[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Most Popular NFL Teams, According to Google

laurensco

In the 1970’s, the Dallas Cowboys earned the title of “America’s Team.”

This summer, Forbes ranked the Cowboys as the most valuable franchise in sports, to nobody’s surprise. Forbes values the Cowboys at $4.8 billion dollars, and Dallas is the publication’s most valuable NFL franchise for the 11th straight season. The team plays in state of the art AT&T Stadium and resides in one of the largest media markets in the country.

Last year, I took a look at the popularity of the Cubs and other Chicago sports teams by using Google’s Keyword Planner and seeing how many times each team was searched in the world’s No. 1 search engine.

I wanted to see how NFL teams stacked up with these metrics, and once again it’s Dallas that comes out on top. And it’s not even close.

Tough crowd, lol.

I watched a documentary on the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders the other night.  It's pretty amazing what those girls went through with physically starving themselves (before semi-healthy diets were understood), very little payment, public judgment and shaming, and no allowed fraternization with the players.  That last part sucks -- they couldn't even position themselves to try to marry rich.  But they were America's girls for America's team, which was simply great marketing.

On 10/29/2019 at 6:24 AM, laurensco said:

In the 1970’s, the Dallas Cowboys earned the title of “America’s Team.”

This summer, Forbes ranked the Cowboys as the most valuable franchise in sports, to nobody’s surprise. Forbes values the Cowboys at $4.8 billion dollars, and Dallas is the publication’s most valuable NFL franchise for the 11th straight season. The team plays in state of the art AT&T Stadium and resides in one of the largest media markets in the country.

Last year, I took a look at the popularity of the Cubs and other Chicago sports teams by using Google’s Keyword Planner and seeing how many times each team was searched in the world’s No. 1 search engine.

I wanted to see how NFL teams stacked up with these metrics, and once again it’s Dallas that comes out on top. And it’s not even close.

Good for you Nerd Boy. Do you feel better about yourself now?

Would like to see the full list results. 
And were the results based on the full team name? Cowboys is generic enough to get a lot of hits if used as a singular word. 49ers would be pretty specific in comparison.

When thinking about "America’s team", I think querying game ticket sites would be a better gauge. Not purchases, but querying to purchase. That eliminates larger stadiums to some degree. If people are looking to spend big bucks to watch a game live, that speaks more volume to me than just a search engine query on a team name.

On 11/2/2019 at 3:54 PM, rajncajn said:

Does being searched more equate with having more fans? I've searched them a few times this year for game schedules and player info and I can't stand the Cowboys.

To me that info is about as useful as "the most liked team on Facebook", based on people being on a team's fan site. I'm not on Facebook, so I have asked other sports fans who are, if they LIKE they Facebook team fan pages, and not a one has said yes.

Cowboys are popular, so are other teams, ratings are also big (not as big as DAL) for Pats, Steelers, Packers. 

Ha-ha, didn't even notice this was a Cowboys fan stroking his own ego