[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Veto Advise

Panchosoad

In my league a trade was accepted Lamar Jackson for Mark Andrews. I suspect collusion since the one trading Jackson is bottom of the league and the one receiving Jackson has a better record and is his brother. How votes does a yahoo league need for it to be vetoed? If it goes through, is their anything I could do about it? 

The "fairness" of a trade depends on the needs of both parties to the transaction.  If one team has a serious need at a position while the other has excess, that can lead to trades that, on the surface, might at 1st look seem one-sided, but in reality services the needs of both teams.  People are waaaaaaaay too "veto-happy".  In the leagues I run, I call the shots on all trade disputes.  No immature voting from jealous teams.  In the 18 years I have been running 3 competitive keeper leagues, I think I have overturned maybe 2 trades, perhaps 3.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scourge said:

It’s nice to see after all these years that people still think vetoing trades like this is an acceptable practice. Some things never change I guess.

Worse yet they play in leagues that allow owners to vote to veto a trade. And people think that is a good way to structure a league, or its just some free league stuff on Yahoo with some default rules (free leagues suck).

• Confused 1

I was in a Military money league a few years ago where 2 buddies were obviously colluding. They each drafted a team and tried to create a super team through terrible trades to each other. None of which were vetoed. They didn't win the league and we disolved it the following year. This is an example of why you need some sort of veto power. 

38 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I was in a Military money league a few years ago where 2 buddies were obviously colluding. They each drafted a team and tried to create a super team through terrible trades to each other. None of which were vetoed. They didn't win the league and we disolved it the following year. This is an example of why you need some sort of veto power. 

Commissioners have veto power, me and my commish can if we like decline to approve a trade. Talk to the owners involved, get the views of other owners and prevent such manurety behavior. In 25+ years we've never had to do that. And we've rarely had any issue to even consider it. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Commissioners have veto power, me and my commish can if we like decline to approve a trade. Talk to the owners involved, get the views of other owners and prevent such manurety behavior. In 25+ years we've never had to do that. And we've rarely had any issue to even consider it. 

Did trade talks happen by phone 25 years ago?

This is a fair trade and even if it wasn't...only clear and obvious collusion can be vetoed. We called some owners out for their horrible drafts and they proceeded to make trades like Aaron Rodgers (that team took 5 QBs in the draft) for Leonard Fournette. We vetoed the trades and kicked them out immediately.

20 hours ago, League_Champion said:

It's also an example of why you need a strong-willed, fair commish to make the decision.  No voting.  My league by-laws only allow a vote when it is the commish's trade that is being questioned (which actually happened once, but I easily won the vote).  Otherwise, trade rejection is solely in the province of the commish.  

Edited by Dcat
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2019 at 8:59 PM, loaf said:

They did. And manual scoring...

Back then over half our league worked together and the rest played poker with my co-commish who was one in our office. Plenty of chance to talk and work on trades. We also had email. Trades are probably more common and quicker now but still among only about half the teams, some rarely trade. 

And yes we did manual scoring in the old days,it was what I did during MNF  each week.