[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Spouse/Family in money league

MonsterBall25

Hey all,

So I am in a money league. We call it the friends and family league. Because the commish has friends and family. He has made some interesting trades... typically I am not a vetoer. Typically in money leagues you have 10-12 serious minded fantasy goers that valuate players differently even though some of the trades might be a little lopsided in my opinion I can respect someone for taking advantage of a smart dumb person in fantasy. BUT The commish has mad the following trades... traded earlier in the year with his sister... Josh Gordon for George Kittle... to me that is a little lopsided. When Josh Gordon goes on the IR he makes her believe that Josh Gordon will be out of the year and convinces her to trade him back for Adrian Peterson.... so at the end of the day he has traded Adrian Peterson for George Kittle... to his sister who admittedly knows nothing about fantasy football. He then convinced his bother-in-law to trade him Drew Brees two weeks into his injury for a struggling Phillip Rivers. He has now just traded with his wife... this is a little bit more palletable... JuJu and Emmanual Sanders.... for T Boyd and Derick Henry... based on ranking in our league he is trading his wife the 51 and 53rd ranked player for the 86 and 84 ranked players... he is getting the short end by the rankings... but here is where it gets interesting is HE has ZERO need for a WR and his wife has a really BIG need at RB. He benefits zero, she benefits greatly because her best RB is Matt Brieda.. to me its obvious this trade is only about making her team better. To me he has taken advantage of his sister and now is trading with his wife to make her team better. its a money league... with a spouse the entry fee would be coming from the same account (I assume) and the winnings would benefit both... to me this is just them trying to increase their odds by colluding to give one team a boost. Thoughts?

We have 3 couples in my keeper league.

The spouses are very competitive especially when they have to play each other.

If you have Veto rules and you do not agree with the trade value/lopsided then you should use your right and protest to see where this goes.  Since the league is "Friends & Family" then it should not be to big of a deal to call each other out on B.S.

You mentioned that the trades were earlier in the year so some convincing suggestions along with some facts look like what got the trade accepted.  If an owner has no clue what FFL is then other owners, especially "Friends & Family" should let her know to lean on them for advice before the season started.  If she accepted to play regardless of experience then you live with the bumps that go with that.

In my league the Co-Commish reviews/approves any trades involving the Commish.  This helps keep some check/balance in the league.

No way for you to prove any colluding unless Wife and Sister happen to mention it.  Then you got a bigger issue above just some questionable trades.  You got family drama. 

Well I am the brother. My sister admitted she was dooped into thinking Gordon was done for the year by my brother... she said she was also dooped into thinking Kittle was just another TE and was not that special. I guess I made the mistake of thinking we could have a fair money league that involved spouses and friends and family.

well hopefully you can convince the less experienced owners on at least checking stats/point totals.  Maybe consulting others before making a trade.

Money always changes perspective on what could be simple decisions.

good luck to you.  

I think the bigger issue is the disparity in skill levels.  The novice and naive get screwed by the predators and everyone in the middle, stays in the middle.  People eventually lose interest and the league dissolves.

On the family side, my son is 13 and in our dynasty league.  Making it more complicated is the fact that I'm the commissioner.  Fortunately we're both pathologically competitive and really never trade with each other.  I made the mistake of telling him who I was targeting one night and the ruthless little SOB woke up before me to snag him after the waivers went through.  My job as commish is to keep everything as fair as possible.  If a player screws another one over on a trade, in the long run it's going to hurt the integrity of the league and I'll intervene.  The goal is to keep it enjoyable for years to come, not win a grand by screwing your friends over.  

The husband/wife collusion is a bigger problem.  Since you're his brother, it's your duty to deal with that behavior.  I'd taser him and zip tie him to a chair.  Then, if he refuses to undo the trade, torture him until he gives up the password so you can do it.  Let me know if you need any ideas.

Edited by 1fastdoc