[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Minkah Fitzpatrick traded to Pittsburgh for a 1st round pick

Wolverines Fan

• Per Rotoworld:

Steelers acquired DB Minkah Fitzpatrick from the Dolphins in exchange for a 2020 first-round pick.

Fourth- and seventh-rounders are also going to Pittsburgh, with fifth- and sixth-rounders coming to Miami. Amazing get for the Dolphins. The Steelers are 0-2 and just lost Ben Roethlisberger for the season. There's a very good chance this pick ends up being top-10 and maybe even top-5 in next year's draft. The Dolphins now have three 2020 first-rounders and two second-rounders. In 2021, Miami owns two first-round picks. For Pittsburgh, this is a very odd move to essentially go all in on Rudolph the rest of the year and not have a first-rounder next spring. GM Kevin Colbert better be right. Fitzpatrick plays a premium position as a corner who can play outside and inside. He gives Pittsburgh a nice trio of Joe Haden, Steven Nelson, and Fitzpatrick.

RELATED: 
    Sep 16, 2019, 10:13 PM ET

With Big Ben done for the season and Mason Rudolph getting an audition, is this the kind of move the Steelers needed to make?

Pittsburgh homers?

1 hour ago, Wolverines Fan said:
  • Per Rotoworld:

Steelers acquired DB Minkah Fitzpatrick from the Dolphins in exchange for a 2020 first-round pick.

Fourth- and seventh-rounders are also going to Pittsburgh, with fifth- and sixth-rounders coming to Miami. Amazing get for the Dolphins. The Steelers are 0-2 and just lost Ben Roethlisberger for the season. There's a very good chance this pick ends up being top-10 and maybe even top-5 in next year's draft. The Dolphins now have three 2020 first-rounders and two second-rounders. In 2021, Miami owns two first-round picks. For Pittsburgh, this is a very odd move to essentially go all in on Rudolph the rest of the year and not have a first-rounder next spring. GM Kevin Colbert better be right. Fitzpatrick plays a premium position as a corner who can play outside and inside. He gives Pittsburgh a nice trio of Joe Haden, Steven Nelson, and Fitzpatrick.

RELATED: 
    Sep 16, 2019, 10:13 PM ET

With Big Ben done for the season and Mason Rudolph getting an audition, is this the kind of move the Steelers needed to make?

Pittsburgh homers?

I'm shocked. We don't make these moves so they obviously see something they like. I don't know own enough about him to really comment other than we haven't had a solid corner in years and have needed one for years. Ben released a statement saying he is 100% honoring his contract which means he's got 2 more years after this season. Is Minkah that good that a defense can be built around him along with Devin Bush and TJ Watt. I don't know that. 

So after some thinking I'll. Say this 

In general all the "experts" are saying the deal makes no sense because we could have had a top 10 pick and got a QB.

We have no idea what Rudolph is capable of yet. He was awesome in college. The Steelers had a 1st round grade on him and took him in 3rd moving up to get him. They obviously feel strongly that he is the next guy. All the "experts" are up in arms that the Dolphins are tanking and now are all up in arms that the Steelers refuse to tank and made an impact move and going for it after losing their QB.

Im not sold that we will end up in the top 10 of the draft. I dont think we are worse than the Dolphins, Jets, Jags, Giants, Cardinals, Raiders, Bengals, Panthers, Broncos and Redskins. Then there's the unknowns like Lions, Browns Bills and Titans. Rudolph looked pretty good vs the Seahawks so we ill see.

With that said Minkah was 11th pick last year. Were we getting someone better on the next draft? Do we have the ability to properly scout safeties and CBs? Not the last 15 years no. We havent drafted an impact player in the secondary since we moved up to 16 to get Troy in 2003 or 2004. We really haven't had an opportunity to draft one either because we are always in the back end of the draft. So we get a proven top 11 guy in his 2nd year, we get him for 3 year plus a 4th year option and only have to pay him 2/3 of his salary as Dolphins retain 1/3. We now don't have to bust our ass to scout a 1st round talent cause we already got a proven one. The move solidifies our defense for a lot of years. Devin Bush, TJ Watt and Minkah is a solid core of young elite defenders. 

This makes sense because 

- they cannot replace Ben, and they are not likely to find much of an upgrade available around the league

- they need help in the secondary now and long term

- helping the defense out short term may allow them to more slowly work on getting Rudolph prepared to be the starter (now and possibly for the future)

Yes it was a high price, but who knows what they get with that pick next year. No way would that pick be top 5 (Rotoworld staff smoking the good stuff) and may not even be top 10, there are plenty of teams that are worse in the NFL. And PIT still has 5 games with CIN, MIA, AZ, NYJ. They were not horrible against a good Seahawks team after Ben went down. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, League_Champion said:

That could end up being a top 5 pick they gave up. That's way too much in my opinion. 

Yup, nice haul by Miami.  That team is going to suck for a couple of years but if they hit on some of these picks, they will be ripe for taking over the division since it'll be right around the time ol' man Brady hangs 'em up.

Jesus it’s before too long it’s gonna sound like this.... 

and with the first pick in the 2020 nfl draft the dolphins select

and with the second pick in the 2020 nfl draft the dolphins select

and with the third pick in the 2020 nfl draft the dolphins select

etc.etc.

Edited by Sunday Couch Potatoe

2 minutes ago, Sunday Couch Potatoe said:

etc.etc.

Did they get the Jets and Cards 1st round picks?

1 minute ago, Sunday Couch Potatoe said:

At the rate they’re going they’ll somehow get a first rounder for Fitz magic 

:lol:

If somebody is foolish enough to offer that should they turn it down?

I don't like the deliberate tanking and fire sale, but that ship has sailed in the NFL. Seems odd that it bothers you this much, they're not a rival or any threat to impact the 49ers. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sunday Couch Potatoe said:

etc.etc.

SS1.JPG.ad29e861740d35965cb7341abf61e621.JPG

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

If somebody is foolish enough to offer that should they turn it down?

I don't like the deliberate tanking and fire sale, but that ship has sailed in the NFL. Seems odd that it bothers you this much, they're not a rival or any threat to impact the 49ers. 

Can you not sense sarcasm? I don’t give a rats ass what they get I’m just having some fun with there draft pick bonanza

5 hours ago, League_Champion said:

That could end up being a top 5 pick they gave up. That's way too much in my opinion. 

Isnt he better than a top 5 pick? He's a top 10 talent that is proven already. How many top 10 picks have we seen not live up to their hype. Plus, no signing bonus. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I think they have more pressing needs, especially with Big Ben being 85 years old and O-line issues

LOL they have a top 3 oline in the league what are you talking about? This has been one of the only pressing needs they've had Since Polamalu retired. 

1 hour ago, Sunday Couch Potatoe said:

Can you not sense sarcasm? I don’t give a rats ass what they get I’m just having some fun with there draft pick bonanza

Sarcasm is very hard to detect in the written word. If I say to somebody "Jesus I cannot believe this and that" I'm POed and not being sarcastic. 

30 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

LOL they have a top 3 oline in the league what are you talking about? This has been one of the only pressing needs they've had Since Polamalu retired. 

He just spits out a lot of stuff hoping he is right once in a while.

As for Ben being 85, didn't they draft somebody they think can be his successor in Rudolph?  

3 hours ago, Sunday Couch Potatoe said:

etc.etc.

Actually I bet they try and trade down in 2020 and will tank again next season to try and get Trevor Lawrence from Clemson.  I don't know if they're sold on Tua to be quite honest.  I sure as hell am not.  I think he's a product of that system and will be no better than Marcus Mariota in the NFL.  

I bet they load up on OL and DL in 2020 and look to get more/higher picks in 2021.

2 hours ago, Gourdeau said:

Who is left to trade. Xavien Howard, anyone else lol

Reshad Jones would be helpful to someone.  Maybe Albert Wilson?

3 hours ago, Gourdeau said:

Who is left to trade. Xavien Howard, anyone else lol

21 minutes ago, darin3 said:

Reshad Jones would be helpful to someone.  Maybe Albert Wilson?

Throw in Drake, Parker, and McMillan too.