[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Josh Gordon to IR, now released

Big John

• Big John changed the title to Josh Gordon to IR
3 minutes ago, Big John said:

He is now expected to be waived when healthy

Curious why not just waive him now? Don't they still pay his salary (1/17 per week) if he's on IR. 

Also if he is on IR, when is he going to be healthy enough to cut?

Oh Josh, what a waste of talent...

30 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Curious why not just waive him now? Don't they still pay his salary (1/17 per week) if he's on IR. 

Also if he is on IR, when is he going to be healthy enough to cut?

Oh Josh, what a waste of talent...

If he's waived now any team can sign him. If he's waived after the deadline he has to go through waivers.

2 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Really? What has Sanu done that's soo bad? 

Nothing bad.  But he's never been more than an inconsistent WR2.  He's got good hands, perhaps he'll shine under Belichick.  More than likely he'll have a low floor, modest ceiling.  (I'm still salty that they canned Brown, who is still on my roster.)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 1fastdoc said:

Nothing bad.  But he's never been more than an inconsistent WR2.  He's got good hands, perhaps he'll shine under Belichick.  More than likely he'll have a low floor, modest ceiling.  (I'm still salty that they canned Brown, who is still on my roster.)

Ohhh, I thought you meant he was bringing baggage. I've heard nothing but good things about him.

1 hour ago, 1fastdoc said:

He has GREAT hands! I think in the Patriots' offensive scheme he can be a WR2 in PPR

12 hours ago, 1fastdoc said:

Don't be salty at the Pats cut that worthless AB now. Unless this is a dynasty/keeper league he has no value this year. 

14 hours ago, Big John said:

Teams can't be waived straight up when injured, though he could .be waived/injured giving an injury resolution.

It is a minor injury, so he would be cut sooner rather than later.

Is this because he is on IR list? Or because of any injury? I would hope it is limited to IR, but then why place him on IR if he cannot be released. I guess if he doesn't count against the 53 roster limit who cares. 

Seems odd that teams would not be allowed to release an injured player. If you have some marginal guy you're thinking about releasing, then he gets some injury he has even less value to the team but now he cannot be released?

13 hours ago, Gourdeau said:

If he's waived now any team can sign him. If he's waived after the deadline he has to go through waivers.

I understand that, but it doesn't sound like he's going to be released just to force him to go thru waivers.

Probably some Jedi mind trick BB is using on the rest of the league. 

10 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Don't be salty at the Pats cut that worthless AB now. Unless this is a dynasty/keeper league he has no value this year. 

It's a dynasty league.  IF he plays, he's got a couple good years left in him and, now that he's had a taste of freedom, i.e. unemployment, I'm thinking he'll be the next Larry Fitzgerald, playing into his 70's

• Haha 1

On 10/24/2019 at 8:45 AM, stevegrab said:

Is this because he is on IR list? Or because of any injury? I would hope it is limited to IR, but then why place him on IR if he cannot be released. I guess if he doesn't count against the 53 roster limit who cares. 

Seems odd that teams would not be allowed to release an injured player. If you have some marginal guy you're thinking about releasing, then he gets some injury he has even less value to the team but now he cannot be released?

It's a big component of the CBA.  Teams can't cut a guy in the season he got hurt without a settlement, being on IR doesn't factor in.  If he can't pass a physical they cant cut him. 

A settlement generally happens when the team is going to/does put the player on IR but he thinks he'll be healthy before the team is willing/able to re-activate him.  For example if Gordon is only slightly dinged maybe Seattle would give him a shot in 4 weeks.  Now NEP might not want that to happen so they just hold him and pay him to not play or, as mentioned above, maybe they waive him after the trade deadline which exposes him to waivers when they hope someone lower on the totem pole claims him or, given the threat of just stashing him on IR, maybe they can force a team to give up a pick for him.

Edited by flemingd

1 hour ago, flemingd said:

It's a big component of the CBA.  Teams can't cut a guy in the season he got hurt without a settlement, being on IR doesn't factor in.  If he can't pass a physical they cant cut him. 

A settlement generally happens when the team is going to/does put the player on IR but he thinks he'll be healthy before the team is willing/able to re-activate him.  For example if Gordon is only slightly dinged maybe Seattle would give him a shot in 4 weeks.  Now NEP might not want that to happen so they just hold him and pay him to not play or, as mentioned above, maybe they waive him after the trade deadline which exposes him to waivers when they hope someone lower on the totem pole claims him or, given the threat of just stashing him on IR, maybe they can force a team to give up a pick for him.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, very helpful. 

I read that if Gordon is rady to play in a couple of weeks, NE can release him and he is a FA that is off IR.  I thought IR was either "designated to return" (8 weeks I think) or end of season.  How can they cut him during the IR period? 

1 minute ago, LordOpie said:

You can't cut a player on IR.

If a team is done with a player and If a player is injured, even if it's only expected to be a few weeks, it's legal to put the player on IR, then negotiate an injury settlement. This pays the player less than the remaining amount on his contract, saves the team cash, allows the player to find a new team, and probably get paid more the rest of the year than what he was going to make, not always, but probably for Gordon.

The player doesn't have to accept the injury settlement, especially if he has guaranteed money coming up and the settlement isn't good enough.

This is a buy-low if the Gordon owner doesn't understand the situation.

Interesting, sounds like the injury settlement includes them being released from the team and IR list all in one. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

You can't cut a player on IR.

If a team is done with a player and If a player is injured, even if it's only expected to be a few weeks, it's legal to put the player on IR, then negotiate an injury settlement. This pays the player less than the remaining amount on his contract, saves the team cash, allows the player to find a new team, and probably get paid more the rest of the year than what he was going to make, not always, but probably for Gordon.

The player doesn't have to accept the injury settlement, especially if he has guaranteed money coming up and the settlement isn't good enough.

This is a buy-low if the Gordon owner doesn't understand the situation.

Thank you for 'splaining it.  

Dropped Gordon went he went on IR.  Figured that was it until week 16.  A lot of people did that.  

• Thanks 1

• Big John changed the title to Josh Gordon to IR, now released