[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Team Goes 0-5 and Trades 2 Best Players

The Motor

Hello everyone,

Have been playing fantasy football for 15 years. The league in question is a 12 team non-PPR league. The trading rules are loose and usually all trades are upheld unless there is collusion.

So to make a long story short there was a guy in our league who went 0-5 and then traded away 2 of his highest picks: Mike Evans and Deondre Hopkins.

So the league manager was not having a good year, but he was still 2-3 when another member went 0-5. The league manager had the lowest points in the league up until this point.

League manager makes a trade with 0-5 team and receives Mike Evans and only gives up Allen Robinson and Rex Burkhead. I complain about the trade at the time a let the league know I think its ridiculous a 0-5 team can trade away the core of his team. I understand trades are upheld unless there is collusion but how is anyone supposed to prove it?  He trades Hopkins to the League managers best friend, for Ju Ju and Royce freeman, this is after Ben got hurt.

The 0-5 team desperately needed running backs. The league manager had fournette, Kamara and Mack. Why would the 0-5 team not grab one of these 3 starting RB's? He took Rex Burkhead and Allen Robinson. Who doesn't at least get Mack and Robinson for Evans?

So now here we are in week 8 and Mike Evans puts up 32 points, and the 0-5 team puts up a total of 75. I don't think he has broke 100 but once. And now instead of being 5-3 I am 4-4 because of this ridiculous trade that I have to believe is collusion, and if its not collusion its tanking.

Please let me know what you think. Is it ok for a team that is 0-5 to trade away his 2 best best players and get flex and bench guys in return?

Since the trade the two beneficiary teams have scored the most points in the league, and the league manager put up 145 against me and I put up 115, which in our league is a lot because it is no PPR. Every week now they are projected over 120 and the rest of league is projected right around 100.

Edited by The Motor
spelling error

I think you should quit the league, start fooling around with the 0-5 owners wife to teach him a lesson, and start a go fund me campaign to get your league dues back.

Sorry, not sure what you are looking for here or if you are just venting. 

Nothing you stated seems to be against to rules or proves collusion.  The trades did not seem to be the best for the 0-5 team, but maybe he was just looking to shake up his lineup to change his luck.

It is his team to manage as he sees fit.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Judge Smales said:

I think you should quit the league, start fooling around with the 0-5 owners wife to teach him a lesson, and start a go fund me campaign to get your league dues back.

Sorry, not sure what you are looking for here or if you are just venting. 

Nothing you stated seems to be against to rules or proves collusion.  The trades did not seem to be the best for the 0-5 team, but maybe he was just looking to shake up his lineup to change his luck.

It is his team to manage as he sees fit.

This.

Unless there are rules for veto by other owners there is not much you can do.

- tough out the year and then find new league

- start playing the same game with other bottom teams

- quit now

Lopsided trade for sure.  If the 0-5 owner got a RB that would make it more like a shake up, but Burkhead waiver fodder.

• Like 1

Exactly thats what we all said at the time. The guy is in desperate need of a RB and he trades evans for robinson and burkehead? He could have got Mack and robinson that makes sense.  The trade he made doesn't help his team.  He didn't get a starting RB.  

I get it, your 0-5 and you want to shake it up.  You need a RB, why would you trade your 2 best players and end up with freeman and burkhead?  He was hurt!!!  The other guy is in a timeshare.

I have been playing fantasy football a long time, and it has always been against the rules to firesale your team if you don't have a chance to make the playoffs.  ALWAYS.

It would be completely different if his season wasn't practically over. How can we be assured the league manager didn't tell the 0-5 team he didn't have to pay his entry anymore.  How are we supposed to know that didn't happen?

Is it a coincidence he also traded Hopkins to our league managers friend, and he is the league manager in another league our league manager is in?

How are we not supposed to think they both made deals so he didnt have to pay his entry?

Edited by The Motor

32 minutes ago, The Motor said:

How are we not supposed to think they both made deals so he didnt have to pay his entry?

You can't.  Unless League manager shows everyone's receipt of payment.

There needs to be a rule that you are paid up full before the draft.  If no rules exists, then you get your situation.  It is speculation of he paid or not.  No sense in thinking the worse.  It happened already.

Venting is fine, but state that.  Otherwise you will get responses like you read already.

Hopefully you can get you money back and bounce from that league.

• Like 1

True.  I am not looking for things to do to get my money back (I doubt anyone paid yet we always pay later its never been a big deal), just making sure I am not losing my mind here and this is the below the etiquette of the average league manager.  Even if it is not collusion  If I was the manager, I wouldn't take advantage of some guy that is 0-5 and throw it in other peoples face while telling them their WR suck as I beat them in a pivotal game.  Of course my receivers suck, I didn't get a top 3 WR for 2 of my bench players.

And of course this week they are both projected to score the most (120's) and the 0-5 team (which is now 1-7) is projected to score the worst (75).  

This has thrown off the entire balance of the league and has ruined the integrity, it's sad too because it is a very competitive league.  There used to be trade vetoes and that didn't work, then we got rid of vetoes and it was fine for a while.  Then every year these trades have got progressively worse and this year was the last straw for me.  The guy was 0-5 and that just makes it unacceptable to me.  If the guy was still competitive, that trade would have never been made, and that is the point where I think it crosses the line and leagues need to have some type of rule saying people can't firesale their team once they are near out of the playoffs.

The most ironic part of all this, is that the league manager was complaining to me about the guy who got Hopkins who is his league manager in another league.  Saying that this guy gets all these unfair trades, then he turns right around and does it in his own league.

I might have one last trick up my sleeve though everyone is all about "trading whoever you want" when they are the beneficiary of a trade, lets see if they keep their word when they are not a benefactor.

:)  Will update you when it plays out.

Edited by The Motor

This is why I like multiple keeper or dynasty leagues with committed individuals.  

Just a side note though, both Evans and Hopkins have been under-performing until recently.  JuJu and Robinson were semi-reasonable trades.  Burkhead and Freeman make no sense though.

Edit: just read your last post.  I like winning but when there is such a huge difference in points/records such that a couple teams are completely SOL mid season it certainly reduces the enjoyment.  Find a good dynasty or keeper league and this issue won't happen.  They guy who inherited a train wreck team this year has been working to pick up young potential players and will likely dominate in 1-2 years.  

Edited by 1fastdoc
  • Like 1

I would agree but Ju Ju has not been playing well, he only had a good game last night because they played Miami.  I mean, remember what the ravens did to them and they haven't done that to anyone else.

Also keep in mind this was back in week 5, so at that point you're still trying to get ADP value.  Hopkins went #5 man, he was projected top 5 overall and Big Ben had just got hurt.  So at the time honestly I thought the Hopkins trade was more egregious.

Honestly I just point the 2 separate trades out to mention that this guy was 0-5 and got rid of of 2 of his top 3 picks and didn't even get a starting RB.  And both beneficiary teams had plenty of running backs.  Our league is RB heavy because of the no PPR, you have to have 5-6 RB's to go all the way, thats why my receivers suck and I am loaded at RB.  If I get to add a top WR to my team and not have to give a RB, I am going to be hard beat.

So this 0-5 team drafted a primarily WR team, and it didn't work out for him.  So he trades his WR away but does not get a RB?  RB are worth a lot more in a non-PPR, I am sure you know this just wanted to point out he traded 2 of his top 3 picks and did not even get a starting RB.  It makes no sense, and coincidently the beneficiary teams didn't lose anything.

Think about having Ju Ju in your lineup, and you have freeman riding the pine.  Big ben gets hurt, are you going to trade Ju Ju for Hopkins basically straight up?  Cause thats what your doing, freeman is a bench RB you stash him just in case someone gets hurt.  This guy has Zeke, Carson and Tevin Coleman on his team.  Freeman is an after thought.  

Edited by The Motor

Ok just proposed a trade to a guy I know in the league that is also 4-4 but also has the second highest points.  I need to "shake things up" so I think getting ekeler, the PRK 4, and Tyler Murray cause Mahommes is hurt will really boost my team.

Let me know what you guys think.  They have not approved the trade yet.

O5db8693939e9b_ScreenShot2019-10-29at12_28_48PM.thumb.png.880f0d0cd19a6270f7a199bdd258e0aa.png

3 hours ago, The Motor said:

Ok just proposed a trade to a guy I know in the league that is also 4-4 but also has the second highest points.  I need to "shake things up" so I think getting ekeler, the PRK 4, and Tyler Murray cause Mahommes is hurt will really boost my team.

Let me know what you guys think.  They have not approved the trade yet.

O5db8693939e9b_ScreenShot2019-10-29at12_28_48PM.thumb.png.880f0d0cd19a6270f7a199bdd258e0aa.png

You get or give Barkely?

Im giving Barkley.

The trade is on hold for now lol He goes "I don't know whether or not to push the trade through and let it ride or delete you both."

I knew it would be different if he wasn't getting someone out of the deal.

Edited by The Motor

that is the whole point of the trade though :) 

After crying about it all day he finally pushed it through, after I told him that I wasn't paying if he vetoed the trade.  

Now my friends team is stacked he has:

5db8c1e75d8bc_ScreenShot2019-10-29at6_48_36PM.thumb.png.5e6ac0a8e7c23eb1a49a024a286d70fe.png

Edited by The Motor

I thought a lot about this trade.  It is a trade that makes my friends team as competitive as the 2 cheaters, and it is a trade that cannot be vetoed based on rules.  But we all know I am getting the manure end of the trade, even though numbers wise its a halfway fair deal.  Kind of like getting evans for rob and burkehead just because evans had a few bad games :)

And now this week they are playing my buddy, so let's see how they like it, I am just trying to "shake things up" because the league has 5 teams at 4-4 :) 

Edited by The Motor

Colluded?  I offered him a trade he accepted.  I didn't talk to him about it before.  Like you guys said, there is nothing I can do about them cheating.  BUT I can protest, and this is my way of doing so.

BTW nothing about this is fake.  We have been playing in this league for 15 years.  The trophy has been going around since 2006.  It is extremely competitive and close every year.  The guy that tanked his team has won 2-3 times.  So he tried a new strategy this year, got burned, and then tanked his team.  Total BS.

It is not about the money for me, it is about the integrity of the league and letting this guy know what he did was wrong and he ruined the league.  YOU CANT FIRESALE YOUR TEAM if you are pretty much out of the playoffs.  Been that way since the beginning.  We are not talking about a trade.  The guy got rid of his 2 best players. Getting rid of your best players never makes you better.  Just imagine if he had that 43 points from evans and hopkins this week  He would have scored 100 not 75.  And the beneficiary would have scored 115 not 143.  And the guy had ekeelr!!!  He traded him too, and traded Hooper.  He LITERALLY had a firesale on his team week 5.  Not cool.  It is extremely abrnomal to score 143 in our league, you pretty much cant do it unless you rip someone off.  If you can score 100 points in our league you will win most days. 

Maybe now that this happened they will fix it for next year.

Edited by The Motor

Hmm. I would have approached it differently.  Since your league manager has no integrity, I'd find a different league.

In the meantime, since you're going to now tank, you might as well obtain and start Dalton, Reed, AB, Marquis Lee, Ito Smith, etc

• Like 1

Well I am not tanking really.  My team is still ok.  I got mahommes, ingram, ekeler and singletary, Lativius but my WR do suck lol  MVS, Corey Davis, DJ Moore.  Those are the kind of receivers you get when you go RB heavy in the draft.  So when you have some guy that gives up nothing to get Mike Evans it def irritates you.  

PS thats what I mean, I hold Latavius all year knowing I am playing the LM late in the year, hoping Kamara would be out.  What do you know the week we play each other Kamara is out and Latavius puts up 27 points....... but I still lose, all cause he took advantage of some guy in a trade that had a firesale on his team.  

So I am not going to tank, but they are going to have a hard time beating RR now, he was also the champ last year.  Same thing last year, LM team is average, he makes a crazy trade, gets the #1 seed then loses to RR that had to win out lol

So thats why this is the perfect Karma for them.  But I won't tank, just cause they didn't.  

Edited by The Motor

Ok.

Two ways to win: work hard/play hard and kick ass or game the system.  The latter may get you or RR a "W" but there's no satisfaction in that.  Like I said above, find a dynasty league or a multi-keeper league where this just doesn't happen.

• Like 1