[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rumor: Ezekiel Elliott planning a training camp holdout

Wolverines Fan

17 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

They gotta pay Zeke though, don't they? I know he wants Gurley money but I don't think Jerrah wants to go there. I can't justify giving Dak top 5 money, sorry but he's not there yet. 

My point is that if he will take a reasonable offer, that's fine.  Gurley didn't deserve Gurley money.  If Zeke's going to hose the season by holding out, then now is the time to trade him while he's still getting rookie money. 

2 hours ago, CowboysDiehard said:

Could be time to cut bait on this one.  He nearly got suspended again this summer.  Work up a Herschel/Ricky type deal for next year's draft.  If he holds out this year, there is no season anyway.

+1. How do you apply leverage when you're a perennial knucklehead and have 2 years left? Only Jerrah could fall for this. The analytics are behind Zeke not being worth it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CowboysDiehard said:

My point is that if he will take a reasonable offer, that's fine.  Gurley didn't deserve Gurley money.  If Zeke's going to hose the season by holding out, then now is the time to trade him while he's still getting rookie money. 

I totally agree with you. That Gurley deal was a disaster from the start. And Zeke doesn't have any leverage. He's on the books for 2 more years. But Dallas needs him bad. That's an 8-8 team at best with no Zeke. 

55 minutes ago, stethant said:

+1. How do you apply leverage when you're a perennial knucklehead and have 2 years left? Only Jerrah could fall for this. The analytics are behind Zeke not being worth it.

My opinion as well.  I'd let him sit the year (or 10 games if that still applies here) and hardball him to report by camp start next year as a prove it year.  If he hits, I'd then hit him with the low cost RB franchise tag or RFA (if he didn't report on time 2020) and let him negotiate with others at a position of weakness.  Already looking at average shelf life of a RB being up after all this, so could franchise tag once more or let him walk if declining come 2022.

Know I sound like a broken record, but I would of advised getting the necessaries done this year (like accruing that 4th season) so Zeke could apply more pressure the following year and only at worse be a year removed from a full load in 2021 with other teams more willing to negotiate for rights since Cowboys weaker with expiring rookie contract.  With how he's gone, it's much easier for an owner to do the above cause if Zeke sits 2 years...well he may as well just retire.  Players doing much of anything after 2 years removed has got to be pretty rare. 

Should also state that if he sits it would be a great time to retool the franchise by getting rid of the clapper and other staff/management.  Course it's also Jerry we're talking about so those coming in wouldn't be any better.  Sorry Dallas. 

• Sad 1

I'm glad I dont have EE anywhere.  For F's sake, the owner (JJ) is actually negotiating with you, while your under contract and your not showing up.  D*** move, shows the world your true character.   Show up, be a part.of the team, and have your agents work the deal while your working for the best interests of the team.  I'd let him sit on principle now.  

• Like 1

Kind of a delimma here too.  I have the 3rd pick overall and was leaning towards Elliot over Kamara (assuming McCaffrey and Barkley are the first two picks).   IMO, I just think Elliot doesn't have to really share the snaps the way Kamara did with Ingram last year and now Murray.   Crazy thing is I really want to draft David Johnson #3 overall but if it doesn't work out, I will hate myself for passing up the other 2.   Elliot just feels like a safer pick with a high value draft position.  That is if he gets over this current holdout.  My league draft is August 17th.  Not much time to mess around.. 

I thought he had to return by August 6th? 

2 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Nice article.  I didn't understand the details so I am going to delete my comments before.  Jerrah should hold tough here honestly.  Zeke doesn't have leverage.  If he reworks the deal Zeke should consider himself fortunate.  Zeke knows Jerrah wants a winner though and tends to give in so I presume he'll see how far he can push him 

On 8/6/2019 at 10:05 AM, League_Champion said:

Dak has no business being paid like a top 5 QB, Cooper is good, not elite and Zeke will probably be underpaid when it's said and done.

NFL Network's Jane Slater reported Tuesday that the Dallas Cowboys have "generous" offers on the table for Dak Prescott, Amari Cooper and Ezekiel Elliott, that would put each one in the top five at their positions, per a source.

The generous offer to Dak is 30M per year and Dak mis seeking 40M per year.

I don't get it. I see a very average QB when I watch Dakota. Am I crazy? 30+ million a year????

"For those not aware, $40 million per year would make Prescott the NFL’S HIGHEST PAID QUARTERBACK IN TERMS OF ANNUAL VALUE. Russell Wilsoncurrently ranks No. 1 overall at $35 million per year. Eaglesquarterback Carson Wentz is fourth at $32 million per value

Slater followed up her report by noting that Prescott’s annual value will likely come in closer around $34 to $35 million instead of that $40 million figure."

Edited by League_Champion

58 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

Elite quarterbacks have always been severely underpaid.  Tom Brady or Patrick Mahomes are worth more than $50 million a year.  So Dak is probably worth the $30 million that he will receive.

I think we can agree Dak is clearly not elite. Dak is worth whatever he can get out of the market but those are two different things.

If Dallas had any nuts they'd draft another QB and thank Dak for his service BEFORE they have to pay with a big contract. Sooner or later, some NFL team is going to try this - like the Bears with Trubisky maybe if he doesn't catch fire.

25 minutes ago, stethant said:

I think we can agree Dak is clearly not elite. Dak is worth whatever he can get out of the market but those are two different things.

I'm not saying Dak is elite.  But people use the argument that elite quarterbacks get paid $30-$35 million therefore Dak should get paid way less.  But elite quarterbacks are worth way more than $35 million so Dak can still be worth $30 million while not being close to elite.  Complete chump quarterbacks can make $18 million.  Dak is halfway between elite and a chump in terms of talent.

Edited by michaelredd9

1 hour ago, michaelredd9 said:

Elite quarterbacks have always been severely underpaid.  Tom Brady or Patrick Mahomes are worth more than $50 million a year.  So Dak is probably worth the $30 million that he will receive.

It's scary to think what Patrick Mahomes will get when payday comes around. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

1 hour ago, Shaft said:

It's scary to think what Patrick Mahomes will get when payday comes around. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The Chiefs are probably trying to figure out now how to run an NFL team with only $50 left over for all other players in 2023.