[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rumor: Ezekiel Elliott planning a training camp holdout

Wolverines Fan

14 hours ago, League_Champion said:

I don't get it. I see a very average QB when I watch Dakota. Am I crazy? 30+ million a year????

"For those not aware, $40 million per year would make Prescott the NFL’S HIGHEST PAID QUARTERBACK IN TERMS OF ANNUAL VALUE. Russell Wilsoncurrently ranks No. 1 overall at $35 million per year. Eaglesquarterback Carson Wentz is fourth at $32 million per value

Slater followed up her report by noting that Prescott’s annual value will likely come in closer around $34 to $35 million instead of that $40 million figure."

13 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

Elite quarterbacks have always been severely underpaid.  Tom Brady or Patrick Mahomes are worth more than $50 million a year.  So Dak is probably worth the $30 million that he will receive.

12 hours ago, stethant said:

I think we can agree Dak is clearly not elite. Dak is worth whatever he can get out of the market but those are two different things.

If Dallas had any nuts they'd draft another QB and thank Dak for his service BEFORE they have to pay with a big contract. Sooner or later, some NFL team is going to try this - like the Bears with Trubisky maybe if he doesn't catch fire.

Jimmy Garoppolo is getting $28 million year and has proven NOTHING!!!!  You have to take the market into account. I'm not a Dak fan, but the market says he's worth the money. 

anything over 15 million a year is overpaying for Dak and even that is generous. A large contract to Dak will further insure we wallow in mediocrity forever . I love his character , but he is an average at best QB that should in no way shape or form be getting paid amongst the elite qbs

• Like 2

1 hour ago, whomper said:

anything over 15 million a year is overpaying for Dak and even that is generous. A large contract to Dak will further insure we wallow in mediocrity forever . I love his character , but he is an average at best QB that should in no way shape or form be getting paid amongst the elite qbs

Perfectly stated. I feel the same 

1 hour ago, whomper said:

Based on what?

Annually

Carr- $25 million 

Stafford- $27 million

Foles- $22 million (clutch, but inconsistent)

Garoppolo - $27.5 million

Cousins-$28 million

I don't understand how paying anything over $15 million for Dak is overpaying. 

7 minutes ago, Shaft said:

Based on what?

Annually

Carr- $25 million 

Stafford- $27 million

Cousins-$28 million

Besides Nicky TD's who on that list has won anything?

4 minutes ago, Shaft said:

Based on what?

Annually

Carr- $25 million 

Stafford- $27 million

Cousins-$28 million

I've been reading and watching articles and videos from commentators about Dak.

IMO I'm thinking it has to do with upside.  It was only last year that Dak had Cooper for 2nd half of season and started to show what is to come for the future.

The QB list above each had had their moments in a season(s) to display it.  Dak is just not a excitement kinda of player (yet).  If Dak, Cooper, Zeke get on the field for a full season and now Witten (reliable safety outlet), he will get that chance to wow everyone.  Currently everyone is stuck on Dallas goes as Zeke goes, but great play has to come from everyone.

With said offense weapons, returning center, very solid defense DAL has everything ready to excel past what they did last year.

I did not see any articles yet that showed what the guaranteed money was on the deal.  I'm not sure why he turned it down.

17 hours ago, stethant said:

I think we can agree Dak is clearly not elite. Dak is worth whatever he can get out of the market but those are two different things.

If Dallas had any nuts they'd draft another QB and thank Dak for his service BEFORE they have to pay with a big contract. Sooner or later, some NFL team is going to try this - like the Bears with Trubisky maybe if he doesn't catch fire.

i think bill barnwell wrote an article last year about this...and speculated it could be the rams and goff

eventually though there will be a shift...as much as most people acknowledge the qb position to be the most important....i think youll see the owners fight back a bit..like they did in MLB.....youre seeing MLB free agents have to wait and wait...and teams reluctant to often give up the draft pick it would cost....

i think at some point youre going to see a team try what you suggested....maybe even a couple of teams...its great to have a good qb and feel comfortable there...but at what cost? giving yourself a short window to keep good talent around them......a guy making 35 as opposed to 23 is keeping another elite player off his roster.....

youll probably see someone try it....but then youll have a situation like russ wilson where the rumors will fly that some qb starved team(think the giants rumors last year) is deseprate enough to trade for him and pay him...

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

But why does he deserve more than anyone else? That's the question. I understand the market but he's not in that conversation.

Oh I agree, but every new contract is more than the last. IMHO, they've all underachieved. 

5 hours ago, whomper said:

Also agree, as I said before he reminds me of Cousins who looks the part most of the time but not really worth it.  A truly awesome QB who gets better in crunch time like Brady, their value is so high you probably can't afford their true value.  

Interesting:

Yahoo Sports NFL columnist Charles Robinson penned a unique breakdown on how the Eagles were aware of Dak Prescott’s impending deal, and wanted to get in front of things before the Cowboys reset the quarterback market with some astronomical deal.

Right after the 2018 season ended, both the Eagles and Cowboys began the process of working on contract extensions for their franchise quarterbacks. With the Eagles and Howie Roseman aware that Prescott might start his negotiations at $40 million per season, Philly’s brass began the process of getting Wentz’s deal done two years earlier than needed, to avoid having crushing negotiations that could have set the organization back.

38 minutes ago, Shaft said:

After looking at this, he easily worth more than $15 million:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/quarterback/

He's definitely worth more than $15 million. He's worth whatever they are willing to pay him. In my opinion he's a 22 million dollarish  QB. Not 25, not 30 and certainly not 40. 

4 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

He's definitely worth more than $15 million. He's worth whatever they are willing to pay him. In my opinion he's a 22 million dollarish  QB. Not 25, not 30 and certainly not 40. 

I think realistically, based on the Wentz deal, he's gonna get in the neighborhood of $30million/yr and again - that's just the reality of the QB position in the NFL. 

I do think that Jerry Jones adds a wrinkle in that he is unlikely to have much cap management smarts and he could really hamstring the franchise trying to take care of his guys. He needs an empowered GM to protect him from himself but that's not how the Cowboys are set up. Jones is a WAY better owner than Chainsaw Dan Snyder but both organizations suffer on the football side because the owners are too involved in football decisions. 

By rational standards he should make less than Wentz but ego and pride are not rational things. The other tricky business is the Zeke angle.

10 minutes ago, stethant said:

I think realistically, based on the Wentz deal, he's gonna get in the neighborhood of $30million/yr and again - that's just the reality of the QB position in the NFL. 

I do think that Jerry Jones adds a wrinkle in that he is unlikely to have much cap management smarts and he could really hamstring the franchise trying to take care of his guys. He needs an empowered GM to protect him from himself but that's not how the Cowboys are set up. Jones is a WAY better owner than Chainsaw Dan Snyder but both organizations suffer on the football side because the owners are too involved in football decisions. 

By rational standards he should make less than Wentz but ego and pride are not rational things. The other tricky business is the Zeke angle.

I totally agree. The market will dictate Wentz money even if he's not worthy. The Cowboys have some decisions to make with Dak, Elliott and Cooper. All want top 5 money. 

17 hours ago, Shaft said:

Based on what?

Annually

Carr- $25 million 

Stafford- $27 million

Cousins-$28 million

Based on the fact that he cant throw :shrug: 

On 8/13/2019 at 8:21 PM, Shaft said:

After looking at this, he easily worth more than $15 million:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/quarterback/

I'd say the top 4 on that list are worth their pay, the next 4 not so much, Stafford probably best value there. Brees and Brady are underpaid, and Carr, Smith and Flacco are overpaid. Luck is overpaid if he continues missing a lot of time. 

Agree Dak is more in the 18-25 value range, not 30+  But I also know new contracts are always more than old ones, and very few of these ever really run their course so the reported annual salaries are often meaningless (and change in 2-3 years with another extension).

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

I'd say the top 4 on that list are worth their pay, the next 4 not so much, Stafford probably best value there. Brees and Brady are underpaid, and Carr, Smith and Flacco are overpaid. Luck is overpaid if he continues missing a lot of time. 

Agree Dak is more in the 18-25 value range, not 30+  But I also know new contracts are always more than old ones, and very few of these ever really run their course so the reported annual salaries are often meaningless (and change in 2-3 years with another extension).

He's gonna get 25+ regardless. What choice does Jerrah have?