Wolverines Fan

Minkah Fitzpatrick traded to Pittsburgh for a 1st round pick

Recommended Posts

  • Per Rotoworld:

    Steelers acquired DB Minkah Fitzpatrick from the Dolphins in exchange for a 2020 first-round pick.

    Fourth- and seventh-rounders are also going to Pittsburgh, with fifth- and sixth-rounders coming to Miami. Amazing get for the Dolphins. The Steelers are 0-2 and just lost Ben Roethlisberger for the season. There's a very good chance this pick ends up being top-10 and maybe even top-5 in next year's draft. The Dolphins now have three 2020 first-rounders and two second-rounders. In 2021, Miami owns two first-round picks. For Pittsburgh, this is a very odd move to essentially go all in on Rudolph the rest of the year and not have a first-rounder next spring. GM Kevin Colbert better be right. Fitzpatrick plays a premium position as a corner who can play outside and inside. He gives Pittsburgh a nice trio of Joe Haden, Steven Nelson, and Fitzpatrick.

    RELATED: 
    Sep 16, 2019, 10:13 PM ET
     
     
    With Big Ben done for the season and Mason Rudolph getting an audition, is this the kind of move the Steelers needed to make?
     
    Pittsburgh homers?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wolverines Fan said:
  • Per Rotoworld:

    Steelers acquired DB Minkah Fitzpatrick from the Dolphins in exchange for a 2020 first-round pick.

    Fourth- and seventh-rounders are also going to Pittsburgh, with fifth- and sixth-rounders coming to Miami. Amazing get for the Dolphins. The Steelers are 0-2 and just lost Ben Roethlisberger for the season. There's a very good chance this pick ends up being top-10 and maybe even top-5 in next year's draft. The Dolphins now have three 2020 first-rounders and two second-rounders. In 2021, Miami owns two first-round picks. For Pittsburgh, this is a very odd move to essentially go all in on Rudolph the rest of the year and not have a first-rounder next spring. GM Kevin Colbert better be right. Fitzpatrick plays a premium position as a corner who can play outside and inside. He gives Pittsburgh a nice trio of Joe Haden, Steven Nelson, and Fitzpatrick.

    RELATED: 
    Sep 16, 2019, 10:13 PM ET
     
     
    With Big Ben done for the season and Mason Rudolph getting an audition, is this the kind of move the Steelers needed to make?
     
    Pittsburgh homers?

 

 

 

I'm shocked. We don't make these moves so they obviously see something they like. I don't know own enough about him to really comment other than we haven't had a solid corner in years and have needed one for years. Ben released a statement saying he is 100% honoring his contract which means he's got 2 more years after this season. Is Minkah that good that a defense can be built around him along with Devin Bush and TJ Watt. I don't know that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So after some thinking I'll. Say this 

 

In general all the "experts" are saying the deal makes no sense because we could have had a top 10 pick and got a QB.

 

We have no idea what Rudolph is capable of yet. He was awesome in college. The Steelers had a 1st round grade on him and took him in 3rd moving up to get him. They obviously feel strongly that he is the next guy. All the "experts" are up in arms that the Dolphins are tanking and now are all up in arms that the Steelers refuse to tank and made an impact move and going for it after losing their QB.

 

Im not sold that we will end up in the top 10 of the draft. I dont think we are worse than the Dolphins, Jets, Jags, Giants, Cardinals, Raiders, Bengals, Panthers, Broncos and Redskins. Then there's the unknowns like Lions, Browns Bills and Titans. Rudolph looked pretty good vs the Seahawks so we ill see.

 

With that said Minkah was 11th pick last year. Were we getting someone better on the next draft? Do we have the ability to properly scout safeties and CBs? Not the last 15 years no. We havent drafted an impact player in the secondary since we moved up to 16 to get Troy in 2003 or 2004. We really haven't had an opportunity to draft one either because we are always in the back end of the draft. So we get a proven top 11 guy in his 2nd year, we get him for 3 year plus a 4th year option and only have to pay him 2/3 of his salary as Dolphins retain 1/3. We now don't have to bust our ass to scout a 1st round talent cause we already got a proven one. The move solidifies our defense for a lot of years. Devin Bush, TJ Watt and Minkah is a solid core of young elite defenders. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like this is incredibly dumb. I get that MIA wants to rebuild and reload, but he was 1.11 last year and no one thought that was dumb. Everyone though that 1.11 was a fair spot. In last year's draft, a 2020 1st was probably worth a late 2nd round pick, something like pick #60, right? Even if PIT doesn't go to the playoffs, this is a great move by them as they get a 1.11 really cheap and he's under a rookie contract for 2 more years with an option.

I can't really blame MIA because if you're going no where, then why not. MIA should focus on their OL in 2020 and QB in 2021, making them a monster team, even if the rest of the team ain't that great. OL baby!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This makes sense because 

- they cannot replace Ben, and they are not likely to find much of an upgrade available around the league

- they need help in the secondary now and long term

- helping the defense out short term may allow them to more slowly work on getting Rudolph prepared to be the starter (now and possibly for the future)

 

Yes it was a high price, but who knows what they get with that pick next year. No way would that pick be top 5 (Rotoworld staff smoking the good stuff) and may not even be top 10, there are plenty of teams that are worse in the NFL. And PIT still has 5 games with CIN, MIA, AZ, NYJ. They were not horrible against a good Seahawks team after Ben went down. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, League_Champion said:

That could end up being a top 5 pick they gave up. That's way too much in my opinion. 

 

Yup, nice haul by Miami.  That team is going to suck for a couple of years but if they hit on some of these picks, they will be ripe for taking over the division since it'll be right around the time ol' man Brady hangs 'em up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jesus it’s before too long it’s gonna sound like this.... 

and with the first pick in the 2020 nfl draft the dolphins select

 

and with the second pick in the 2020 nfl draft the dolphins select

 

and with the third pick in the 2020 nfl draft the dolphins select

 

etc.etc.

Edited by Sunday Couch Potatoe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sunday Couch Potatoe said:

Jesus it’s before too long it’s gonna sound like this.... 

and with the first pick in the 2020 nfl draft the dolphins select

 

and with the second pick in the 2020 nfl draft the dolphins select

 

and with the third pick in the 2020 nfl draft the dolphins select

 

etc.etc.

Did they get the Jets and Cards 1st round picks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sunday Couch Potatoe said:

The way they’re going they just may

 

Who is left to trade. Xavien Howard, anyone else lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sunday Couch Potatoe said:

At the rate they’re going they’ll somehow get a first rounder for Fitz magic 

 

:lol:

 

If somebody is foolish enough to offer that should they turn it down?

 

I don't like the deliberate tanking and fire sale, but that ship has sailed in the NFL. Seems odd that it bothers you this much, they're not a rival or any threat to impact the 49ers. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Sunday Couch Potatoe said:

Jesus it’s before too long it’s gonna sound like this.... 

and with the first pick in the 2020 nfl draft the dolphins select

 

and with the second pick in the 2020 nfl draft the dolphins select

 

and with the third pick in the 2020 nfl draft the dolphins select

 

etc.etc.

 

SS1.JPG.ad29e861740d35965cb7341abf61e621.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

 

If somebody is foolish enough to offer that should they turn it down?

 

I don't like the deliberate tanking and fire sale, but that ship has sailed in the NFL. Seems odd that it bothers you this much, they're not a rival or any threat to impact the 49ers. 

Can you not sense sarcasm? I don’t give a rats ass what they get I’m just having some fun with there draft pick bonanza

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, League_Champion said:

That could end up being a top 5 pick they gave up. That's way too much in my opinion. 

 

Isnt he better than a top 5 pick? He's a top 10 talent that is proven already. How many top 10 picks have we seen not live up to their hype. Plus, no signing bonus. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

 

Isnt he better than a top 5 pick? He's a top 10 talent that is proven already. How many top 10 picks have we seen not live up to their hype. Plus, no signing bonus. 

 

 

I think they have more pressing needs, especially with Big Ben being 85 years old and O-line issues

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

 

 

I think they have more pressing needs, especially with Big Ben being 85 years old and O-line issues

 

LOL they have a top 3 oline in the league what are you talking about? This has been one of the only pressing needs they've had Since Polamalu retired. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

 

LOL they have a top 3 oline in the league what are you talking about? This has been one of the only pressing needs they've had Since Polamalu retired. 

 

Really? Looked like shizz to me on Sunday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sunday Couch Potatoe said:

Can you not sense sarcasm? I don’t give a rats ass what they get I’m just having some fun with there draft pick bonanza

 

Sarcasm is very hard to detect in the written word. If I say to somebody "Jesus I cannot believe this and that" I'm POed and not being sarcastic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

 

LOL they have a top 3 oline in the league what are you talking about? This has been one of the only pressing needs they've had Since Polamalu retired. 

 

He just spits out a lot of stuff hoping he is right once in a while.

 

As for Ben being 85, didn't they draft somebody they think can be his successor in Rudolph?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

 

Sarcasm is very hard to detect in the written word. If I say to somebody "Jesus I cannot believe this and that" I'm POed and not being sarcastic. 

 

Shut up Steve, stop being the get off my lawn old man. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

 

Really? Looked like shizz to me on Sunday. 

 

Dude I like you but seriously? What game did you watch ? I'm guessing you didn't watch it lol. 1 sack and only 2 tfl ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sunday Couch Potatoe said:

Jesus it’s before too long it’s gonna sound like this.... 

and with the first pick in the 2020 nfl draft the dolphins select

 

and with the second pick in the 2020 nfl draft the dolphins select

 

and with the third pick in the 2020 nfl draft the dolphins select

 

etc.etc.

 

Actually I bet they try and trade down in 2020 and will tank again next season to try and get Trevor Lawrence from Clemson.  I don't know if they're sold on Tua to be quite honest.  I sure as hell am not.  I think he's a product of that system and will be no better than Marcus Mariota in the NFL.  

 

I bet they load up on OL and DL in 2020 and look to get more/higher picks in 2021.

 

2 hours ago, Gourdeau said:

 

Who is left to trade. Xavien Howard, anyone else lol

 

Reshad Jones would be helpful to someone.  Maybe Albert Wilson?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.