Wolverines Fan

Rumor: Ezekiel Elliott planning a training camp holdout

Recommended Posts

Yeah, Gordon, Elliott... because Le'Veon Bell's holdout worked so well...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, DMD said:

Yeah, Gordon, Elliott... because Le'Veon Bell's holdout worked so well...

 

Ezekiel is far more important to Dallas' offense than Le'Veon was to Pittsburgh's offense.  Ezekiel might be more important to his team than any non-quarterback in the league.  Running backs have a limited lifespan.  It's not in Ezekiel's best interests to play before week 11 unless he gets a new contract.

 

Edited by michaelredd9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, michaelredd9 said:

 

Ezekiel is far more important to Dallas' offense than Le'Veon was to Pittsburgh's offense.  Ezekiel might be more important to his team than any non-quarterback in the league.  Running backs have a limited lifespan.  It's not in Ezekiel's best interests to play before week 11 unless he gets a new contract.

 

 

Oh I understand and agree. The reality is that the only back that recently got the monster contract was Todd Gurley and that doesn't look like as good of a value now as it did prior to last season. The next highest contracts went to Le'Veon Bell, Devonta Freeman, LeSean McCoy and David Johnson. I am no "capologist" and realize that numbers can say different things, but it appears to me that RBs realize how short their lifespans really are and want upfront money, and teams realize how short RB lifespans really are and do NOT want to waste upfront money. The apparent decline in Gurley has to make any NFL team think twice about doling out $50M+ contracts and more so the guaranteed money.

 

No argument about Elliott's value to the team. It just looks to me that this conflict between RBs and teams is getting worse and more contentious which makes far tougher to forecast what is going to happen to RBs when they holdout.

 

2019 RB contract Value Rankings

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jerry doesn't have a history of playing hardball in contract negotiations.  In fact, he might be the most player friendly negotiator in the NFL.  So maybe Jerry is planning on signing Ezekiel to a new contract but is just trying to minimize it.  The fairest solution would be to give him a contract with a high annual salary but with only the first two years guaranteed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He has no real leverage this year.  Would be more concerned if this isn't handled by next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

 

It's not in Ezekiel's best interests to play before week 11 unless he gets a new contract.

 

 

I was thinking that Ezekiel could hold out until after week 10 and still accrue a season but I was wrong.  I guess Players under contract can't do that.  Zeke really has no choice except to show up by August 6th with or without a new contract.

 

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player-news

Yahoo's Charles Robinson reports Ezekiel Elliott must report to camp by August 6 in order to receive an accrued season toward free agency.

Elliott is currently scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent after the 2020 season, but that would not be the case if he fails to gain at least one accrued season before then. Elliott could get the all-important fourth accrued season next year, but holding out deep into camp this time would prevent him from doing the same in his contract season. Robinson believes Elliott will ultimately decide against holding out.

SOURCE: Yahoo Sports
Jul 16, 2019, 9:20 AM ET
Edited by michaelredd9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And of COURSE I have Zeke and Gordon on one of my dynasty teams.  

 

I have a feeling both of these situations will be resolved soon though.  Maybe just wishful thinking......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, darin3 said:

And of COURSE I have Zeke and Gordon on one of my dynasty teams.  

 

I have a feeling both of these situations will be resolved soon though.  Maybe just wishful thinking......

 

I think you'll be fine. Especially after how the Leveon situation played out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, League_Champion said:

 

I think you'll be fine. Especially after how the Leveon situation played out. 

Agreed, but these players are different from Le'veon in reference to baggage (i.e. usage. injury history, and age). If they were going to hold, now is the right time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Shaft said:

Agreed, but these players are different from Le'veon in reference to baggage (i.e. usage. injury history, and age). If they were going to hold, now is the right time.

 

No doubt and you may ultimately be right. I just think with Dak's contract lingering he'd be a fool (which he is) to hold out now. To resign him & Dak at the same time would blow that cap up. Someone has to be the odd man out. I think it would be him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We'll see how this goes but the players' union doesn't seem to be very strong. These guys both bust out on their "holdouts" and the RB market tanking will march right along. Only advantage Zeke has is that Jerrah is a contract moron.

 

The best test case to me would actually be McCaffrey in Carolina - how the hell would they replace that guy? I think Gordon is pretty replaceable, Zeke less so, and CMC not at all for the Panthers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, stethant said:

We'll see how this goes but the players' union doesn't seem to be very strong. These guys both bust out on their "holdouts" and the RB market tanking will march right along. Only advantage Zeke has is that Jerrah is a contract moron.

 

The best test case to me would actually be McCaffrey in Carolina - how the hell would they replace that guy? I think Gordon is pretty replaceable, Zeke less so, and CMC not at all for the Panthers.

Best replacement for them all? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Billions?  That cures all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, stethant said:

We'll see how this goes but the players' union doesn't seem to be very strong. These guys both bust out on their "holdouts" and the RB market tanking will march right along. Only advantage Zeke has is that Jerrah is a contract moron.

 

The best test case to me would actually be McCaffrey in Carolina - how the hell would they replace that guy? I think Gordon is pretty replaceable, Zeke less so, and CMC not at all for the Panthers.

I thought the McCaffrey thing was interesting last year.  They kept giving the ball over and over to McCaffrey but still couldn't score.  And left a still useful RB virtually unused in CJ Anderson.  I am not a fan of Norv Turner from his totally unimaginitive play calling in MN and it seemed to continue in Carolina.  

 

My question is how useful is McCaffrey really.  Sure he'll get you 5 yards but they couldn't score so how much was he really helping?  I understand it was an undertalented Carolina team and Newton with a banged up arm but still...

 

Also keep in mind their last game against the Saints was essentially a cakewalk and the Saints weren't even trying. 

Edited by purplemonster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It think hell be there for TC late but he comes in after Dak and Jerry have a talk. Jerry will get him in and may not need the extra training camp work. However, he will need some time to get up to speed with KM's offense.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cowboyz1 said:

It think hell be there for TC late but he comes in after Dak and Jerry have a talk. Jerry will get him in and may not need the extra training camp work. However, he will need some time to get up to speed with KM's offense.

 

 

I agree. But they better sign Dak first. They need to get that done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lol...

During an interview with CBS 11 Sports, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said "you don’t have to have a rushing champion to win a Super Bowl."

"The point there is, you don’t have to have a rushing champion to win a Super Bowl," Jones responded when asked about the comparisons between Ezekiel Elliott and Emmitt Smith; 'the point there is' being how Smith was the franchise's first back to win both the season rushing title and a Super Bowl in '93. "That’s one of the dilemmas at running back is that the league knows that you can win Super Bowls and not have the Emmitt Smith back there or not have Zeke back there." The full interview can be viewed in the link below. As it stands, Elliott remains in Mexico awaiting word from his side that a deal has ultimately been worked out (though Jones' comments make it sound as if the team is willing to stand their ground for the time being). Dallas can fine Elliott for every day he's absent from camp.

Source: CBS Sports 11
Jul 29, 2019, 5:48 PM ET

 

... Jerry, if you feel that the RB position isn't critically important, then why did you spend a #4 overall pick on EE?

PHI should roll to the playoffs for no reason other than the dysfunction of the other three teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be psssd if I was Dak. He's going make peanuts this year and showed up to camp like a leader. He's getting the screw job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This should pss Jerrah off.

 

Amid his holdout from Cowboys training camp, Ezekiel Elliott is flying south to stay in shape.

The Cowboys running back is heading to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico to train this week while Dallas is at training camp in Oxnard, California, sources told NFL Network's Jane Slater on Monday. Elliott's team and the Cowboys will continue to work on negotiating a contract extension while he is out of the country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2019 at 9:12 PM, LordOpie said:

PHI should roll to the playoffs for no reason other than the dysfunction of the other three teams.

 

Was scrolling through the depth charts yesterday while bored, Eagles are pretty well rounded team, if Wentz can stay on the field, they'd be my pick to come out of the NFC. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gourdeau said:

 

Was scrolling through the depth charts yesterday while bored, Eagles are pretty well rounded team, if Wentz can stay on the field, they'd be my pick to come out of the NFC. 

I was kind of joking. Phi does have a good team regardless

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.