[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Luck Retiring

dope man

37 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

He did the right thing. It's just the timing that baffles me. If he knew he was retiring then why was he even there? Why wait till Sunday? The players had no idea either. He could have announced it pre-game to his teammates then issued a statement. 

15 minutes ago, DMD said:

Agreed - the oddest timing I have ever seen on a retirement

Well, he's not the only one

https://www.profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/24/report-paul-worrilow-retires-day-after-signing-with-ravens/amp/

3 hours ago, LordOpie said:

partly to be able to hold his contract rights. If he came back next year healthy and motivated, he could have 10 years, assuming they fix the OL. That's worth the $25mil

I for one don't believe he's 100% ruled out a return. I think he's frustrated with his inability to fully recovery and the constant pressures from the team and the media that surround that lack of recovery. By retiring he can quiet the noise and focus on his health without rushing or at least thinking he has to rush it. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

I for one don't believe he's 100% ruled out a return. I think he's frustrated with his inability to fully recovery and the constant pressures from the team and the media that surround that lack of recovery. By retiring he can quiet the noise and focus on his health without rushing or at least thinking he has to rush it. 

I feel that as well. I think this is a hiatus rather than a retirement. The way it went down doesn't feel right. 

46 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

I agree with this.  He will have the time to get mentally and physically back on par.

Not many lifetime football players can totally give up playing or the wanting to play.  A few have done it, but many have not and are still trying to get back in the game past their prime ages.

Maybe, but it seems guys who have taken a lot of physical punishment, particularly an educated wealthy guy like Luck may sit around and ponder CTE and the grind and decide maybe it's not worth it.  I don't know, maybe I am wrong and he relaxes this year and decides he wants to give it another shot.  Maybe thy talk to him and say they will invest in OL and try to get him to come back. Can they try to recoup $$ if he doesn't come back next year? That's a lot to leave to a player as a goodwill gesture. 

Edit: nevermind they reached a settlement last week, so it's a done deal $$ wise. 

Edited by purplemonster

45 minutes ago, XFlash said:

I agree with this.  He will have the time to get mentally and physically back on par.

Not many lifetime football players can totally give up playing or the wanting to play.  A few have done it, but many have not and are still trying to get back in the game past their prime ages.

I remember many people saying the same thing about Barry Sanders. Great player on a horrible team, hoping he would come back and play somewhere else. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mitpdub said:

I remember many people saying the same thing about Barry Sanders. Great player on a horrible team, hoping he would come back and play somewhere else. 

Yup! 

Jim Brown

Otto Graham

Barry Sanders

Rob Smith

While rare, it has happened before. 

32 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

but why? What if Brissett is actually a good QB? Eli wouldn't change teams just to be a back up.

He already started all of 2017 and threw for 3098 yards and 13 TDs. Luck threw for 4593 yards and 39 TDs with pretty much the same team the next year. Brissett has already proven to be back-up quality.

4 hours ago, League_Champion said:

I'm not saying it's ever gonna happen but it would be interesting. And no Brissett is not good. He's serviceable. 

Based on what??  He's young, mobile, and knows the offense.  This time he actually has one of the best O-lines in the league

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Gourdeau said:

Man, I don't know. That dude looked broken to me at the press conference. Like mentally broken and done.

I don't think he comes back. You can't come back from that. Especially leaving the locker room two weeks before the season. He's smart enough to know that an ending like that is a true ending.

He's done. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chief Dick said:

Man, I don't know. That dude looked broken to me at the press conference. Like mentally broken and done.

I don't think he comes back. You can't come back from that. Especially leaving the locker room two weeks before the season. He's smart enough to know that an ending like that is a true ending.

He's done. 

As much as I don't want it to be true, I agree with you.  If he had any desire to come back, he would have done this earlier.  

I read somewhere this morning, someone asked him if he will unretire in the future?  He said he cannot see the future but his firm stance right now is he's done.  Permanently.  

21 hours ago, DMD said:

He already started all of 2017 and threw for 3098 yards and 13 TDs. Luck threw for 4593 yards and 39 TDs with pretty much the same team the next year. Brissett has already proven to be back-up quality.

Brissett took 52 sacks, most in the NFL in 2017, Luck took 18 sacks in 2018, after over 40 in 2016. I'd suspect the line was better last year, or some other aspect of their offense took some pressure off Luck. Not sure you can say they were the same team, you don't cut sacks down that quickly (team totals of 44, 56, 18 in last 3 seasons) with the same team. 

By no means am I saying Brissett is anywhere close to Luck, or an elite or top 10-15 starter, but he's more than some backup caliber guy. 

Edited by stevegrab
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Shorttynaz said:

As much as I don't want it to be true, I agree with you.  If he had any desire to come back, he would have done this earlier.  

I read somewhere this morning, someone asked him if he will unretire in the future?  He said he cannot see the future but his firm stance right now is he's done.  Permanently.  

His college coach was guest on "The Herd" this morning. Coach said Andrew does not do anything half heartedly and he isn't coming back.