Sign in to follow this  
ksu70

Young WR's

The WR position usually creates those opening week blowup games and sometimes with rookies.  This season doesn't seem much different other than a few of them have backed the first week up with solid second weeks.  Between M Brown, McLaurin, Chark, Deebo and maybe a couple others I have not mentioned do you see a difference in this year's crop where they will sustain the early success with long term season value?  I guess I am also not used to younger WR's seeing this many targets. 

I do think the names you mentioned are for the most part the real deal. All those receivers have different styles but they're all highly competitive.  I can't say much about Chark

Watched McLaurin week in and week out while with the Bucks...I'm shocked at his early success. He was really good in college but I just didn't see this coming. And it's not even with his QB yet

7 hours ago, loaf said:

Watched McLaurin week in and week out while with the Bucks...I'm shocked at his early success. He was really good in college but I just didn't see this coming. And it's not even with his QB yet

It's a little confusing.  He looks like a polished receiver, not a 1st year guy who didn't even get many receptions.  Marquise Brown is just lightning fast.  He is the real deal just by virtue of how fast he is.  Chark again had >50 yds and a TD for the third straight game so he may end up being a reliable WR2 or WR3.  Deebo I think will be a regular starter just because the dude loves to fight and loves contact.  So yes, for the most part I think you can count on these WR's. 

Edited by purplemonster

Yep some young talented guys with good starts.  Look at the top 10-20 WR in scoring, where are the studs?  Julio and OBJ are there, but no Adams, or Thomas, Hopkins just barely (using stats in my league, no PPR). Thielen, Cupp, JuJu, and many more are way down the list. Various reasons from injuries (theirs or QB), tough Ds, to spreading the ball around. 

The struggle I am having is I think I am just conditioned to rookie WR's not producing with any real consistency over their first year so I have tended to just stay away but a few of these guys look good.  Then you start to lump these new guys in with second or third year WR's you are looking for breakouts from (Dede Westbrook, Mike Williams, Corey Davis, Josh Gordon, Courtland Sutton etc....) and it gets to be pretty difficult to figure out who is real and who isn't. 

15 hours ago, loaf said:

Why are you shocked?  Were you shocked at Michael Thomas' success?  The OSU offense rarely highlights its WRs in a positive light.  All you need to do is look at measaurables, route running and opportunity.  I took McLaurin wherever possible hoping for a Thomas repeat.  Now, that may be a stretch, but I'm not shocked at McLaurin's success at all.  :shrug: 

• Like 1

I was shocked at Michael Thomas' success too. I guess I never think the Buckeyes are as good as they are because of the scarlet and gray glass wearers around here.

• Thanks 1

On 9/20/2019 at 2:41 PM, darin3 said:

Why are you shocked?  Were you shocked at Michael Thomas' success?  The OSU offense rarely highlights its WRs in a positive light.  All you need to do is look at measaurables, route running and opportunity.  I took McLaurin wherever possible hoping for a Thomas repeat.  Now, that may be a stretch, but I'm not shocked at McLaurin's success at all.  :shrug: 

I'm loving me some McLaurin so far. 

On 9/20/2019 at 2:41 PM, darin3 said:

OSU never had a throw first QB like Haskins. Thomas had Barrett, Miller and Jones. 

On 9/19/2019 at 6:47 PM, ksu70 said:

The WR position usually creates those opening week blowup games and sometimes with rookies.  This season doesn't seem much different other than a few of them have backed the first week up with solid second weeks.  Between M Brown, McLaurin, Chark, Deebo and maybe a couple others I have not mentioned do you see a difference in this year's crop where they will sustain the early success with long term season value?  I guess I am also not used to younger WR's seeing this many targets. 

And now Chark is in the lead for most dynamic....

I thought Deebo would be doing a little more right now, but Garoppalo for all the Niners success has been a bit up and down and they're really focused on the run.  I think he's someone to watch for next year.  Generally though a pretty good showing for first year receivers.  Some breakouts for 2nd year guys like Chark, Gallup, Sutton, as well.