last year.  The Cards actually have some weapons on offense, have a terrible defense, and Kyler will add 5-6 points per game just through his ability to run.  

That being said I would want a fairly stable QB2 in tow just in case.  

not in redraft, man. Best Ball maybe. That line is still going to be a mess. 

He'd likely be my first choice for QB2. Too risky to rely on from the start, too much upside to pass by if I already have a QB. His rushing stats could be very significant.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, loaf said:

That line is still going to be a mess. 

A porous offensive line could force him to run even more.  1,000 yards rushing and 10 rushing touchdowns is a possibility.  Injury is another distinct possibility.

Edited by michaelredd9

1 hour ago, michaelredd9 said:

A porous offensive line could force him to run even more.  1,000 yards rushing and 10 rushing touchdowns is a possibility.  Injury is another distinct possibility.

Your drafting a QB, not an RB. He'll be running for his life in AZ. It's a recipe for disaster. 

13 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Your drafting a QB, not an RB. He'll be running for his life in AZ. It's a recipe for disaster. 

The Bills had a bad offensive line last year.  It forced Josh Allen to run like crazy.  He rushed for 476 yards and 5 rushing touchdowns in the Bills' last 6 games.  He didn't throw for more than 231 yards passing in any of those games.  But he was still the number one scoring fantasy player over the last 6 games of the season because of his rushing stats. 

Maybe Kyler will get hurt.  Or maybe his elusiveness will help him avoid the defensive linemen hits and the coaches will train him to baseball slide a la Russell Wilson to avoid the downfield hits.  In BB10s (MFL10s) drafts since he was selected on April 25th, he has an adp of 141 which is the 20th highest for a quarterback.  I'll gladly take his injury risk at that adp for a quarterback that could potentially be the highest scoring fantasy player.  This could be Robert Griffin III redux.

2 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

The Bills had a bad offensive line last year.  It forced Josh Allen to run like crazy.  He rushed for 476 yards and 5 rushing touchdowns in the Bills' last 6 games.  He didn't throw for more than 231 yards passing in any of those games.  But he was still the number one scoring fantasy player over the last 6 games of the season because of his rushing stats. 

Maybe Kyler will get hurt.  Or maybe his elusiveness will help him avoid the defensive linemen hits and the coaches will train him to baseball slide a la Russell Wilson to avoid the downfield hits.  In BB10s (MFL10s) drafts since he was selected on April 25th, he has an adp of 141 which is the 20th highest for a quarterback.  I'll gladly take his injury risk at that adp for a quarterback that could potentially be the highest scoring fantasy player.  This could be Robert Griffin III redux.

I'm out. I'm not drafting a maybe. Just give me a consistent mid-tier QB and I'm good. I won 2 leagues last year with a waiver wire Jameis Winston. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

I won 2 leagues last year

You keep repeating this statement.  Just because you won a championship doesn't mean every move you made was correct or strategic.  Winston threw for 157 yards, 0 touchdowns, and 1 interception in week 15.  You won your championship despite him, not because of him.  

Whether to draft a quarterback in rounds 3-6 or wait and take a mid-tier quarterback in rounds 8-10 is a difficult decision.  There is no correct answer.  But Kyler has an adp of 141.  Drafting him as your second quarterback has nothing to do with the first dilemma.  In fact, if you draft a mid-tier quarterback as your starter in round 8 or 9, you'd be crazy to bypass Kyler Murray in the 12th round as a backup.

Edited by michaelredd9

Josh Allen and Sam Darnold were very impressive come FFL playoffs time last year - guys that make you vomit were worth playing. The fact that Murray runs makes me more interested but Lamar Jackson was fool's gold. 

I'm thinking the 12th round or later is a possibility. There are just so many startable QBs this year I can't see the value of holding on to this guy for weeks before he starts to get it. OK Cam Newton was insane from the get-go so if you think he's the next Cam then great. I don't think Cam was drafted his rookie year by many either though (I got him off the WW).

57 minutes ago, stethant said:

There are just so many startable QBs this year I can't see the value of holding on to this guy for weeks before he starts to get it. OK Cam Newton was insane from the get-go so if you think he's the next Cam then great. I don't think Cam was drafted his rookie year by many either though (I got him off the WW).

There being so many startable quarterbacks makes the mid-tier ones have almost no value.  There are literally 20-24 solid fantasy quarterbacks this season.  I might draft Kyler as my starter knowing that it'll be easy to replace him if he falters.  And while passing might take time to perfect in the NFL, rushing quarterbacks are usually good at running the ball right away.  So it might not be a matter of waiting for Kyler to start producing in fantasy.  Robert Griffin was the highest scoring fantasy player in the first 4 weeks of his rookie season.  Cam was studly immediately, too.  Russell Wilson, however, didn't start running the ball until later in his rookie season.  I'm not sure why that is.

Here are quarterbacks with adps 8 through 24.  I don't see much difference in value between them and not all of them will be drafted.

8  Matt Ryan ATL QB 101.80 62 123   465    
9  Cam Newton CAR QB 112.10 88 143   465    
10  Jared Goff LA QB 116.78 93 143   465    
11  Ben Roethlisberger PIT QB 121.22 68 145   465    
12  Jameis Winston TB QB 121.78 97 154   465    
13  Carson Wentz PHI QB 127.40 95 155   465    
14  Kirk Cousins MIN QB 132.70 101 160   465    
15  Tom Brady NE QB 133.25 97 163   465    
16  Lamar Jackson BAL QB 134.40 85 166   465    
17  Philip Rivers LAC QB 135.61 111 159   465    
18  Mitchell Trubisky CHI QB 139.71 117 167   465    
19  Josh Allen BUF QB 140.67 96 176   465    
20  Jimmy Garoppolo SF QB 142.05 95 186   465    
21  Dak Prescott DAL QB 143.49 116 171   465    
22  Matthew Stafford DET QB 161.01 135 210   465    
23  Sam Darnold NYJ QB 162.50 135 214   465    
24  Kyler Murray ARZ QB 171.39 101 240   459
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, michaelredd9 said:

There being so many startable quarterbacks makes the mid-tier ones have almost no value.  There are literally 20-24 solid fantasy quarterbacks this season.  I might draft Kyler as my starter knowing that it'll be easy to replace him if he falters.  And while passing might take time to perfect in the NFL, rushing quarterbacks are usually good at running the ball right away.  So it might not be a matter of waiting for Kyler to start producing in fantasy.  Robert Griffin was the highest scoring fantasy player in the first 4 weeks of his rookie season.  Cam was studly immediately, too.  Russell Wilson, however, didn't start running the ball until later in his rookie season.  I'm not sure why that is.

Here are quarterbacks with adps 8 through 24.  I don't see much difference in value between them and not all of them will be drafted.

8  Matt Ryan ATL QB 101.80 62 123   465    
9  Cam Newton CAR QB 112.10 88 143   465    
10  Jared Goff LA QB 116.78 93 143   465    
11  Ben Roethlisberger PIT QB 121.22 68 145   465    
12  Jameis Winston TB QB 121.78 97 154   465    
13  Carson Wentz PHI QB 127.40 95 155   465    
14  Kirk Cousins MIN QB 132.70 101 160   465    
15  Tom Brady NE QB 133.25 97 163   465    
16  Lamar Jackson BAL QB 134.40 85 166   465    
17  Philip Rivers LAC QB 135.61 111 159   465    
18  Mitchell Trubisky CHI QB 139.71 117 167   465    
19  Josh Allen BUF QB 140.67 96 176   465    
20  Jimmy Garoppolo SF QB 142.05 95 186   465    
21  Dak Prescott DAL QB 143.49 116 171   465    
22  Matthew Stafford DET QB 161.01 135 210   465    
23  Sam Darnold NYJ QB 162.50 135 214   465    
24  Kyler Murray ARZ QB 171.39 101 240   459

I wouldn't start Murray. For a QB in fantasy it's all about consistency. I don't think a rookie QB offers you any consistency. But your right that there's not much difference in that veteran bunch. 

Posted (edited)

Personally I’ll probably aim for somebody like Matt Ryan who isn’t very exciting but still puts up deceptively good numbers.  Jameis is a great late round pick up too.  There is so much talent though there is no reason to reach.  If Kyler is still around in the 10th I’ll take him.  I don’t know about before that. 

Those ADP’s look a bit jacked.  Matt Ryan should be higher.  Rivers higher.  Kyler higher and Trubisky and Allen lower IMO

Edited by purplemonster