[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any stories of final player getting 35+ points to win you the matchup? Need hope with Conner going tonight...

turbotooslow

Started Hardman over Woods in one league and over Godwin in the other (both .5 ppr). One the worst calls I can remember making because I know better than to chase after the big play from a low volume receiver. Anyway, in the league I started him over Woods I am down by 39....any stories where the player ACTUALLY put up a monster game and won you the matchup?

I remember in like 2010 I was down by 100 or so and had Vick/McCoy/DJax going on Monday Night when they put up that monster game. I won that game comfortably so I know I have at least a chance. Would love to hear your stories!

9 minutes ago, stethant said:

Two words: Shaun Alexander. 2002 i think - 5 TDs in the first half. Greatest undeserved comeback victory for me ever. One player scoring like 50 points. 

Believe, son. Believe.

Thank you, thank you very much! Also, I'm a Bengals fan so this will be interesting. If anyone is going to do it it's going to be against us (no shame here).

yes, opponent(#1 team at the time) had a slight lead

Was facing Buffalo's Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, & Andre Reed. All I had left was Christian "The Nigerian Nightmare" Okoye.

Buffalo @ KC on a Monday night. KC's D virtually shutout the Bills. Okoye ran for 120 and 2 TD's and I won, That was sweet:yes:

Edited by slambo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, turbotooslow said:

Great stories, y'all! That wildcat TD that Samuels got (that could've easily been shoveled to Conner for a TD kind of killed my mood. Still, even at 1-3, happy that Conner had a good day from a fantasy perspective.

Agreed! The college offense last night was a little depressing.

13 hours ago, slambo said:

Was facing Buffalo's Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, & Andre Reed. All I had left was Christian "The Nigerian Nightmare" Okoye.

Buffalo @ KC on a Monday night. KC's D virtually shutout the Bills. Okoye ran for 120 and 2 TD's and I won, That was sweet:yes:

I remember watching that game in college. If I remember, that was the Chiefs first Monday night game in years. That stadium was pure nuclear that night. 

15 hours ago, slambo said:

I have a similar type of story that @Gopher just looooves when I bring this up.  It only bears mentioning since it was for the championship in one of the longer-running BOTH leagues, ConFusion. 

Gopher had Anquan Boldin and a 3-4 point lead going into MNF.  I had Navarro Bowman.  Both players on the Niners, both players were at or near the top tiers of their respective positions so I figured I had a chance.

Back and forth it went all throughout the first half.  Boldin with a catch here, a catch there... Bowman with a tackle here, a tackle there.... finally, towards the end of the 1st half, Boldin catches a TD, putting Gopher up by a good 12-13 points.  So I figured I was toast.  2nd half, more of the same.... Boldin with a few more catches, Bowman with more tackles... the gap had closed to about 8-9 I believe.

Final minute of action, I would need like 4 straight tackles from Bowman with the Falcons and Matty Ice on the field.  Could happen, right?  A buddy of mine was at the bar with me, not so football-savvy, and looks over at me and asks "Yo, what happens if your guy intercepts the ball and takes it for a TD?"  I guffawed at the possibility.  Literally 20 seconds later, Ryan throws this weak slant pass that Bowman steps in front of and takes back for a pick-6 with like 20 seconds left on the clock.... giving me the victory by a mere couple of points.  

I was literally dancing around that sports bar like I didn't have a care in the world.

Sorry, Gopher, you know I have to break this story out at least once a year.  :lol: 

Forget who the WR was for the Raiders, I had them and was watching a late season MNF game while visiting my brother in Los Angeles. The guy went off, I won my game catapulting me to the playoffs and scoring enough points to give me the weekly high score and some more $$

When I'm down by a lot I usually look at a higher number of TDs scored for the player (or defense, or long FGs for a kicker). Then toss in some other yardage (or turnvers/sacks for D, XP for kicker) to see now I can get close.  Trail by 20 with a RB/WR/TE player, that's a TD and 140 yards, or 2TD and 80 yards.

Last week I had the Bears D, and trailed by over 30.  We get 10pts for a shutout, so with 2 TDs that would be 22, and I'd need a combined 10 or so turnovers/sacks to get there. I knew that was a lot and pretty unlikely. Bears got kind of close with 5 turnovers, 4 sacks (9pts), plus a TD (6) and 3 more for allowing 15 points, a total of 18. They needed that 2nd TD and the shutout, to get me over the hump.

24 minutes ago, darin3 said:

I have a similar type of story that @Gopher just looooves when I bring this up.  It only bears mentioning since it was for the championship in one of the longer-running BOTH leagues, ConFusion. 

Gopher had Anquan Boldin and a 3-4 point lead going into MNF.  I had Navarro Bowman.  Both players on the Niners, both players were at or near the top tiers of their respective positions so I figured I had a chance.

Back and forth it went all throughout the first half.  Boldin with a catch here, a catch there... Bowman with a tackle here, a tackle there.... finally, towards the end of the 1st half, Boldin catches a TD, putting Gopher up by a good 12-13 points.  So I figured I was toast.  2nd half, more of the same.... Boldin with a few more catches, Bowman with more tackles... the gap had closed to about 8-9 I believe.

Final minute of action, I would need like 4 straight tackles from Bowman with the Falcons and Matty Ice on the field.  Could happen, right?  A buddy of mine was at the bar with me, not so football-savvy, and looks over at me and asks "Yo, what happens if your guy intercepts the ball and takes it for a TD?"  I guffawed at the possibility.  Literally 20 seconds later, Ryan throws this weak slant pass that Bowman steps in front of and takes back for a pick-6 with like 20 seconds left on the clock.... giving me the victory by a mere couple of points.  

I was literally dancing around that sports bar like I didn't have a care in the world.

Sorry, Gopher, you know I have to break this story out at least once a year.  :lol: 

I was just thinking "man, he has to bring this up at least once a season...."  :rolleyes::lol:

That one stung.  I think I redeemed myself a year or two later and took the title.  I remember another year, in one of my long-time locals, where I needed literally 10 yards from Marty Booker (back when he was the #1 in CHI) on MNF, and he went the entire game without a catch.  I was in shock.  

I'm sure I've had instances of pulling out close wins as well, but those usually feel more like relief for me than anything else.  Funny how the agony of defeat is uusally more memorable than the thrill of victory, at least for me.  

Another bad beat story.  2000 championship, TD heavy league, MNF I had a comfortable lead with Kurt Warner left to play.  My opponent had Warrick Dunn who scored only 6 TDs all season prior to this.  Dunn goes nuts and the Rams were all runs that night costing me a win.

2014, Week 11... after the 4 o'clock games I had a 99% chance (according to yahoo) of winning a particular match up.  Then came Jonas Gray, I believe it was a sunday night game and I had no one going that night or Monday.  It was a slow painful death watching that "chance of winning line" continue to shift.  200+ yards and 4 TDs later I had lost.

2005 I think.  Down by 45-ish points, my opponent is done, I have LaDainian left in the Sunday or Monday nighter.  Opponent's been talking trash (good natured trash - we're good friends).  LT goes off - 3 rushing TDs, throws a TD pass.  Late in the game, Chargers are winning big and I'm still down by 4-5 points.  Handoff to LT, he breaks a 60+ yard run to put me in the lead.  Schottenheimer puts LT on the bench and lets Michael Turner finish out the clock.

No trash talk from me...  I just post the full lyrics to "Mama Said Knock You Out" on the front page of our league web site.  Glorious.  It still comes up on occasion during draft weekend, including this year.

Edit: Did a little digging on Pro Football reference.  Looks like Week 3 of 2005, Sunday night against the Giants.  LT's final rush was from SD's 9 yard line, 62 yards to the Giants' 29.  We may have tweaked scoring since then, but looks like he was worth 47.1 points for me that night to barely squeak out the win.

Edited by monster2333

Seahawks on Monday night against Philly, Week 13 in 2004, down 35, with only the Hawks Def left for me and needed the win to get in playoffs. Didn't think I had a chance...5 sacks, 4 ints, shutout, 4 def tds...one of the most fun watching my home team obliterate the Eagles and made the miracle comeback win. Crazy ffb night! 

• Like 1

Wow!!!!! I've had a smile on my face reading all of these stories.

16 hours ago, Patriots said:

I forget the year but I was down a ton and had Mike Vick going on a Monday night.    All I remember is the team they were playing basically gave  up and Vick got me like 50 points to squeak out a win.   

Probably Vick's first, maybe second, year back in 2010 (I think). Same story I mentioned in my original post!!! Vick, DJax, and McCoy all WENT OFF. In my league that is 6 pt. TDs and a 4 pt. bonus for 40+ yd. TDs, 6 pt. bonus for 60+ yd. TDs, and small bonuses for passing/rushing/receiving milestones, Vick scored something like 70.5 points. It was awesome. It was my second year playing fantasy and my guru boss that got me into it knew I was into it and paid attention and loved football....I beat him that week on MNF by a landslide after being down by two landslides.

Monday Night Football don’t remember year maybe 2008ish. Brett Favre’s dad passed away a few days before game and not even sure if he’s gonna play. He announced he would because dad wouldn’t have had it any other way. So of course I fired the old cowboy up in my lineup He went for like 400 yards and 4 or 5 TDS at Oakland to squeak out a win for me. It was an emotional watch he was unstoppable that night!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunday Couch Potatoe said:

Monday Night Football don’t remember year maybe 2008ish. Brett Favre’s dad passed away a few days before game and not even sure if he’s gonna play. He announced he would because dad wouldn’t have had it any other way. So of course I fired the old cowboy up in my lineup He went for like 400 yards and 4 or 5 TDS at Oakland to squeak out a win for me. It was an emotional watch he was unstoppable that night!

On 9/30/2019 at 8:16 PM, Gourdeau said:

Yesterday I was down by 67 in a PPR with 2 guys left  he had noone left. My two guys you ask? Godwin with 41 and Woods with 28. Won by 1. Can't make it up.

That is insane!!!!!!!!! I hope you reveled in the victory and at least talked a bit of friendly smack to him/her!