[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Officiating

Dcat

Having cameras everywhere has not been kind to the refs.  I know the lineman's head was back but that's because he was being pushed by the shoulder.  He couldn't have seen it well because if he had he wouldn't have called it.  If you aren't sure you shouldn't be calling penalties esp.at that stage of the game.  I realize the games are close so a lot of calls can make a difference, and the action is fast but the 3 blind mice analogy isn't too far off.  They should really look at their training and selection methods of referees.  

As a side note, wasn't that GB player down at the 1 on that long pass TD?  I thought it was pretty clear on the replay.  

And after the first phantom call you'd think he wouldn't get fooled again. Plus the missed GB defense PI in between.

I used to think it was impossible that officials at this level were corrupt or cheating. But it is getting harder to believe that. 

1 minute ago, stevegrab said:

And after the first phantom call you'd think he wouldn't get fooled again. Plus the missed GB defense PI in between.

I used to think it was impossible that officials at this level were corrupt or cheating. But it is getting harder to believe that. 

I agree. It's beyond bad refereeing at this point. There has to be other factors, it's undeniable. 

They REFUSE to overturn challenged video replay calls, they are calling bogus penalties that decide games, etc. Is the NFL ordering them to call it like this? Are certain crews getting paid off? I think it's fair to assume anything. 

23 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I agree. It's beyond bad refereeing at this point. There has to be other factors, it's undeniable. 

They REFUSE to overturn challenged video replay calls, they are calling bogus penalties that decide games, etc. Is the NFL ordering them to call it like this? Are certain crews getting paid off? I think it's fair to assume anything. 

It is definitely a tough spot because games are so close officiating can often make the difference in who wins, lwt alone the point spread. Refs make what 150k? 200k?  Not bad, but they could make a lot more if they had a "sponsor". I don't think whole crews are cheating, but I can't exclude theres a rogue or two out there.  It wouldn't be shocking, let's put it that way.  The way the game is played and called you could essentially call a hold or PI on every play if you wanted to. 

Edited by purplemonster

46 minutes ago, doobwaa said:

I don't know whats worse .....

1. The refs are on the take

2. The refs are really this bad

It's almost unwatchable.... I mean thank god for Red Zone otherwise it would be

Watching Red Zone is like watching near real time highlights for 7 hours, you miss so much of the game that it isn't football anymore. Of course it masks the bad (along with lots of good).

Every time I read "thank God for the Red Zone" I think, thank God I don't watch that. Maybe that is the new trend in entertainment, maybe they could do this with movies and just show best bits of every current big movie out, all in just a couple hours.

11 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Watching Red Zone is like watching near real time highlights for 7 hours, you miss so much of the game that it isn't football anymore. Of course it masks the bad (along with lots of good).

Every time I read "thank God for the Red Zone" I think, thank God I don't watch that. Maybe that is the new trend in entertainment, maybe they could do this with movies and just show best bits of every current big movie out, all in just a couple hours.

There you go again Steve. Your a sad miserable old man. I really feel sorry for you. 

• Thanks 1

They should just put a replay official in the booth at every game. On-field refs who miss a bunch of calls get held out of games or fired, so there's still incentive to call things correctly on the field the first time.

Seriously why is this so hard? Protect your product worth billions and billions by spending like $10 million max per year on an extra booth ref per game. 

Good grief.

ETA: and the average age of a ref has got to be well over 50. The closer I get to 50 I can assure you my eyesight is not getting any better. Wtf NFL!!!!

Edited by stethant

1 hour ago, stethant said:

They should just put a replay official in the booth at every game. On-field refs who miss a bunch of calls get held out of games or fired, so there's still incentive to call things correctly on the field the first time.

Seriously why is this so hard? Protect your product worth billions and billions by spending like $10 million max per year on an extra booth ref per game. 

Good grief.

ETA: and the average age of a ref has got to be well over 50. The closer I get to 50 I can assure you my eyesight is not getting any better. Wtf NFL!!!!

Isn't that kind of the NCAA setup, official in the booth can decide to have more thorough review of plays and overturn on field ruling. Problem is, even they don't include most penalties like the illegal hands calls on Flowers. 

Basically what you need is review of every play, with the idea being to overturn the most egregious and obvious mistakes, even on "subjective" penalties like holding. Which was what the NFL essentially did with allowing PI review this year. (Teams are starting to understand they probably won't win [something like 1 time in 20+ tries so far] so they're not trying that as often, probably why Patricia didn't challenge last night.)

4 hours ago, stethant said:

Good grief.

Agreed,  they need invest more money into officiating. It has gotten really bad

6 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Agree. Human error with replay available is almost impossible, yet they still get it wrong. Hmmmm????

Seriously.  With replay sometimes.  Idiotic.  They have to get this figured out a little better.  You don't want questions about integrity of the game.  The NFL I believe has been against expanding sports betting due to possible corruption (that has been my understanding anyway). They need to be careful because refereeing can now make the difference in many games more than before.  Once people lose faith in a product it isn't easily restored. 

• Like 1

I don't know guys.  We may be missing an opportunity here.  I've thought about tracking the crews against point spreads and totals for some time now, I just haven't gotten around to it.  Maybe it's time to start. 

At this point, the teams on the field are mostly equal in terms of talent.  With games so close, it's the officiating that now decides games more often than not.  It happened two weeks in a row with Dallas (PI non-call vs Green Bay resulting in an INT during their comeback, Offensive PI call on Dallas against Dallas on the Witten TD, The two phantom hands to the face calls against Detroit which kept two drives alive.  I could go on - I reference the Dallas and Detroit games because I happened to watch those).

The key questions for the degenerates among us...How far does the NFL post in advance which crew is officiating a game, so we can factor that into our plays?  Are there trends we can exploit (e.g.  Home team covers a significant majority of the time with a certain crew?)  Can this information be used to dial in our wagers on the games?  :thinking: 

The NFL is a joke.

It's amazing I can watch a full day of college football on a Saturday starting at 11:00 am and continue until midnight across multiple conferences and can rarely remember a controversy or an abundance of flags. For a whole day!

Then I watch the NFL on Sunday and EVERY GAME has a controversy/abundance of flags. It's a joke. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CowboysDiehard said:

I don't know guys.  We may be missing an opportunity here.  I've thought about tracking the crews against point spreads and totals for some time now, I just haven't gotten around to it.  Maybe it's time to start. 

At this point, the teams on the field are mostly equal in terms of talent.  With games so close, it's the officiating that now decides games more often than not.  It happened two weeks in a row with Dallas (PI non-call vs Green Bay resulting in an INT during their comeback, Offensive PI call on Dallas against Dallas on the Witten TD, The two phantom hands to the face calls against Detroit which kept two drives alive.  I could go on - I reference the Dallas and Detroit games because I happened to watch those).

The key questions for the degenerates among us...How far does the NFL post in advance which crew is officiating a game, so we can factor that into our plays?  Are there trends we can exploit (e.g.  Home team covers a significant majority of the time with a certain crew?)  Can this information be used to dial in our wagers on the games?  :thinking: 

Officiating announcements are made pretty early in the week. I'm on another forum site where somebody posts them weekly in a thread discussing that weeks games, the last few weeks they showed up on Tuesday, here is a link to week 7 officials announcement.

Clete Blakemen's crew who was in GB on Monday night will be in Washington for the 49ers game. 

Not a gambler on games so no clue about the rest of your questions or plans to use this to make better wagers. 

• Thanks 1

I have been a NFL fan since I had eyesight and I am close to calling it quits. There have been a lot of games where refs messed up and that is actually a cool part of both college and pro football. It gives us things to talk about for years. Watching the Monday night game (I am biased a bit) seemed like a purposeful action from the officiating crew. This went way beyond human error. If the NFL cannot fix this, I am taking my time and $$ elsewhere. I have already stopped the NFL Ticket and bought a rugby subscription. Better game to watch right now.

must be nice to be like the Cowboys and Patriots and have those little helpers every week.  Funny thing is they don't need any of it.  Would win anyway, so why the deplorable officiating?  Makes no sense.

Edited by Dcat

16 hours ago, Dcat said:

The Patriots NEVER get called for holding.  For example on that last drive (see photo):  No call.  This is holding.  THis is blatant holding.  THe Patriots do it every game and the refs don't call it. 

holding.jpg

I blame the movement of the umpire to behind the QB, that was always easy to see with the umpire behind the line of scrimmage. Now they are obstructed cannot easily see that stuff. But this was pretty obvious, white undershirt pulled so far away from the jersey. 

But you're right if it was another team it would be called. After the two phantom hands to the face calls against the Lions its pretty clear they're guessing far more often than they actually know something happened. Of course whining to the refs during the game about fake fouls also seems to help (if you're a top brand team).