[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A 17-game regular season? It could happen.

Wolverines Fan

Every year team/players say injury, but then the starter hardly play during preseason anyways.  For sure not playing the last preseason game.

All teams go to camp early enough OTA, etc...

Teams just have to move up their timeline on evaluations, CBA to agree to change roster cut days and/or amount of players.

It is doable if all involved get on the same page.

Owners and player get more money will stadium income, TV income, game checks.

I do not know if players get paid for preseason.

Problem with adding another game is that is another week, which leaves 3 options, none of which are going to be great

- start the season a week earlier, on Labor Day weekend which used to be the norm. NFL moved away from that because ratings were low, especially now with the big Kickoff game on Thursday they want lots of eyes, not people on the road on vacation

- eliminate the off week between conf champ games and SB - even less likely, the NFL loves the 2 weeks of hype, the media circus etc

- move the SB a week later, second Sunday in February - believe that creates some headaches for their TV partners who have coverage of some awards show that weekend

I agree we no longer need 4 pre-season games, fewer and fewer teams play even young players significant time, often to the detriment of that teams ability to play early in the season (Browns have show that in spades). 

Also what do you do about home games? Does each team get 9 every other year? Or do they expand neutral site games to include one for each team and use those for London, Mexico City, Germany, Moscow, Honk Kong, Mars? Instead of robbing fans of home games every year?

I know more reak games = more money (especially TV revenue), so that may convince both sides. Also realize that the next CBA comes about the same time as the TV contracts come up for renewal, so both sides (labor and management) will be trying to work out the details before then so they can get the broadcasters to bid more $$$.

PS  There has been talk about this for the past few years, much like the talk of an NFL team returning to LA, which took a coupe decades. Not saying it won't or cannot happen, just unlikely at this time. 

I think that the move towards a 17 game season, which I hate, is being done in relation to the new CBA they are working on. Adding a game means more money for everyone, so they can increase what the players get without taking much away from the owners. I think it has real legs because it generates more money - both the players and owners like that. Most casual fans likely are not against it. Not sure what it would do to season ticket costs though.

11 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Just loose the pre-season games and expand roster limits. The pre-season is useless anymore. 

Not entirely worthless, there's money involved both from people attending games and from broadcasting them. And there is some player development, 2 would be plenty though. I was a season ticket holder for years and hated paying for them, and often used the tickets to take a more casual fan that never attended a game (often a "free ticket for a couple beers/dinner deal"). 

2 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Not entirely worthless, there's money involved both from people attending games and from broadcasting them. And there is some player development, 2 would be plenty though. I was a season ticket holder for years and hated paying for them, and often used the tickets to take a more casual fan that never attended a game (often a "free ticket for a couple beers/dinner deal"). 

Agree, it's the money that's fueling the pre-season. You can tell just as much from an inner squad practice as you can a worthless pre-season game against Division 2 rejects. 

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

Every team gets a game in another country?

I could see that as an option.

IF they try it for a year or two and it is received well, the next CBA will probably work in more games and/or teams.

More money and higher salaries will get them to move forward, eventually.  NFL expanding their brand is a high priority.

It many not happen anytime soon, but I could picture it.

• Thanks 1