Sign in to follow this  
DMD

49ers and the "positionless" offense

Recommended Posts

Interesting article on the NinersWire

 

 

There have been positive reviews of Dante Pettis recently but all I can think of when I read the article was that the 49ers offense may be a headache to project every week if this holds true.

 

Excerpt:

 

Quote

“Positionless” is the phrase du jour for describing what the 49ers are building on offense. They’re stocking up on players who allow them to vary their play calls and formations without ever changing the personnel. That layer of unpredictability is potentially deadly in a league where opposing coaches feast on tendencies.

 

Shanahan was already on the forefront of this concept last season. San Francisco ran 11 personnel (one running back, one tight end) with three receivers only 39 percent of the time last season, according to Sharp Football Stats. The next-lowest in the league was New Orleans at 53 percent. The NFL as a whole used 11 personnel a whopping 66 percent of the time, and passed out of that formation at the same rate. San Francisco passed out of 11 personnel 83 percent of the time. It’s the most predictable of the common personnel groupings, and the 49ers utilized it far less than the rest of the league.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only guys I want from that offense are Kittle and Garappolo.  RBs and WRs are going to be headaches.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, darin3 said:

Only guys I want from that offense are Kittle and Garappolo.  RBs and WRs are going to be headaches.

 

A lot of potential in ppr for mckinnon and coleman, especially with the possibility of injury (which the rbs had last year...everyone looked good in the offense).

 

Of course, this could turn into a repeat of his father.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, darin3 said:

Only guys I want from that offense are Kittle and Garappolo.  RBs and WRs are going to be headaches.

 

Totally agree.

 

Shanahanigans at rb, like his father used to do, and kyle is going to do it at wr, too. :kicksrock:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, darin3 said:

Only guys I want from that offense are Kittle and Garappolo.  RBs and WRs are going to be headaches.

 

A "positionless" offense where everyone gets the same # of around 6-8 touches/targets may be great for analytics, or unpredictability, or winning, but this is spot on and not good for your FFL team at all. We use tendencies in FFL just like the NFL and without them good luck with your crystal ball. Like I need more than 95% luck?

Edited by stethant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, League_Champion said:

I'm not a Garappolo fan. He wouldn't be my QB1. Of course I love Kittle and would consider Goodwin as a late round pick. 

 

No offense, guy, but you have some weird takes.  Care to unpack why you don't like Garappolo?  The guy has put up pretty solid numbers when the starter.  

 

Not sure how you could "love" Kittle and want to take a flier on Goodwin and not at least have some fantasy respect for Garappolo.

 

Weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, darin3 said:

 

No offense, guy, but you have some weird takes.  Care to unpack why you don't like Garappolo?  The guy has put up pretty solid numbers when the starter.  

 

Not sure how you could "love" Kittle and want to take a flier on Goodwin and not at least have some fantasy respect for Garappolo.

 

Weird.

 

What exactly has Garappolo done? What's his body of work? A guy like Jameis Winston will get you MUCH more bang for your buck than Jimmy will. I'm not against taking him late but there's much better options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

 

What exactly has Garappolo done? What's his body of work? A guy like Jameis Winston will get you MUCH more bang for your buck than Jimmy will. I'm not against taking him late but there's much better options.

 

Dude.  Garappolo got hurt last year.  I think everyone knows that.  In his 3 games played he averaged 19.4 ppg.  Not a great sample size.  

 

And again, not a great sample size but in his 4 starts in 2017 he averaged 22.4 ppg.  

 

Not going to turn this in to a Winston vs. Garappolo thing, but both have risks associated with them.  As do a lot of players.

 

Shanahan's offense is QB-friendly for fantasy stats.  As others will tell you here, you can wait on QB and take a guy like Garappolo and get very good results.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, darin3 said:

 

Dude.  Garappolo got hurt last year.  I think everyone knows that.  In his 3 games played he averaged 19.4 ppg.  Not a great sample size.  

 

And again, not a great sample size but in his 4 starts in 2017 he averaged 22.4 ppg.  

 

Not going to turn this in to a Winston vs. Garappolo thing, but both have risks associated with them.  As do a lot of players.

 

Shanahan's offense is QB-friendly for fantasy stats.  As others will tell you here, you can wait on QB and take a guy like Garappolo and get very good results.  

 

I don't disagree. I'm just not as high on him as you are. I'm not confident with him as my #1. That's just me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

 

I don't disagree. I'm just not as high on him as you are. I'm not confident with him as my #1. That's just me. 

 

I'm not super-high on him.  I just accept the fact you can wait on QB and still find production.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, darin3 said:

 

I'm not super-high on him.  I just accept the fact you can wait on QB and still find production.

 

We totally agree on that. I believe in streaming my QB's and it's been quite successful. You don't need a number one to win in fantasy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, darin3 said:

 

No offense, guy, but you have some weird takes.  Care to unpack why you don't like Garappolo?  The guy has put up pretty solid numbers when the starter.  

 

Not sure how you could "love" Kittle and want to take a flier on Goodwin and not at least have some fantasy respect for Garappolo.

 

Weird.

Not liking Garrapollo seems like a fairly normal take. He might be wrong but it's not weird. And Kittle had a great season last year without Garrapollo.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jackass said:

Not liking Garrapollo seems like a fairly normal take. He might be wrong but it's not weird. And Kittle had a great season last year without Garrapollo.

 

It's not just the posts in this thread.  The guy just has a "I'll throw this dart blindly" kind of thing going.  


To reiterate, I'd love to have Kittle.  He'll be a stud regardless of QB it seems.  

 

And to confirm, I think Garappolo will be a solid fantasy QB this season and beyond.  

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, darin3 said:

 

It's not just the posts in this thread.  The guy just has a "I'll throw this dart blindly" kind of thing going.  


To reiterate, I'd love to have Kittle.  He'll be a stud regardless of QB it seems.  

 

And to confirm, I think Garappolo will be a solid fantasy QB this season and beyond.  

 

Don't "this guy" me buddy. Your obviously a mark for Garappolo, I'm not. Why does it bother you that I don't like Garappolo? In a 10 team league he's a QB2. That's all I'm saying. And I'm right. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, League_Champion said:

 

Don't "this guy" me buddy.   

 

:lol:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, League_Champion said:

 

Don't "this guy" me buddy. Your obviously a mark for Garappolo, I'm not. Why does it bother you that I don't like Garappolo? In a 10 team league he's a QB2. That's all I'm saying. And I'm right. 

 

OK.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This whole thread.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.