[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL draft - 2021 = Cleveland, 2023 = Kansas City

flemingd

I went to Nashville this year and it was insane.  Can't imagine what people are gonna do in Cleveland - go to an Indians game in their winter clothing?

KC will be awesome.  I lived in St. Louis for 8 years and only got there once, I will definitely be going for that one.

32 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

It's hard to believe that 600,000 people attended this year's draft.  It must have been like Mardi Gras but without women.  NTTAWWT.

Except for these women.  :lol:

NFL Draft Ruining Bachelorette Parties

Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to attend one.  I must be getting old.  

There were women per se, but sans the exposed boobies.  Which is kind of like what's the point of them being there?  But w/e.

600k might be accurate but it's very misleading.  The "Draft" was a huge stage at the end of Broadway and people were indeed packed all the way up to about 6th avenue at times, but the NFL Experience was across the river at the football stadium.  And the surrounding 5 blocks in any direction is all food/drink/entertainment too, so all of those people had easy access to poke in.  I only spent about 30 minutes on actual Broadway watching the stage, the rest of the time was finding food and drink all over the place.

4 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Except for these women.  :lol:

NFL Draft Ruining Bachelorette Parties

Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to attend one.  I must be getting old.  

Haha we saw a couple of those trolleys trying to move around, they weren't going anywhere.  There was one with a bunch of women all just leaning on their elbows frowning all over the place - no one was actually drinking, no "wooooo"', so dancing.  Had to laugh just a tad but did feel for them as well.  We did ask them to show us the goods but none did.

It is hard to wrap my head around how big the NFL draft has been. They said that the first round had more viewers than an MLB World Series game. When we started The Huddle, you had to wait until Monday to find the results published from the SAT-SUN draft. I was going to go to the draft when it was here in Dallas, but the crowds were insane. The NFL does a nice job of making it an event and there's plenty to see and do when it comes to town. The marketing arm of the NFL did their job with the draft to be sure.

We made a golf trip out of it and didn't actually spend a ton of time at the actual draft.  We'll do the same with Vegas.  Nashville was a great spot for it, I wish they could do it there again because I would make sure I did a lot of things differently now that I know.

17 hours ago, flemingd said:

There were women per se, but sans the exposed boobies.  Which is kind of like what's the point of them being there?  But w/e.

600k might be accurate but it's very misleading.  The "Draft" was a huge stage at the end of Broadway and people were indeed packed all the way up to about 6th avenue at times, but the NFL Experience was across the river at the football stadium.  And the surrounding 5 blocks in any direction is all food/drink/entertainment too, so all of those people had easy access to poke in.  I only spent about 30 minutes on actual Broadway watching the stage, the rest of the time was finding food and drink all over the place.

Right you didn't attend the draft, you were just present nearby while it occurred.

Was there even a seating area for fans to watch near the stage?  (If so I suspect a premium price)  Was it free to attend otherwise?  (How else do you handle a crowd of 100K or more in the streets.)

I live/work about 30 min from CLE, watching the draft doesn't interest me to begin with (last year was first time in ages I went to a bar to watch with friends, since Browns had 2 top 5 picks). As I get older I have little interest standing in an area packed with people with food/drink/bathrooms a long walk away. 

The Football HOF is already talking about having some tie ins and trying to encourage fans in town in NE Ohio to stop by (about an our from downtown CLE) for a visit. 

4 hours ago, loaf said:

How much were tickets? I'm super excited and already planning...not needing a hotel is a plus

34 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Right you didn't attend the draft, you were just present nearby while it occurred.

Was there even a seating area for fans to watch near the stage? 

I attended the draft.

The stage was directly on the waterfront, between the river and 1st Ave.  Mostly production in that area, NFLN on the left corner, ESPN on the right, tech center right in the middle.  VIP seating area, maybe 100 people.  No idea how to get in there, we never even got close to that.  We weren't there for the draft per se so didn't look into that.

The block between 1st Ave and 2nd Ave was cordoned off with gating and I believe that was ticketed SRO.  Probably a few hundred?

Everything behind 2nd Ave was ticket-free, FCFS.  We got downtown Thursday around 4:30 for food, got to Broadway at like 6:00 (first pick at 8:00) and it was backed up to 5th Ave pretty heavily.  You could have elbowed your forward to probably 4th Ave if you were prickish about it.  We didn't try, we checked it out but left and found a bar that had opened that day.  We probably ordered their first beer actually, asked the waitress if they were open, she turned to her co-worker and asked her.  They both shrugged and poured it up.  We stopped there because it had a Prince's Hot Chicken truck parked in their lot and that was on our list of must-try's.  Because it was so new and it was 2 blocks off of Broadway no one knew about it and we had the place mostly to ourselves so we just stayed there.

image.thumb.jpeg.1920de77a3b30d40421c1b384a9ecce0.jpeg

Friday we got there around 7:00 and got down to about 3rd Ave.  Not nearly as many people despite it being Friday night.  We were there about an hour, saw some picks, then headed over to the stadium to check out that part.  We ended up hanging there watching live music, a big screen, and consuming way too much food and drink.

image.thumb.png.b3612ec045945077eb7a44769d6cfc95.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, flemingd said:

I attended the draft.

The stage was directly on the waterfront, between the river and 1st Ave.  Mostly production in that area, NFLN on the left corner, ESPN on the right, tech center right in the middle.  VIP seating area, maybe 100 people.  No idea how to get in there, we never even got close to that.  We weren't there for the draft per se so didn't look into that.

The block between 1st Ave and 2nd Ave was cordoned off with gating and I believe that was ticketed SRO.  Probably a few hundred?

Everything behind 2nd Ave was ticket-free, FCFS.  We got downtown Thursday around 4:30 for food, got to Broadway at like 6:00 (first pick at 8:00) and it was backed up to 5th Ave pretty heavily.  You could have elbowed your forward to probably 4th Ave if you were prickish about it.  We didn't try, we checked it out but left and found a bar that had opened that day.  We probably ordered their first beer actually, asked the waitress if they were open, she turned to her co-worker and asked her.  They both shrugged and poured it up.  We stopped there because it had a Prince's Hot Chicken truck parked in their lot and that was on our list of must-try's.  Because it was so new and it was 2 blocks off of Broadway no one knew about it and we had the place mostly to ourselves so we just stayed there.

image.thumb.jpeg.1920de77a3b30d40421c1b384a9ecce0.jpeg

Friday we got there around 7:00 and got down to about 3rd Ave.  Not nearly as many people despite it being Friday night.  We were there about an hour, saw some picks, then headed over to the stadium to check out that part.  We ended up hanging there watching live music, a big screen, and consuming way too much food and drink.

image.thumb.png.b3612ec045945077eb7a44769d6cfc95.png

Nashville kicks ass no matter what. You could go to a sewing convention there and it would be awesome. I'm not sure about Cleveland. No offense to the people but I've been to Cleveland, it's not Nashville.

Edited by League_Champion

Ugh man don't quote huge posts with huge pics like that, it's a killer for mobile users.

Cleveland will be fine.  There's plenty about the city that's crap but there's plenty to sustain a 3 day visit.  Rock and Roll Hall of Fame alone is worth the trip if you've never been.  I have no idea what kind of shape The Flats is in these days but I am sure by then they will get it presentable.  The biggest concern would be the weather - tons of risk planning outdoor stuff in late April.  The Indians had snow at their home opener ffs. 

We will definitely do KC though, there's some good golf around them there parts!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flemingd said:

Ugh man don't quote huge posts with huge pics like that, it's a killer for mobile users.

Cleveland will be fine.  There's plenty about the city that's crap but there's plenty to sustain a 3 day visit.  Rock and Roll Hall of Fame alone is worth the trip if you've never been.  I have no idea what kind of shape The Flats is in these days but I am sure by then they will get it presentable.  The biggest concern would be the weather - tons of risk planning outdoor stuff in late April.  The Indians had snow at their home opener ffs. 

We will definitely do KC though, there's some good golf around them there parts!

Great food in KC as well. Ask Andy Reid. 

3 hours ago, Chief Dick said:

Should be fun. I'll head down there for sure. If any of you guys decide to come in a few years, send me a PM and I'll buy you a beer. 

:pc: which will be a Busch Light.

Cleveland is no Nashville is right. Nashville is no Vegas...and on and on. 

The weather is what has me concerned.

The Flats has gone through a revitalization as has most of Downtown. If you make it here for the Draft, pm me and I'll let you in on the hidden jewels to eat at and see.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, loaf said:

The Flats has gone through a revitalization as has most of Downtown. If you make it here for the Draft, pm me and I'll let you in on the hidden jewels to eat at and see.

Yep plenty to do and see in CLE, outsiders continue to diss the place many who have spent little time here recently. My company has an annual conference for the users of our software and have done it downtown Cleveland for the past few years. We will continue that and many of our users from all over the US (including executives who go to nice places) say we are doing great things. We regularly hit various eateries near downtown from the warehouse district to East 4th. 

Last year we took a group of about 12 to Cleveland Chop, asked for a table, and were led to a nice private room behind the bar (after being asked if we minded sitting "near the bar") where we had excellent service and great food. (All on company expense reports.)  East 4th has many great places, some of our people went to Lola's and enjoyed it, we have held large group outings at the Corner Alley. Other places there I've been to were all very good including Butcher & Brewer and Zocalo Tequileria. Shame the Tilted Kilt closed, I would go back there again :) 

Weather is going to be the key, and where they hold it. Local officials involved say the NFL really wants the lake as a backdrop, which means a few limited options right along the lake. That could be very cold if it is clear and sunny, let alone if we get a blast of winter. One person even mentioned Burke Lakefront Airport which has been used for Indy Car races and air shows in the past. 

One place I haven't been to yet that I'm going to check out is Bar 32 at the top of the Hilton Downtown, bar with patio looking out on the lake. Well that and Hofbrau Haus for some schnitzel.

I'm always hearing nice things about Cleveland but maybe it's because I'm from Wisconsin.  Cleveland definitely is a step up from Milwaukee.  I know lots of people who go to Cleveland for a weekend and have a great time.  The foodie scene definitely gets talked about a lot on the Food Network probably because of Michael Symon.  The draft seems like something that should only be planned a week ahead when the weather forecast is available.  And I couldn't see driving more than a few hours for the draft.  It's just a bunch of dudes walking around the streets drinking beer and eating food.  It's sounds like it's basically Oktoberfest.  I think if I wanted to actually see Cleveland I'd go during a time when there isn't so many people.

7 hours ago, loaf said:

If your not a gambler Vegas is a gawdy overhyped toilet. Sorry, it is. 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2019 at 12:29 PM, michaelredd9 said:

I'm always hearing nice things about Cleveland but maybe it's because I'm from Wisconsin.  Cleveland definitely is a step up from Milwaukee.  I know lots of people who go to Cleveland for a weekend and have a great time.  The foodie scene definitely gets talked about a lot on the Food Network probably because of Michael Symon.  The draft seems like something that should only be planned a week ahead when the weather forecast is available.  And I couldn't see driving more than a few hours for the draft.  It's just a bunch of dudes walking around the streets drinking beer and eating food.  It's sounds like it's basically Oktoberfest.  I think if I wanted to actually see Cleveland I'd go during a time when there isn't so many people.

Really?  I always heard Summerfest was awesome.  Miller Park looks fun.  I've been to Chicago plenty of times and went up to Door County many times as well but never got a chance to spend any time in Milwaukee.  

On 5/24/2019 at 12:35 PM, League_Champion said:

If your not a gambler Vegas is a gawdy overhyped toilet. Sorry, it is. 

We shot Sharknado 4 in Vegas and if I were not a degenerate drunk at the time, I probably would have hated it.