[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

18 Game Regular Season Considered

DMD

The NFL playing an 18-game season  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favor of an 18 game NFL season?

• Yes - the more the merrier
    • No - players are right and the season is long enough already
    • Doesn't matter to me.

4 hours ago, Big John said:

College football?

Most college football teams play cupcakes in their first 2-3 games.  But yeah, there are some that get right to it.

Pre-season is needed in the NFL to determine backups' level of play.

I think they could cut one preseason game out, though.

18-game season is NOT happening though, according to a source close to Dan Patrick.  

4 hours ago, darin3 said:

Most college football teams play cupcakes in their first 2-3 games.  But yeah, there are some that get right to it.

Pre-season is needed in the NFL to determine backups' level of play.

I think they could cut one preseason game out, though.

18-game season is NOT happening though, according to a source close to Dan Patrick.  

Backups make the team in training camp. The preseason is nothing more than an easy money grab for owners. That's why they'll never cancel the preseason games 

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

Backups make the team in training camp. The preseason is nothing more than an easy money grab for owners. That's why they'll never cancel the preseason games 

Your opinion.  From my understanding, there is a lot of "slotting" that happens... especially at the back-end, during the pre-season.

Can it be cut to 3 games?  Absolutely.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

Pre season isn't worthless.  Guys make careers who would otherwise get cut and backups become starters.

Why can't that be determined in camp? At least in camp they can play against better competition. In the preseason they are playing against a bunch of stiffs that have no chance of making the NFL. I think you are overvaluing the preseason. 

On 6/6/2019 at 7:16 AM, loaf said:

every sport has a preseason. It's needed

The "its just a money grab and not needed" comments are just dumb. 

The only money grab is teams forcing season ticket holders to buy pre-season tickets. don't think any of the other major sports do that. 

3 hours ago, stevegrab said:

The "its just a money grab and not needed" comments are just dumb. 

The only money grab is teams forcing season ticket holders to buy pre-season tickets. don't think any of the other major sports do that. 

That's the point Steve. If the owners couldn't find a way to make money off it there wouldn't be a preseason. #MoneyGrab 

On 6/7/2019 at 2:28 PM, loaf said:

I definitely agree that it's a sham to force season ticket holders to pay for preseason games. They should at least reduce the cost for those games.

Some teams have done that, with various ticket prices for different tiers of games. I recall the 49ers may have been one of the first when moving into their new stadium. From what I recall reading when this was done the pre-season prices were cut a bit, whiles others increased, the overall cost to a season ticket holder was unlikely to be lower than the prior season. (And you were still obligated to buy them if getting season ticket.)

So at least some teams were recognizing they truly have a lower value.

6 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Some teams have done that, with various ticket prices for different tiers of games. I recall the 49ers may have been one of the first when moving into their new stadium. From what I recall reading when this was done the pre-season prices were cut a bit, whiles others increased, the overall cost to a season ticket holder was unlikely to be lower than the prior season. (And you were still obligated to buy them if getting season ticket.)

So at least some teams were recognizing they truly have a lower value.

The Eagles make you buy them at full price with a season ticket package. It's total BS.