[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Melvin Gordon to sit out training camp

DMD

1 hour ago, DMD said:

What team could afford a monster contract right now? A trade now? Just doesn't seem very likely since he wants a new contract.

Maybe if he signs with contender he would play the year and then get new deal next season.

Agree, not many would take him.  HOU and TB makes the most sense as far as need for RB1.  I think Duke will be okay, but until HOU leadership sees the first couple games I'm sure they are not 100% sold yet.

18 hours ago, 8rattoon said:

As an Ekeler owner I am hoping so badly that LAC don't sign McCoy...

18 hours ago, Shorttynaz said:

It's not McCoy you'd have to worry about.  The guy to worry about is already on the roster.  Justin Jackson. 

I managed to snag Melvin Gordon for AJ Green in a trade yesterday. So glad McCoy isn't going to LA. Now I'm feeling pretty good about this season - I hope Gordon goes to a team that allows him to do what he does best. 

2 hours ago, LordOpie said:

has any player in this situation ever said, "ok, you don't want to give me more money, so let's compromise... I'll play this year, but in turn, we add a clause that makes me a full free agent next year, no tagging, nothing." This way, the team gets the player and the player gets his money, next season?

I'm pretty sure I remember that happening but I can't recall with which player.

3 hours ago, LordOpie said:

has any player in this situation ever said, "ok, you don't want to give me more money, so let's compromise... I'll play this year, but in turn, we add a clause that makes me a full free agent next year, no tagging, nothing." This way, the team gets the player and the player gets his money, next season?

The whole premise of sitting out is so that they don't get hurt without a contract. So why would anyone do that? 

41 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I hear ya. How much $$$ did Bell lose by holding out?? A ton. 

How did Bell lose a ton of $$$? He lost $19 million with the franchise tag, but was guaranteed nothing after that, if he gets injured he's screwed. His Jets deal could maximize at $61 million, but more importantly he has $25 million guaranteed. The proposed contract with the Steelers was worth approximately $70 million with rolling guarantees, starting at approximately $20 million the first year. One can easily argue that he lost money with his holdout, but at minimal he protected his financial future by waiting for a more stable contract. 

• Thanks 1

Gordon is now following 

Philadelphia Eagles

Ronald Darby

Corey Clement

San Francisco 49ers

Atlanta Falcons

Oakland Raiders

I don't see anything about him following players on the other teams. Just nabbed him at 5.06 in a draft a few hours ago.......c'monnn Howie! 

3 hours ago, Shaft said:

How did Bell lose a ton of $$$? He lost $19 million with the franchise tag, but was guaranteed nothing after that, if he gets injured he's screwed. His Jets deal could maximize at $61 million, but more importantly he has $25 million guaranteed. The proposed contract with the Steelers was worth approximately $70 million with rolling guarantees, starting at approximately $20 million the first year. One can easily argue that he lost money with his holdout, but at minimal he protected his financial future by waiting for a more stable contract. 

He lost a whole year of revenue that he can never get back. You even said it. What's your argument?

Just now, League_Champion said:

He lost a whole year of revenue that he can never get back. You even said it. What's your argument?

I was making the point that he let that money go, to preserve his health and financial security. In other words, he let that money go, to make more money. 

1 minute ago, Shaft said:

I was making the point that he let that money go, to preserve his health and financial security. In other words, he let that money go, to make more money. 

I agree in that respect but he still lost money. That was my point.  You can't just make that back. You only have so many years to earn in the NFL and he will be cut before his current contract matures. That's the NFL.

Edited by League_Champion

7 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

conspiracy time... does anyone think that EE and Gordon have had private conversations and agreed to both hold out together?

YES, that's exactly what happened. Hey Zeke, why don't you and I both hold out and lose millions of dollars together, it will be so much fun. How's that working out for ya Melvin?

Edited by League_Champion