[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Melvin Gordon to sit out training camp

DMD

Looks like he was made an offer, but was 'disrepected' by it.. from NFL.com

"We received an offer -- talks had been dead -- but we received an offer that wasn't a fair offer based on what Melvin has done, where he was drafted, and how he's performed, making two of the last four Pro Bowls," Bilbo (his agent) said. "It was disrespectful."

32 minutes ago, Piranha said:

"We received an offer -- talks had been dead -- but we received an offer that wasn't a fair offer based on what Melvin has done, where he was drafted, and how he's performed, making two of the last four Pro Bowls," Bilbo (his agent) said. "It was disrespectful."

Not good! I like Gordon and hopes he gets what he deserves. The fact is that it's not a running back league. Teams are winning Superbowls without big ticket running backs. 

2 hours ago, Piranha said:

One contract to rule them all...

SS3.JPG.0ddd3428321da10943a6ff4466074efd.JPG

• Haha 2

No chance I would pay Gordon.  Guy is already having injury concerns.  Just say good day sir, thank you for your service.  

Gurley shouldn't be the standard because the Rams are going to lose big on it likely. The sad truth is RB's are battering rams for their rookie contracts then become used goods.  Some people continue to pay backs premium $ after the rookie contract and they often end up disappointed.  

Edited by purplemonster
  • Like 1

Wait -- the Chargers alienating players in contract negotiations???? Nah, can't happen....oh wait yeah there's still a Spanos at the top.

Burn this franchise to the ground, salt the earth, and give it a thousand years.

On 7/16/2019 at 2:48 PM, thefantasygurus99 said:

really is a shame what happens to running backs in this league. the numbers about performance as they age doesn't lie, just seems unfair

Agreed, and the window to make money is much shorter than other positions (unless you're made of titanium like Frank Gore).

Thought this was funny from 1996. No way a RB gets the biggest contract in the NFL anymore. Not even remotely close. His was bigger than any QB.

Emmitt Smith NFL’s Highest-Paid Player With $63 Million Deal

August 12, 1996

IRVING, Texas (AP) _ The Dallas Cowboys gave the NFL’s best running back the league’s biggest contract today, rewarding Emmitt Smith with an eight-year deal worth $63 million.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and Smith came together at Texas Stadium to announce the new pact, which keeps the star runner under contract to Dallas until he is 35. (He made it to 33 at least, then two years with Arizona).

``This is a cornerstone event for this franchise,″ Jones said. ``Emmitt has no peer in my mind, no peer today in sports.″

Jones said Smith will earn $48 million over eight seasons, plus a $15 million signing bonus. Both the salary and bonus are the highest in league history.

Most contracts are only guaranteed a year at a time, leaving only the signing bonus guaranteed.

New England Patriots quarterback Drew Bledsoe, coincidentally in town to play the Cowboys in an exhibition game Monday night, had been the league’s highest-paid player with his seven-year, $42 million pact, including bonuses.

Smith, who had one season left on his contract, had been waiting for Jones to renegotiate his contract since the Cowboys signed free-agent Deion Sanders to a $35 million deal last year.

Jones had promised to do so, but the negotiations dragged on as the regular season _ and the likelihood for a contract collision _ neared.

``I believed that the deal was going to get done and he showed that with a little work and a different approach to things it would get done, and it definitely did get done,″ Smith said.

Smith has won four rushing titles in six NFL seasons. Last year, he set a league record with 25 touchdowns while leading the Cowboys to their third Super Bowl victory in four years.

Jones said his intention is to ensure that Smith ``be with the Cowboys as long as he’s ever playing the game of football.″

``The facts are he’s challenging the very best that have ever played his position,″ Jones said.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting ugly. I'm not sure they'll be able work this one out.

Melvin Gordon's agent told ESPN's Josina Anderson that he requested last week that the Los Angeles Chargers trade the running back after the team remained at its initial offer of approximately $10 million per season.

Agent Damarius Bilbo told Anderson that Chargers general manager Tom Telesco told him the Pro Bowl running back is still viewed as family and that Bilbo was not given permission to seek trade partners.

Ugh, really need this cat in one of my dynasty leagues.  Hoping they come to an agreement in the next few weeks.  

What teams out there would be potential trade partners where he'd step right in as their feature back?  I think I heard IND and JAX on ESPN but how much would Marlon Mack eat into his production if IND?  And what about Fournette?   He looked pretty good when healthy.

Edit to add:

This site says Bucs or Texans

Edited by darin3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, darin3 said:

Ugh, really need this cat in one of my dynasty leagues.  Hoping they come to an agreement in the next few weeks.  

What teams out there would be potential trade partners where he'd step right in as their feature back?  I think I heard IND and JAX on ESPN but how much would Marlon Mack eat into his production if IND?  And what about Fournette?   He looked pretty good when healthy.

Edit to add:

This site says Bucs or Texans

Indy would be a great spot. He'd kill it there. I just don't know teams financial situation. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know that I would pay Gordon even David Johnson money.  I think Ekeler has the capability to do most of what Gordon does for them. I'm not saying he's as good but for the $ he's the better buy. Plus Justin Jackson is more than adequate backup. 

I'm not going near Gordon in fantasy this season. I could potentially see him sitting out like Bell did last year. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, buckemdown said:

I don't know that I would pay Gordon even David Johnson money.  I think Ekeler has the capability to do most of what Gordon does for them. I'm not saying he's as good but for the $ he's the better buy. Plus Justin Jackson is more than adequate backup. 

I'm not going near Gordon in fantasy this season. I could potentially see him sitting out like Bell did last year. 

I agree. And there's been no chatter regarding Gordon. I think this one is gonna get ugly. 

25 minutes ago, Big John said:

NFLN is saying the holdout is likely going into the regular season.

When your backup puts up the similar numbers (per touch) that you do, your leverage is gone.   You agreed to and signed a contract, honor it already. 

9 minutes ago, stethant said:

Question is: is Gordon now on your do-not-draft list or how far would he have to fall for you to take a stab at him? I wouldn't bite before round 8 i don't think. 

IIRC, he adamantly supported Bell last year and Bell is supporting him. I can see him sitting the year out, but the problem is he won't get the money that Bell got.

7 hours ago, stethant said:

Question is: is Gordon now on your do-not-draft list or how far would he have to fall for you to take a stab at him? I wouldn't bite before round 8 i don't think. 

I agree. He'd have to fall pretty far for me to draft him as well. I don't think this holdout ends anytime soon. Perhaps he's traded somewhere.