[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pass Intereference is now reviewable

DMD

The NFL Competition Committee unanimously recommended the rule for instant replay of pass interference for this season only, the league announced Thursday. This comes exactly one week after the league announced teams had a week to provide additional feedback on the final rule.

According to the final rule, pass interference reviews after the two-minute warning of each half and during overtime will be initiated by the replay official. The replay official will only stop the game when there is "clear and obvious visual evidence" that a pass interference penalty may or may not have occurred.

In an effort to limit excessive stoppages, any stoppage will occur under stricter criteria than other reviewable plays. Calls will only be reversed based on "clear and obvious visual evidence" that an incorrect call was made, which is the same standard for all reviews.

Even under two minutes, all passing plays can be reviewed for pass interference. Any "Hail Mary" play at the end of a half or game will be reviewed in replay consistent with the guidelines for officiating the play on the field.

The @NFL Competition Committee today unanimously recommended the rule approved in March for instant replay of pass interference remain in effect for the 2019 season only. 

7 hours ago, League_Champion said:

How about you hire referees that aren't 75 years old and train them better? Just a thought. Or why have referees on the field at all? 

So get better reviews or maybe just don't have refs at all.  That's quite a range of options there.

How about we all wait to see how it works out before overreacting.

On 6/21/2019 at 1:11 PM, stevegrab said:

How about we all wait to see how it works out 

How about no. The rule has already been recycled, reconstituted, and muddled and it's going to ultimately cost a team a game on technicalities and piss everyone off.    We've witnessed these things for a good decade plus now. 

The NFL has done almost nothing to address ref issues except routinely adding difficult to interpret rules year after year. Are you satisfied with the the outcomes of replay reviews for completing the catch?  The NFL can't figure out what a freaking catch is; but they are going to be able to magically figure out PI during review?  Bollocks. 

I believe the last major all encompassing internal review and edit of the NFL rule-book was something like 1974 or 1978.  How about revisiting that and acknowledging the game has changed and the rules could be streamlined or enhanced.  How about getting refs lined up with consistent crews and paid full time?  You know, addressing the heart of the issues instead of knee-jerk duct tape and band-aids.  

Edited by Bobby Brown

On 6/21/2019 at 5:01 PM, Bobby Brown said:

How about no. The rule has already been recycled, reconstituted, and muddled and it's going to ultimately cost a team a game on technicalities and piss everyone off.    We've witnessed these things for a good decade plus now. 

The NFL has done almost nothing to address ref issues except routinely adding difficult to interpret rules year after year. Are you satisfied with the the outcomes of replay reviews for completing the catch?  The NFL can't figure out what a freaking catch is; but they are going to be able to magically figure out PI during review?  Bollocks. 

I believe the last major all encompassing internal review and edit of the NFL rule-book was something like 1974 or 1978.  How about revisiting that and acknowledging the game has changed and the rules could be streamlined or enhanced.  How about getting refs lined up with consistent crews and paid full time?  You know, addressing the heart of the issues instead of knee-jerk duct tape and band-aids.  

If you're still hung up on "the NFL doesn't know what a catch is" I'm not going to bother trying to have a discussion. That was something from a season or two ago, not something that was a problem last year or going forward.

I get it, some people expect no mistakes, perfect call on every play, no review to slow the game down, etc. They watch lots of sports, they can spot a bad call easily and think it is a simple thing to overturn the really bad calls and ignore everything else. But that isn't going to happen, replay is here to stay, it is all the major sports now. Yes it will add time, the hope is that isn't a lot of time and it results in the correct calls being made. (I personally don't really care much about the time, I watch most most things including sports on DVR to skip commercials other stuff I don't care to watch [including dead time that occurs with long reviews, halftime, endless pre-game hype, etc.])

The complaining by so many fans would hold more weight if those fans actually watched less of the sport because of the things they complain about, but I rarely see that. 

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

If you're still hung up on "the NFL doesn't know what a catch is" I'm not going to bother trying to have a discussion. That was something from a season or two ago, not something that was a problem last year or going forward.

You've said this before and I still don't get it - it remains totally unclear, to me at least, what a catch is. This has become less clear, not more clear in the last 5 years

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

The complaining by so many fans would hold more weight if those fans actually watched less of the sport because of the things they complain about, but I rarely see that. 

On this point I unfortunately agree with you. The leverage fans have is tremendous but they don't seem to care or realize that

5 hours ago, stevegrab said:

I get it, some people expect no mistakes, perfect call on every play, no review to slow the game down, etc.

That certainly wasn't what I said Stevie.     I'm okay with replay.  I'm against the NFL routinely using failed quick fixes in a reactionary manner instead of taking a proactive systematic approach to the ruling and referring issues.  And the catch rule has been fubared since at least 2010.  They revised it in 2015 and 2018; so hopefully they are where they need to be now with one of the most fundamental and basic actions in football.  Going by history, and how much more difficult it is judge PI; we can expect the NFL to make pass interference great again by 2050.  

Edited by Bobby Brown
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stevegrab said:

It has been inconsistent and problematic since the calvin johnson catch.

Edited by Bier Meister

On 6/24/2019 at 4:40 PM, Bier Meister said:

It has been inconsistent and problematic since the calvin johnson catch.

(what is a catch)

I feel it was cleared up for 2018 season, that whole bit with having to retain control of the ball as you go to the ground went away. Yes prior to that, since that play by Calvin it was maddening.

My issue with replay is how they use it to look for any small thing to overturn a ruling, or change what is clearly obvious to the naked eye to be the opposite. I'm also not a fan of the reactionary rule changes, a bad call in a key game results in allowing review of PI, because the refs were obviously blind (or corrupt) in that case and played a major part in the result. 

I wish they'd use more technology to get rid of things like bad spots, was the ball over the goal line etc. stop relying on the human eye, it would be like still using stop watches and humans to time things like Olympic track, swimming etc. 

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 1:09 PM, League_Champion said:

Wow, brilliant. The more you speak the more ignorant you become. 

Uhg.  Don't be a twatty little stalker because I twisted your titties in the fan thread

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Like it isn't bad enough already when our guy scores a TD we hold our breath that replay does not over turn it on the 1 yard line or out of bounds we now have to hold our breath on every single catch or TD because we never know when some coach (or in final 2 minutes) a play gets stopped to review for an off pass interference.

I personally hate it.  I am all for getting a call right but refs are human and human is part of the game on judgements calls.  This is going to open a huge can of worms and it is really going to make fantasy football that much more painful for us when we have our catches and TD's taken away on replay pass interference calls.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Henry Muto said:

Like it isn't bad enough already when our guy scores a TD we hold our breath that replay does not over turn it on the 1 yard line or out of bounds we now have to hold our breath on every single catch or TD because we never know when some coach (or in final 2 minutes) a play gets stopped to review for an off pass interference.

I personally hate it.  I am all for getting a call right but refs are human and human is part of the game on judgements calls.  This is going to open a huge can of worms and it is really going to make fantasy football that much more painful for us when we have our catches and TD's taken away on replay pass interference calls.

It won't be every single catch or TD, most will obviously not be pass interference. Point taken for the ones that are aggressively contested. But we're all going to have to live with holding our breath.