[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is Melvin Gordon going to be a stud again?

1fastdoc

Anyone with the inside tract in LA?  I only see highlights of the games but it looks like Ekeler has been the go to on passing plays.  I wish LA had traded Gordon since I have both. 

Pouncey and Okung missing from their O-line hurt them bad.  Add in the secondary IR and injuries and no true stud LB and Chargers are looking weaker every week.

No time to throw and/or let plays develop and not trouble staying consistent on stopping other offenses.

They should have traded Gordon for either picks or some O-line help. It worked so far for HOU trade with MIA.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2019 at 6:16 PM, MustOfBeenDrunk said:

He will be just not for the LAC they will trade him next week 

Traded for what?  LA has all the tacos they need. Maybe a chicken salad sandwich and a small coke? Naaaaa. Who'd do that?  

1 minute ago, boltnlava said:

Traded for what?  LA has all the tacos they need. Maybe a chicken salad sandwich and a small coke? Naaaaa. Who'd do that?  

Not sure what all that means.  But I know the Cards are trying out RBs right now.  I doubt they make that kind of move.

29 minutes ago, SNOWBOUND33 said:

Not sure what all that means.  But I know the Cards are trying out RBs right now.  I doubt they make that kind of move.

Really? I mean he is dead weight on the roster and no one will want him. Pretty clear what all that means. 

10 minutes ago, SNOWBOUND33 said:

I just thought it was funny.  He's not dead weight but I doubt anyone will pay what the Chargers will ask.

He's dead weight. What makes you say he is not? He cannot get a yard given a mulligan without fumbling twice! That is not OL play that is RB play. He has a piss poor ypc and cannot do even what he used to do. Which was come into a game and gain 5 yards on 2 carries to get into the endzone. That was what he used to do. Holding out proved what he is. Overvalued, overpaid and disgruntled. Dead weight.  

1 minute ago, boltnlava said:

He's dead weight. What makes you say he is not? He cannot get a yard given a mulligan without fumbling twice! That is not OL play that is RB play. He has a piss poor ypc and cannot do even what he used to do. Which was come into a game and gain 5 yards on 2 carries to get into the endzone. That was what he used to do. Holding out proved what he is. Overvalued, overpaid and disgruntled. Dead weight.  

Holding out did not ruin his career.  It may have ruined most of his season but the Chargers are pretty bad.  I personally wished he sat out the whole season selfishly because I'm killing it in a league that I have Ekeler.

2 minutes ago, SNOWBOUND33 said:

Holding out did not ruin his career.  It may have ruined most of his season but the Chargers are pretty bad.  I personally wished he sat out the whole season selfishly because I'm killing it in a league that I have Ekeler.

ok. you know better. GL to your team and ECKLER. I'm out.

Ekeler was good last year too. I picked up Gordon for cheap when he was holding out assuming that the roles would go back upon his return.  Now I'm stuck starting both of them although if Gordon keeps putting up poor numbers I may just bench him.  I'm hoping he gets traded to a team that will use him as a workhorse.  Not holding my breath though.

• 4 months later...

He'll be an interesting case to be sure. He's had plenty of work in most years, but only once did he ever break 4-yards in a season.  He only had 3.8 YPC last year. He's not a bad back, but he seems to think he is more elite than he's played.  He's been the primary back in 88 NFL games over five seasons and topped 100 rushing yards just nine times. He does it only about twice a year. He gets a high volume of work (in years past anyway) but most of his value has been scoring short TDs thanks to Rivers and the passing game.

He has to be the primary, heavy-load RB to retain his fantasy value because he hasn't been as productive as many other backs - including Ekeler who wasn't even drafted. Gordon was a first-round pick in 2015.

Gordon's career average is 4.0, and in 3 of the 4 years he failed to break 4, he was at 3.8 or 3.9, the other was his rookie season at 3.5.  Not sure where you got 88 NFL games, he's played in 67 total games in 5 seasons according to his PFR stats

You know what is interesting about Ekeler, his Y/A goes down every year, as he gets a bigger role in the game

2017, zero starts, 47 attempts, 5.5 avg

2018, 3 starts, 106 attempts, 5.2 avg

2019, 8 starts, 132 attempts, 4.2 avg

What do his numbers look like with 16 starts and 250 or more carries?  Of course the entire Chargers team is a question mark until they get a QB, Rivers did some things really well including checking down to RBs (both guys have decent receiving stats)

I recall a similar trend with another RB who was the backup, and then moved on to be a starter. Michael Turner, during his time in SD had a 5.5 average (annual #s 5.2 5.9 6.3 4.5) and then in Atlanta that dropped to 4.3 (annual #s 4.5 4.9 4.1 4.5 3.6), a pretty big change.

No doubt Ekeler is pretty dang good, and comes far cheaper than Gordon. 

OK, no idea why I wrote 88 games. Everything else was accurate.

The average of the top ten rushers (yardage) last year was 4.6 YPC. The only one below 4.3 was Joe Mixon (4.1) with more than Gordon has managed in any year. He held out part of last year and no doubt sees himself as one of the elite runners but he's never really been an elite runner. A good scorer and capable receiver - yes. But his main job description (rushing) he's been average at best. I could compare him to any of the other elite rushers and he hasn't measured up. 

Ekeler is a surprise. Your suggestion is that RBs decline when they go from being the #2 to be the #1 elsewhere. Especially when they play behind a full-time back. That is absolutely the rule. I can name a bunch that failed to measure up when they got their shot even though they ran well as the #2. I am not yet convinced that Ekeler slides into the full-time role. I think LAC drafts another RB (assuming Gordon is gone) or gets a free agent. Even last year, Ekeler ran more than 12 times in only two games. His fantasy value spiked thanks mostly to 92 receptions, 993 receiving yards and 8 receiving TDs. He was very effective as a receiver, but I share your suspicions about Ekeler as a rusher.