[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Carolina Wide outs

I’m really liking Carolinas WRs this year. Curtis Samuel can easily break out & lead the team in targets & both Dj & Samuel are placed lower in the draft. Grab your pillows! 

CmC will open things up for those guys as well. I am very intrigued. What is the general consensus among the forumers?

Edited by TrevorThinksHeKnowsFantasy

I like Samuel especially where he's ranked around most places....he has that Percy harvin appeal/ability....bubble screens, jet sweeps plus just being a receiver...

I like both guys really...I just don't trust cam at the helm...injured or healthy ....

Moore is a little more pricey which would scare me ....but both guys are talented and that dog funchess is out of the way 

2 hours ago, Papajohn said:

I am all in on DJ Moore but very critical of Curtis Samuel.

why so critical of samuel?

yeah hes small but explosive...like i said..can run jetsweeps and other stuff...the guy scored 7 times last year on 47 touches....hes super explosive

yeah the catch rate wasnt great....but you have to take into consideration who was throwing him the ball and even when cam was at his best he wasnt the most accurate.....thats why they were bringing in guys like funchess and benjamin....funchess was a dog though and hes gone....samuel is a difference maker imo

31 minutes ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

why so critical of samuel?

yeah hes small but explosive...like i said..can run jetsweeps and other stuff...the guy scored 7 times last year on 47 touches....hes super explosive

yeah the catch rate wasnt great....but you have to take into consideration who was throwing him the ball and even when cam was at his best he wasnt the most accurate.....thats why they were bringing in guys like funchess and benjamin....funchess was a dog though and hes gone....samuel is a difference maker imo

That analysis is pretty much the exact same that Cordarrelle Patterson and Tavon Austin received.  Gadget players sometimes will get a bunch of touchdowns on minimal touches, then the next year they are talked up big time and said to be developing into a real wide receiver, and then they almost never deliver.  Maybe Samuel will be more similar to Percy Harvin than the countless gadget players who never did much as a receiver but I'm going to have to see it to believe it.  Athleticism alone isn't enough to be a legitimate wide receiver.  It'll also be difficult for DJ Moore, Curtis Samuel, the tight ends, and CMC to all reach their projections.  My guess is that either Moore or Samuel will be a wr2, but not both.

Edited by michaelredd9

9 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

That analysis is pretty much the exact same that Cordarrelle Patterson and Tavon Austin received.  Gadget players sometimes will get a bunch of touchdowns on minimal touches, then the next year they are talked up big time and said to be developing into a real wide receiver, and then they almost never deliver.  Maybe Samuel will be more similar to Percy Harvin than the countless gadget players who never did much as a receiver but I'm going to have to see it to believe it.  Athleticism alone isn't enough to be a legitimate wide receiver.  It'll also be difficult for DJ Moore, Curtis Samuel, the tight ends, and CMC to all reach their projections.  My guess is that either Moore or Samuel will be a wr2, but not both.

were talking about a guy though who has an ADP somewhere around the 100s...its not a big risk.....hes bigger than austin and less stiff and upright than patterson....think of some of the teams austin was on too...lol...and patterson has never been a true "starter" for most of his career.....

7 hours ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

were talking about a guy though who has an ADP somewhere around the 100s...its not a big risk.....hes bigger than austin and less stiff and upright than patterson....think of some of the teams austin was on too...lol...and patterson has never been a true "starter" for most of his career.....

In early MFL drafts, Samuel had a 9th round adp.  His adp has been going up.  In MFL drafts since August 1st, his adp is 84 which is the 7th/8th round corner.  And he is intriguing.  He had 39 receptions with a lot of touchdowns while only playing 44% of snaps last year.  And his targets weren't just short distance throws.  He averaged more air yards than DJ Moore.  If he truly is developing into a legit receiver, the sky is the limit.  

People thought Patterson was developing into a legit wide receiver, too.  He was a first round pick in the NFL draft.  He had 45 receptions and 9 total touchdowns in his rookie year while only playing 41% of offensive snaps.  In his second year, he had the 37th highest adp in MFL redraft leagues.  Here are some Rotoworld blurbs about Patterson entering his sophomore season (he ended up with 33 receptions while playing 55% of offensive snaps):

• Cordarrelle Patterson is expected to be the Vikings' starting split end "for years to come."

Patterson played behind Jerome Simpson for much of his rookie year, averaging just 28.0 snaps per game and finishing with a 45/469/4 line. But Simpson is an unrestricted free agent facing another NFL suspension and it's obvious to anyone with two functioning eyes that Patterson needs to be an every-down player. He has the natural ability to be a plus-sized Percy Harvin with the ball in his hands at 6'2/216. There won't be many better fantasy breakout candidates in 2014 than Patterson.

SOURCE: ESPN.com
    Jan 22, 2014, 9:58 AM ET

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune believes Cordarrelle Patterson is "in line for a monster season" in 2014.

Patterson spent most of his rookie season behind Jerome Simpson before going off for 375 total yards and six touchdowns over the final five games. He's expected to open 2014 as the Vikings' starting split end and will be a major breakout candidate under new OC Norv Turner. With Simpson unlikely to be re-signed and Greg Jennings limited to slot duties, Patterson is going to be the centerpiece of Minnesota's pass offense. Josh Gordon led the league in receiving yards last year under Turner despite having Jason Campbell, Brandon Weeden, and Brian Hoyer as his quarterbacks.

Feb 14, 2014, 6:12 PM ET

Greg Jennings said he's been told the Vikings are going to "showcase" Cordarrelle Patterson.

After sitting down with new coach Mike Zimmer and new offensive coordinator Norv Turner, Jennings "quickly got a sense of how prominently Patterson would be featured in the Vikings' offense." It's a stark change from last season, when Bill Musgrave inexplicably shackled Patterson's freakish natural ability. We're still worried about C-Patt's raw route running, but Turner is going to scheme the ball into his hands any way he can. Owners that like to bet on talent and let the chips fall should be salivating.

RELATED: 
    Jun 23, 2014, 8:14 AM ET

Both Matt Cassel and Vikings OC Norv Turner are praising Cordarrelle Patterson's route-running improvement.

Route limitations forced ex-OC Bill Musgrave to utilize Patterson as a gadget player on offense last year. Cassel cited Patterson's "route-running and his ability to recognize defense" as areas where he's made the most progress. "I think from Day 1 to now he's improved as a route runner," added Turner. "He's been very serious about working as a route runner." Patterson's breakout potential is unfortunately already built into his early fifth-round ADP. He'll be a boom-or-bust fantasy pick.

Jul 4, 2014, 1:31 PM ET

I know Samuel is drawing mixed reviews based on the site you're getting your content from, but I'm definitely targeting this guy later in drafts.  I've only done mocks to date, but I've been getting him in the 10th - 12th round in 12 team mocks. 

1 minute ago, Shorttynaz said:

I know Samuel is drawing mixed reviews based on the site you're getting your content from, but I'm definitely targeting this guy later in drafts.  I've only done mocks to date, but I've been getting him in the 10th - 12th round in 12 team mocks. 

That's about what I've seen in early drafts as well. He's definitely worth a late round flyer. 

1 hour ago, michaelredd9 said:

In early MFL drafts, Samuel had a 9th round adp.  His adp has been going up.  In MFL drafts since August 1st, his adp is 84 which is the 7th/8th round corner.  And he is intriguing.  He had 39 receptions with a lot of touchdowns while only playing 44% of snaps last year.  And his targets weren't just short distance throws.  He averaged more air yards than DJ Moore.  If he truly is developing into a legit receiver, the sky is the limit.  

People thought Patterson was developing into a legit wide receiver, too.  He was a first round pick in the NFL draft.  He had 45 receptions and 9 total touchdowns in his rookie year while only playing 41% of offensive snaps.  In his second year, he had the 37th highest adp in MFL redraft leagues.  Here are some Rotoworld blurbs about Patterson entering his sophomore season (he ended up with 33 receptions while playing 55% of offensive snaps):

• Cordarrelle Patterson is expected to be the Vikings' starting split end "for years to come."

Patterson played behind Jerome Simpson for much of his rookie year, averaging just 28.0 snaps per game and finishing with a 45/469/4 line. But Simpson is an unrestricted free agent facing another NFL suspension and it's obvious to anyone with two functioning eyes that Patterson needs to be an every-down player. He has the natural ability to be a plus-sized Percy Harvin with the ball in his hands at 6'2/216. There won't be many better fantasy breakout candidates in 2014 than Patterson.

Jan 22, 2014, 9:58 AM ET

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune believes Cordarrelle Patterson is "in line for a monster season" in 2014.

Patterson spent most of his rookie season behind Jerome Simpson before going off for 375 total yards and six touchdowns over the final five games. He's expected to open 2014 as the Vikings' starting split end and will be a major breakout candidate under new OC Norv Turner. With Simpson unlikely to be re-signed and Greg Jennings limited to slot duties, Patterson is going to be the centerpiece of Minnesota's pass offense. Josh Gordon led the league in receiving yards last year under Turner despite having Jason Campbell, Brandon Weeden, and Brian Hoyer as his quarterbacks.

Feb 14, 2014, 6:12 PM ET

Greg Jennings said he's been told the Vikings are going to "showcase" Cordarrelle Patterson.

After sitting down with new coach Mike Zimmer and new offensive coordinator Norv Turner, Jennings "quickly got a sense of how prominently Patterson would be featured in the Vikings' offense." It's a stark change from last season, when Bill Musgrave inexplicably shackled Patterson's freakish natural ability. We're still worried about C-Patt's raw route running, but Turner is going to scheme the ball into his hands any way he can. Owners that like to bet on talent and let the chips fall should be salivating.

RELATED: 
    Jun 23, 2014, 8:14 AM ET

Both Matt Cassel and Vikings OC Norv Turner are praising Cordarrelle Patterson's route-running improvement.

Route limitations forced ex-OC Bill Musgrave to utilize Patterson as a gadget player on offense last year. Cassel cited Patterson's "route-running and his ability to recognize defense" as areas where he's made the most progress. "I think from Day 1 to now he's improved as a route runner," added Turner. "He's been very serious about working as a route runner." Patterson's breakout potential is unfortunately already built into his early fifth-round ADP. He'll be a boom-or-bust fantasy pick.

Jul 4, 2014, 1:31 PM ET

ahhh....the ole famous june/july and feb/jan coach/player praise fantasy news blurbs.....i mean...why stop at patterson? theres a huge pattern of offensive players being talked up only to fail to meet expectations.....i mean why limit it to "gadget" receivers? lets talk about the last 10 years all of the 1st round bust receivers weve seen that got glowing camp reports more than once in their careers

patterson never started more than 8 games in a season while in minnesota...hes stiff, upright and good with straight line speed but doesnt offer much in the way of agility or lateral movement...samuel is built differently and moves differently...two totallly different athletes really

the point about there still being moore, olsen and cmac around to hold samuel back from truly breaking out is a decent one.....but they are nothing alike

samuel just turned 23 and this is his 3rd season....if you watch him instead of just looking at numbers hes more harvin than austin or patterson provided he stays healthy...hes going to be on the field alot more now too

and as you pointed out....samuels ADP is still about half that of what pattersons was while he was being hyped up 

Last season he posted a 74.6% success rate vs. man coverage, which falls at the 94th percentile in #ReceptionPerception history. He also converted 73.7% of his contested catch attempts.