[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DirecTV / NFL Sunday Ticket (2019)

Shorttynaz

23 hours ago, Rileyrott said:

Similar here, as they told me I had to pay this month's bill in full, and they would refund the NFL Sunday Ticket first payment on a Mastercard gift card! I said I want a refund check, as I pay them by check and expect the same in return. They said the only refund available was in the form of a gift card. What kind of BS is that?

I sure hope you get your refund. I'm tempted NOT to pay this month's bill (due 09/07/19) and see where it goes from there.

Is that even legal? You have to pay for something you don't want, why can't you pay your bill minus that amount, instead of having to get a refund later. Not to mention jerking you around with a MC gift card, guess that is better than a "store credit." And what if that gift card is stolen in the mail? (I had that happen with some I ordered using my Cash Back Bonus with Discover)?

I was amazed when returning a few items (small $) at Lowes and getting cash back after I had used a credit or gift card for the purchase. They said they protect against fraud by recording your info for the return. 

2 hours ago, cliaz said:

There was a time when Direct TV's Sunday Ticket was great. It was around $199 for the season and we got all of the games not broadcasted in our region. Slowly the price crept up while at the same time we lost games (e.g. Thursday night games). It is now a very expensive, limited service in my opinion. I ditched it. I just go to the sports bar down the street if i want to catch a game that's not broadcasted or just watch the status update on NFL's site. Direct TV lost its way long before AT&T got them. Now, with AT&T they are losing customers by the drove. 

You didn't lose games because of Thursday Night Football, every Sunday afternoon game is still shown on Sunday Ticket unless it is already on your local channel. That is what you were paying for, not SNF, not MNF, not "every game that isn't on local CBS/Fox coverage. If you don't have ESPN or don't have an NBC station on your TV package (some carriers have disputes and go dark for a period) you were not getting those with Sunday Ticket.

I suspect the increasing cost and reduction in discounts are a result of more and more people figured out how to get a deal. They lost revenue, and needed to start charging full price for more people. I've always thought a business model that gives special pricing for some people that ask, and full price for others is horrible, for both the business and the consumer. Just have a fair price for all customers. 

On 9/4/2019 at 9:31 AM, Rileyrott said:

I've had DirecTV since 1996...23 years. I have multiple HD DVR's, whole-home conncecivity, all of the movie channels, MLB and NFL every year, etc. I called 3 times, talked to Customer Retention, Supervisors, etc. ALL they would offer me was $16.50/month off of NFL Sunday Ticket. So, I completely cancelled my DirecTV service and am returning all my equipment and told them to go pound sand. Unbelievable.

I live in the country so my streaming options are extremely limited. I'm probably going to go with Dish so I can at least get NFL Redzone. I'm beyond pissed.

Get the call from Retention yet?  

2 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I'll send you a direct contact if you need one. 

Don't think it will do much good. I talked to Customer Retention 3 times, and spoke to a "supervisor" twice (different one each time), to no avail.

I'm in Stevegrab's camp and am really tired of going through this song and dance every year, and their "business model" sucks in giving varying discounts to some...and none to others.

I'll be GLAD when DirecTV loses the NFL Sunday Ticket monopoly to other carriers...the sooner, the better.

1 minute ago, Rileyrott said:

Don't think it will do much good. I talked to Customer Retention 3 times, and spoke to a "supervisor" twice (different one each time), to no avail.

I'm in Stevegrab's camp and am really tired of going through this song and dance every year, and their "business model" sucks in giving varying discounts to some...and none to others.

I'll be GLAD when DirecTV loses the NFL Sunday Ticket monopoly to other carriers...the sooner, the better.

Well good luck. Let me know if you need this contact. It's to the top. 

• 1 month later...

Good for you guys who work a free or discount deal.  The way I look at it, I'm essentially paying $25 a week to stay out of sports bars (which is a discount if you think about it--even if you only drink soda or iced tea).  On top of that, the mobile app has already been worth it twice this year as I've found myself travelling and working on Sunday.  I have no problem paying the rate for something I enjoy.

• Like 1

I just hate the business model. Here's our high price foe our product, or you can call and complain and try to get a better deal. Why not just charge a fair and reasonable price to everyone. Also giving me stuff free that I may not want or have time to use isn't a reduced price. 

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

I just hate the business model. Here's our high price foe our product, or you can call and complain and try to get a better deal. Why not just charge a fair and reasonable price to everyone. Also giving me stuff free that I may not want or have time to use isn't a reduced price. 

They also know that the jig is up. Everyone is streaming internet TV. Cable and satellite TV is all but dead. They need to make money now while they still can, it won't be long before they are a dinosaur. 

47 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

They also know that the jig is up. Everyone is streaming internet TV. Cable and satellite TV is all but dead. They need to make money now while they still can, it won't be long before they are a dinosaur. 

Either that, or evolve with the market.  They have come up with a streaming option, but they could also drop their base pricing to try to match the competitors (or beat it) to retain customers.  By holding the high price, or increasing it... they drive away market shares.