[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

18 Game Regular Season Considered

DMD

The NFL playing an 18-game season  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favor of an 18 game NFL season?

• Yes - the more the merrier
    • No - players are right and the season is long enough already
    • Doesn't matter to me.

One of the points considered in the new CBA that will go into effect in 2021 (assuming that the lawyers don't mess it up) is for the NFL to play an 18 game schedule instead of the current 16 game. The NFLPA has always come out against this for safety and health reasons (and I agree, among other reasons). But it would shorten the preseason and that makes season ticket holders happy since they have to pay for the nonsensical games.

Not sure how this translates into fantasy football if it happened.  Regular season through Week 15 and then playoffs in Weeks 16 and 17? Seems the final game of the year would be even less likely to be played in earnest if teams want healthy squads for the playoffs if they locked down a seed.

Would you support an 18 game season?

More regular season games and less pre-season I'm on board with it, was a season ticket holder for 15 years and hated paying for those useless games. I know more teams have changed pricing since, charging more for regular season (even tiers for some bigger games) and less for preseason.

I just wonder how the NFL is going to handle the schedule. If they don't start the regular season earlier it means moving the SB later. Even if they were to eliminate the off week before the SB it still means one week later. 

Some years ago the NFL changed their start of season to avoid starting on Labor Day weekend, which was common when I first had season tickets (early 90s). If they start earlier will they play on Labor Day weekend, or have a bye for all teams. Maybe start 

One reason I'll dislike it is I have an event I go to for the weekend in late August, if that turns into a full NFL weekend I'm missing more games or playing catch up on DVR when I get home. (I already do that a couple times during the year.)

As for fantasy it will move up the draft from our traditional Tuesday after Labor Day and require being prepared earlier (which I have trouble with already). 

I can take it or leave it, I also think the current 32 teams with 8 divisions of four makes for very uniform scheduling and hope they don't change that. But with all the games in London I do wonder how long before they try to find an owner willing to move there. 

If this change occurs and they start 2-3 weeks earlier it will be weird for NFL to start before college, which usually starts 1-2 weeks after the first weekend of HS football in Ohio. 

18 games with a bye week means 4.5 months of regular season football.  Another few weeks of preseason, and 5 weeks of playoffs, you have 6 months of actual football.  

After that is free agency, combine, and draft.  And then OTA'S, minicamp, training camp.  

It just seems like you might strangle to golden goose a bit but I don't know.  I love football as much as the next guy but maybe better leaving the fans wanting more.  

Edited by purplemonster
  • Like 1

Not liking an extension of the season.

Seasonal / career stats for players would easily start breaking records even if it's mediocre on a weekly basis.

More games lessen the "every week counts" appeal.

Don't mind dropping 2 or 3 pre-season games.

Not a season ticket holder, so no effect on me there. Haven't been to a game in a very long time, so it doesn't matter to me either.

Takes away a few more "sleep in Sundays" though. Or another family day each year. Not cool with that.

Poor Jim Brown and his seasonal / career stats , we will never know how good he was because when he played there was only 12 & 14 games per season

1943-1945
10 games
11 games
1947-1960
12 games
1961-1977
14 games
1978-present
16 games

28 minutes ago, MustOfBeenDrunk said:

Poor Jim Brown and his seasonal / career stats , we will never know how good he was because when he played there was only 12 & 14 games per season

1943-1945
10 games
11 games
1947-1960
12 games
1961-1977
14 games
1978-present
16 games

In about 35 years time the number of games increased 4 times and overall increased by more than 50% over the oldest number. 

It has been 16 games for such a long time that is all most fans know. I remember the 14 game era in the 70s, and sometimes looking at stats I forget those guys played fewer games, so a season or career number meant something different.

I'd be very surprised if any serious proposal has the season lasting longer. But that would mean playing on (or at least starting before) Labor Day weekend.

More games in the season also complicates the scheduling a bit, what 2 extra teams do you play? Maybe another game in each division of the other conference where you don't play every team, sometimes referred to as placement games (Browns finished 3rd in AFCN, we play AFCN twice, AFCE once, and 3rd place from AFC south (Titans) and west (Broncos). So maybe we'd also play the 4th place team (3rd and 4th plays 3/4, 1st and 2nd play 1/2). Well that was easy ;) 

1 hour ago, Def. said:

Only see it working with 2 bye weeks per team. 

Man, that adds some complexity to fantasy roster management. Too much IMO.

2 hours ago, DMD said:

Man, that adds some complexity to fantasy roster management. Too much IMO.

Oh I know...and that's one of the reasons I'm not for it in anyway.  But gotta be realistic brother, they simply cannot handle an 18 game schedule.  Whether its because of the minimum amount of game time practice they've negotiated into the CBA or because players are simply bigger/faster/stronger (supposedly), adding more games is just going to expand an ever increasing IR situation.  Just can't see it happening without 2 bye weeks to give some kind of regular rest interval. 

2 hours ago, Def. said:

Oh I know...and that's one of the reasons I'm not for it in anyway.  But gotta be realistic brother, they simply cannot handle an 18 game schedule.  Whether its because of the minimum amount of game time practice they've negotiated into the CBA or because players are simply bigger/faster/stronger (supposedly), adding more games is just going to expand an ever increasing IR situation.  Just can't see it happening without 2 bye weeks to give some kind of regular rest interval. 

I'm sure you are right. Cannot see it any other way I guess. But that really extends the season.

A long time ago there was 2 bye weeks in a season.  I remember that year was not real fun for fantasy.  This would have a major effect on the high stakes contests.

FFPC it would actually help (If they kept byes at 1 per team) because I am tired of seeing the week 12 bye teams when they start their league playoffs in week 12.  Kelce, Mahomes, Gordon, Allen ect all on bye this year when the playoffs begin and when you are playing for $250K or $500K main event and you have to decide in your draft do I draft a stud or pass on him because they bye on week 12 that just isn't how fantasy football should be played.

As far as schedule goes it kind of wrecks it though.  FFPC they play 11 games 1 per team so with more weeks they go to all play weeks like the others do ?

RTS has 1 and NFFC has 2 do they just extend to 3 and 4 ?

In your local leagues at least mine we start playoffs week 14 for both dynasty and redraft.

I used to play week 17 in these so we had 14 game season now we do 13 games and 3 playoff weeks.

So we could go back to 14 games and end in week 17 but then have no football for 2-3 weeks ?  That is no fun.  Week 17 off is one thing now but to have 2-3 weeks off no one going to like that and we have no idea how teams will approach it.

Basically its a mess for fantasy football.

For real life players don't need the extra games.  Also I heard of talk of going to 7 playoff teams only 1 seed gets a bye.  Don't like that much either.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ramhock said:

We know how great Jim Brown is. Only athlete to be arguably the GOAT in 2 sports. Best athlete of all time.

Is lacrosse the second sport Brown was GOAT in?  I recall hearing he did some track and field at Syracuse. But in looking further I see he is in the LaCrosse hall of fame. 

9 hours ago, CowboysDiehard said:

Kinda like the concept of adding one game, one bye week, and extending super bowl weekend to President's Day weekend.

I could handle that too.  One extra game is fine.  Two gets a little tough because of wear and tear.  Cut at least one preseason game.  There is just not good enough reason to play 4 of them if you ask me.  

50 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

I could handle that too.  One extra game is fine.  Two gets a little tough because of wear and tear.  Cut at least one preseason game.  There is just not good enough reason to play 4 of them if you ask me.  

Agree, in some way shape or form the preseason has to go. It's just a money grab for teams.