[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Duke Johnson FAB Conundrum (Dynasty Empire League)

jlockhart89

Sorry for the long winded thread title.

Looking for some advice on Duke Johnson in a PPR Dynasty Empire League.

Here's my conundrum, I'm reigning champion in this empire league, if I win back-to-back I take the entire empire pot and we start from scratch next year. So naturally no one wants to trade with me to improve my somewhat thin RB depth (McCaffrey, Howard, Lewis, Ito, and some low upside handcuffs), however the rest of my roster is stacked enough that there's a chance. We keep 24 players, and draft an additional 3 rookies. So as you can imagine, the waiver pool is extremely thin throughout the year. Someone dropped Duke Johnson to waivers prior to the Texans trade, and FAB Waivers go through tomorrow.

How aggressive do I go with Duke, knowing that he could potentially be my RB2 or RB3 if he hits his upside? We have a budget of $100, do I go super aggresive and bid $75? more? less?

1 hour ago, Montana is da Man said:

I like the thought process here.  Lets start here, please share your roster so we can see if there are any other holes in your backups where you might need to spend your FAAB later on.

I should've mentioned it is 12 teams as well. 

QB: 

- Cam Newton

- Mitch Trubisky

RB:

- Christian McCaffrey

- Dion Lewis

- Jordan Howard

- Ito Smith

- Doug Martin

- Elijah McGuire

- Rex Burkead

- Jordan Wilkins

WR:

- Julio Jones

- Odell Beckham

- Stefon Diggs

- Dante Pettis

- Emmanuel Sanders

- John Ross

- Robert Foster

- Maurice Harris

- Keelan Cole 

TE: 

- Evan Engram

- Hunter Henry

- Will Dissly

- Darren Waller

Defence: 

- Minnesota Vikings

Rookies: 

- AJ Brown

- JJ Arcega-Whiteside

I feel like Duke Johnson slides easily into that RB2/RB3 category, and the options on the waiver wire does not offer any other inspiring names. 

Interesting.  You know best what a typical bid is necessary to win given your league.  

I'd probably bid $55 to low 60s.  That leaves some left overs if you do get him.  I don't think I would want to spend $75, because I would be unlikely to win anyone else later in the season. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, zips5000 said:

Interesting.  You know best what a typical bid is necessary to win given your league.  

I'd probably bid $55 to low 60s.  That leaves some left overs if you do get him.  I don't think I would want to spend $75, because I would be unlikely to win anyone else later in the season. 

When someone becomes relevant the money does tend to fly in this league, for example towards the end of last season when injuries popped up for D. Williams and Conner, West and Ridley went for $20 and $45 respectively; despite not winding up with really any role whatsoever. 

The two biggest buys of the season were Phillip Lindsay for $93 after his week 1 breakout, and Damian Williams for $66 after Hunt's release. I do think that most relevant handcuffs are owned already (Alfred Blue, Dontrell Hilliard, and Artis-Payne would be examples of guys left available behind Duke), so I feel Duke's guaranteed role may be worth splurging on early? 

5 minutes ago, jlockhart89 said:

When someone becomes relevant the money does tend to fly in this league, for example towards the end of last season when injuries popped up for D. Williams and Conner, West and Ridley went for $20 and $45 respectively; despite not winding up with really any role whatsoever. 

The two biggest buys of the season were Phillip Lindsay for $93 after his week 1 breakout, and Damian Williams for $66 after Hunt's release. I do think that most relevant handcuffs are owned already (Alfred Blue, Dontrell Hilliard, and Artis-Payne would be examples of guys left available behind Duke), so I feel Duke's guaranteed role may be worth splurging on early? 

I agree with @zips5000, I wouldn't want to spend the $75.  I would max out at $65 just in case you need cash later.  But you are set at your other positions and you should be covered well in case of injury

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Montana is da Man said:

I agree with @zips5000, I wouldn't want to spend the $75.  I would max out at $65 just in case you need cash later.  But you are set at your other positions and you should be covered well in case of injury

Thanks you guys, I guess I'm looking at Waivers thinking none of these guys have relevance; but who predicted Damien Williams and Phillip Lindsay being relevant last season!

38 minutes ago, jlockhart89 said:

Thanks you guys, I guess I'm looking at Waivers thinking none of these guys have relevance; but who predicted Damien Williams and Phillip Lindsay being relevant last season!

Well, I guess that's my point.  Unknowns will come up through the season and if you blow your load completely at the beginning you don't stand a chance.  +/-$40ish will give you some ammo to make a move for 1 other person should it arrive.

Other comment I would make is to bid $2 above what you are willing to take.  I'm guessing you know this, but if you are are going to bid $50, make it $52 to outbid the guy who goes $1 over.

Edited by zips5000
  • Like 1