[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rumor: Ezekiel Elliott planning a training camp holdout

Wolverines Fan

18 minutes ago, DMD said:

Yeah, Gordon, Elliott... because Le'Veon Bell's holdout worked so well...

Ezekiel is far more important to Dallas' offense than Le'Veon was to Pittsburgh's offense.  Ezekiel might be more important to his team than any non-quarterback in the league.  Running backs have a limited lifespan.  It's not in Ezekiel's best interests to play before week 11 unless he gets a new contract.

Edited by michaelredd9

1 hour ago, michaelredd9 said:

Ezekiel is far more important to Dallas' offense than Le'Veon was to Pittsburgh's offense.  Ezekiel might be more important to his team than any non-quarterback in the league.  Running backs have a limited lifespan.  It's not in Ezekiel's best interests to play before week 11 unless he gets a new contract.

Oh I understand and agree. The reality is that the only back that recently got the monster contract was Todd Gurley and that doesn't look like as good of a value now as it did prior to last season. The next highest contracts went to Le'Veon Bell, Devonta Freeman, LeSean McCoy and David Johnson. I am no "capologist" and realize that numbers can say different things, but it appears to me that RBs realize how short their lifespans really are and want upfront money, and teams realize how short RB lifespans really are and do NOT want to waste upfront money. The apparent decline in Gurley has to make any NFL team think twice about doling out $50M+ contracts and more so the guaranteed money.

No argument about Elliott's value to the team. It just looks to me that this conflict between RBs and teams is getting worse and more contentious which makes far tougher to forecast what is going to happen to RBs when they holdout.

2019 RB contract Value Rankings

Jerry doesn't have a history of playing hardball in contract negotiations.  In fact, he might be the most player friendly negotiator in the NFL.  So maybe Jerry is planning on signing Ezekiel to a new contract but is just trying to minimize it.  The fairest solution would be to give him a contract with a high annual salary but with only the first two years guaranteed.

20 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

It's not in Ezekiel's best interests to play before week 11 unless he gets a new contract.

I was thinking that Ezekiel could hold out until after week 10 and still accrue a season but I was wrong.  I guess Players under contract can't do that.  Zeke really has no choice except to show up by August 6th with or without a new contract.

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player-news

Yahoo's Charles Robinson reports Ezekiel Elliott must report to camp by August 6 in order to receive an accrued season toward free agency.

Elliott is currently scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent after the 2020 season, but that would not be the case if he fails to gain at least one accrued season before then. Elliott could get the all-important fourth accrued season next year, but holding out deep into camp this time would prevent him from doing the same in his contract season. Robinson believes Elliott will ultimately decide against holding out.

SOURCE: Yahoo Sports
Jul 16, 2019, 9:20 AM ET
Edited by michaelredd9

15 hours ago, League_Champion said:

I think you'll be fine. Especially after how the Leveon situation played out. 

Agreed, but these players are different from Le'veon in reference to baggage (i.e. usage. injury history, and age). If they were going to hold, now is the right time.

12 hours ago, Shaft said:

Agreed, but these players are different from Le'veon in reference to baggage (i.e. usage. injury history, and age). If they were going to hold, now is the right time.

No doubt and you may ultimately be right. I just think with Dak's contract lingering he'd be a fool (which he is) to hold out now. To resign him & Dak at the same time would blow that cap up. Someone has to be the odd man out. I think it would be him. 

We'll see how this goes but the players' union doesn't seem to be very strong. These guys both bust out on their "holdouts" and the RB market tanking will march right along. Only advantage Zeke has is that Jerrah is a contract moron.

The best test case to me would actually be McCaffrey in Carolina - how the hell would they replace that guy? I think Gordon is pretty replaceable, Zeke less so, and CMC not at all for the Panthers.

4 hours ago, stethant said:

We'll see how this goes but the players' union doesn't seem to be very strong. These guys both bust out on their "holdouts" and the RB market tanking will march right along. Only advantage Zeke has is that Jerrah is a contract moron.

The best test case to me would actually be McCaffrey in Carolina - how the hell would they replace that guy? I think Gordon is pretty replaceable, Zeke less so, and CMC not at all for the Panthers.

Best replacement for them all? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Billions?  That cures all. 

8 hours ago, stethant said:

I thought the McCaffrey thing was interesting last year.  They kept giving the ball over and over to McCaffrey but still couldn't score.  And left a still useful RB virtually unused in CJ Anderson.  I am not a fan of Norv Turner from his totally unimaginitive play calling in MN and it seemed to continue in Carolina.  

My question is how useful is McCaffrey really.  Sure he'll get you 5 yards but they couldn't score so how much was he really helping?  I understand it was an undertalented Carolina team and Newton with a banged up arm but still...

Also keep in mind their last game against the Saints was essentially a cakewalk and the Saints weren't even trying. 

Edited by purplemonster

It think hell be there for TC late but he comes in after Dak and Jerry have a talk. Jerry will get him in and may not need the extra training camp work. However, he will need some time to get up to speed with KM's offense.

1 hour ago, Cowboyz1 said:

It think hell be there for TC late but he comes in after Dak and Jerry have a talk. Jerry will get him in and may not need the extra training camp work. However, he will need some time to get up to speed with KM's offense.

I agree. But they better sign Dak first. They need to get that done. 

This should pss Jerrah off.

Amid his holdout from Cowboys training camp, Ezekiel Elliott is flying south to stay in shape.

The Cowboys running back is heading to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico to train this week while Dallas is at training camp in Oxnard, California, sources told NFL Network's Jane Slater on Monday. Elliott's team and the Cowboys will continue to work on negotiating a contract extension while he is out of the country.

On 7/29/2019 at 9:12 PM, LordOpie said:

PHI should roll to the playoffs for no reason other than the dysfunction of the other three teams.

Was scrolling through the depth charts yesterday while bored, Eagles are pretty well rounded team, if Wentz can stay on the field, they'd be my pick to come out of the NFC. 

• Thanks 1

Dak has no business being paid like a top 5 QB, Cooper is good, not elite and Zeke will probably be underpaid when it's said and done.

NFL Network's Jane Slater reported Tuesday that the Dallas Cowboys have "generous" offers on the table for Dak Prescott, Amari Cooper and Ezekiel Elliott, that would put each one in the top five at their positions, per a source.