[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tie Breakers

Gourdeau

4 hours ago, Judge Smales said:

We have never had a tie since we went to fractional points.

This - best way.  We never had a tie since.

It does not have to be too crazy.

Take your yards (rush, rec, return).  Say you 1 point for every ten yards.  Change to .1 for every 1 yard.

We still have this in the rules if a tie still happens with the fractional scoring.  You can apply to regular season and playoffs.

League Playoffs for all playoff games will be:

1) Total score of all bench players.

2) An advantage of .5 will be given to the home team to determine the winner. Home team is determined as the higher seeded team.

Which team is the higher seeded team is determined as follows: 1) Overall Record 2) Head-Head Match-up. 3) Conference Record 4) Overall points score 5) Non-conference Record. 

What's the argument against the possibility of a tie during the regular season?

If the point of FF is to try and figure out the best starting lineup each week, one could argue it's better to have a tie than having some random attribute that has nothing to do with that point determine the outcome. I've never been a fan of using bench points as you are basically rewarding the owner that made the poorer decisions with their lineup, using highest average score is rewarding someone for something that has absolutely nothing to do with that week's matchup, and while at least the options that Smales list are at least related to the current week, it's still very arbitrary and rewards a particular subset of scoring.

For playoffs, yes, rules should be in place, and in that case I tend to lean towards ties going to the higher seed as the reward for the better regular season performance, but for regular season games, I've yet to see a truly rational argument for a need to eliminate ties.

• Like 1

We avoiding doing fractional points for a long time, changed this year, no ties and a few games won by less than a point. Some of stats geeks (several of us are software engineers) looked at close games early in the season and in some cases the loser would win without fractions.

Prior to this change we accepted ties in regular season and had some loose plan for handling one in playoffs. 

Otherwise I'd suggest highest scoring bench player, or the olds school designate a bench player as your tie breaker. I don't like total bench points and will provide reasons if asked.