[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lions release Theo Riddick

Wolverines Fan

It certainly opens that up. Johnson already averaged 5.4 YPC  and averaged 3.2 catches per game with Riddick there catching 61 passes. If Johnson can stay healthy, he could be top ten. I have to think that CJ Anderson also gets more of a role than just relief or change of pace. Whenever I have drafted KJ - and I have several times - I almost always get Anderson.

9 minutes ago, Shaft said:

Riddick will find another home. This could be a breakout season for Kerryon. Hmmmm...I might draft him and name my team Carry-ons.

Or better yet, the Wayward Sons...

Riddick to the Broncos. :blink:

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/teams/den/denver-broncos

Lindsay's targets in the passing game will take a hit. :(

Edited by Wolverines Fan

This sucks for Lindsay.  They were saying he was going to be much more involved in the passing game this year.  And Flacco loves throwing to his running backs.  In 2015, his running backs totaled 127 receptions.  In 2016, his running backs totaled 118 receptions.  Hopefully, Riddick only plays 3rd downs.  Running backs get far more receptions on 1st and 2nd down so maybe Lindsay can still get 60-80 receptions.

I think we need to take a long hard look at Riddick and come to the inevitable conclusion: he's not very good and really inefficient. The fact that Denver wants him makes zero sense. I don't wish ill on anyone but there's a chance he gets cut again.

Do we really want another 3-headed RBBC in Denver? Man what is wrong with that franchise?

12 minutes ago, stethant said:

I think we need to take a long hard look at Riddick and come to the inevitable conclusion: he's not very good and really inefficient. The fact that Denver wants him makes zero sense. I don't wish ill on anyone but there's a chance he gets cut again.

Do we really want another 3-headed RBBC in Denver? Man what is wrong with that franchise?

Agree. I don't think he's an upgrade over Booker, and I'm assuming Denver cuts Booker.

Theo Riddick isn't a good rusher but he is a great receiver and great pass blocker.  Lindsay struggled at both receiving and pass blocking last year.  Those are skills that are critical to Flacco.  Flacco is totally immobile and injury-prone.  He needs pass protection more than any quarterback in the league.  Also, Flacco loves to throw to his running backs and neither Lindsay nor Freeman were good receivers last year.  Freeman was an atrocious receiver.  They are probably hoping that Lindsay improves at pass blocking and receiving.  But if he doesn't, having Riddick is a nice insurance policy.  The Riddick signing is frustrating from a fantasy perspective but makes a lot of sense in real football.  And running backs get few stats on 3rd downs so this could be a non-issue for Lindsay's fantasy output as long as he gets the lion's share of early down snaps.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

Theo Riddick isn't a good rusher but he is a great receiver and great pass blocker.  Lindsay struggled at both receiving and pass blocking last year.  Those are skills that are critical to Flacco.  Flacco is totally immobile and injury-prone.  He needs pass protection more than any quarterback in the league.  Also, Flacco loves to throw to his running backs and neither Lindsay nor Freeman were good receivers last year.  Freeman was an atrocious receiver.  They are probably hoping that Lindsay improves at pass blocking and receiving.  But if he doesn't, having Riddick is a nice insurance policy.  The Riddick signing is frustrating from a fantasy perspective but makes a lot of sense in real football.  And running backs get few stats on 3rd downs so this could be a non-issue for Lindsay's fantasy output as long as he gets the lion's share of early down snaps.

Riddick is great at catching the ball and then doing nothing with it - it makes no sense in real football. He has a wildly negative production premium and ranked outside the top 150 in fantasy points per opportunity.

When he is on the field the defense knows he's only there to catch a pass - zero rushing potential. Both Lindsay and Freeman can receive and rush so there's no telegraphing of the play when they're in the game.

1 hour ago, stethant said:

Both Lindsay and Freeman can receive and rush so there's no telegraphing of the play when they're in the game.

Freeman had a PFF receiving grade of 43.5 which was the 4th lowest receiving grade for a running back.  Lindsay had a receiving grade of 63.1.  Riddick had a run grade of 71.5 last year.  Riddick isn't a good rusher but he is a better rusher than Lindsay or Freeman is a receiver.  And it's a passing league.  The Broncos need Flacco to succeed and stay healthy.  Flacco's success and health are far more important than having a running back with a better ypc.  While Riddick isn't a good enough rusher to become the starter, he is good enough to get 40% of the snaps like he did in Detroit.  In an ideal world, Lindsay will improve at pass protection and receiving which could make Riddick obsolete.  But there is no way to predict if that will happen.

Edited by michaelredd9

19 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

Great analysis, far too often people here let their thoughts on fantasy cloud the picture. They don't want a RBBC so they try to rationalize how the guy isn't a good fit. 

40 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Great analysis, far too often people here let their thoughts on fantasy cloud the picture. They don't want a RBBC so they try to rationalize how the guy isn't a good fit. 

Agree. I'm not a Theo fan due to his limitations but he serves a purpose in Denver, he should fit in nicely. And I'm sure they got him pretty cheap as well. It's a low risk pick up for them.