[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy Drama week 10 MNF

Fantac_k_i_n_g

So we had a bit of an issue in the league I play and Commish in.

An owner on Monday morning 10am est

Picked up Hollister Te Sea. He subsequently dropped Ty Montgomery who had just played 24 hrs earlier.

I'm looking to get peoples opinion on this type of transaction. 

The way I have always played FF. If you add a player in the Monday night game after Sunday's games the only drop would be another player in that game since all but 2 teams have left to play.

How does everyone play? Looking to get a poll.

1 hour ago, Shaft said:

Players should get locked after their games have been played OR lock all players at 1:00 pm, Sunday.

Exactly.

League settings should have prevented this.  Unless it was set to other option.

If you do not have separate written/posted rules then it is hard for you to argue.

If it had been the normal for all past seasons, but finally exposed then you have some recourse to correct it.

I hate owners that always try to game the system and bend away from intent.  Granted rules need to be clear, but sometimes (at least fantasy) you want rules to be simple and not a contract to read.

6 minutes ago, XFlash said:

If you do not have separate written/posted rules then it is hard for you to argue.

If it had been the normal for all past seasons, but finally exposed then you have some recourse to correct it.

I hate owners that always try to game the system and bend away from intent.  Granted rules need to be clear, but sometimes (at least fantasy) you want rules to be simple and not a contract to read.

We have always played under the rule that no player shall be involved in a transaction if he has played their game already during the week.  I'm just trying to understand the owners argument. And I really can't.

I have a different opinion on this but I’m not sure the rules can be separated. I don’t see the problem with dropping a guy that played Sunday if he wasn’t in your lineup. My wife ran into a problem like this a couple weeks ago. Sterling Shepard was playing Monday night and all indications were that he was set to play. Then after rosters locked he was ruled out. She had guys on her bench that she would have dropped to grab someone to replace Shepard in her lineup but couldn’t. 

but like I said I don’t know if the settings can separate dropping a player that has played as long as he was on your bench and not in your lineup.

maybe I’m missing something and someone can enlighten me. But if a guy played Sunday and he was on someone’s bench, why would anyone care if he wanted a to drop him and grab somebody to play Sunday or Monday night as long as they have an open roster spot to play that person?

Edited by Finn5033

Hmm, I commish our league and never thought about this issue.  

On Monday I picked up Hollister as well. I dropped Lazard, who played Monday but was on my bench.  I guess because he was on the bench Yahoo allowed it.  

Can an NFL team not trade away a player on a Monday?  We simply try to mimic reality as best as possible.

10 minutes ago, 1fastdoc said:

On Monday I picked up Hollister as well. I dropped Lazard, who played Monday but was on my bench.  I guess because he was on the bench Yahoo allowed it.  

Can an NFL team not trade away a player on a Monday?  We simply try to mimic reality as best as possible.

I'm with you doc..I throw my hands up with this because I have 11 owners that see it as i do. And 1 that believes yahoo does it for a reason. And I'm trying to be fair and understand. I understand Finn and his wifes side and reason too.  

Does a move like this taint the waiver system that is set up? Imagine if every one dropped player a on bench after they played. I really don't know. Part of me wants to get it, I guess I'm so stuck in my ways. I wish yahoo allowed me to lock players.

I mean I get if its a bench player who cares if they are in a transaction.

Just trying to get opinions on it. 

3 hours ago, Finn5033 said:

I have a different opinion on this but I’m not sure the rules can be separated. I don’t see the problem with dropping a guy that played Sunday if he wasn’t in your lineup. My wife ran into a problem like this a couple weeks ago. Sterling Shepard was playing Monday night and all indications were that he was set to play. Then after rosters locked he was ruled out. She had guys on her bench that she would have dropped to grab someone to replace Shepard in her lineup but couldn’t. 

but like I said I don’t know if the settings can separate dropping a player that has played as long as he was on your bench and not in your lineup.

maybe I’m missing something and someone can enlighten me. But if a guy played Sunday and he was on someone’s bench, why would anyone care if he wanted a to drop him and grab somebody to play Sunday or Monday night as long as they have an open roster spot to play that person?

It is simple you're basically getting away with an extra person your roster, they were there until their game was played, then you can cut them and add another.  

I'd like to know what site this league is run on, because I've never seen that allowed or a setting that would allow it,

I also hate people who try to game the rules.

Player status (bench or active, on a team or free agent) locks when their game starts. You cannot add a guy who's game has started anymore than you can bench them or activate them. 

If you have a guy that is on MNF, and want to drop to add another player on MNF, and roster settings (if there are limits per position) allow that is fine. Anything else the most basic of league softwares would never allow. 

Ahhh Yahoo the free crap of fantasy football. You get what you pay for. The only owner the league who thinks it is ok benefits from it. I'd say they are SOL and anybody with common sense would know this is gaming a loophole that should not exist. Why do people lose all sense of decency when playing fantasy football. Even with $500 or more as the possible champions share, its just amazing. Thank God I play with adults who don't try this crap.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 1fastdoc said:

An NFL player who is playing on a Thursday cannot be traded to another team and play on Sat/Sun/Mon of those same weeks games. 

As I posted, status of a player is (or should be) locked once their game starts, that includes being on a roster, or being active. Otherwise I can add a bunch of guys who play Thursday, then if on my bench be allowed to drop them on Friday and replace with somebody else, making my roster of possible players much higher than the actual limit.

3 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

An NFL player who is playing on a Thursday cannot be traded to another team and play on Sat/Sun/Mon of those same weeks games. 

As I posted, status of a player is (or should be) locked once their game starts, that includes being on a roster, or being active. Otherwise I can add a bunch of guys who play Thursday, then if on my bench be allowed to drop them on Friday and replace with somebody else, making my roster of possible players much higher than the actual limit.

I tend to agree with most here including you on various issues.  I wonder if I'm just not understanding the original concern and if my add/drop is the same issue.  

If Ty Montgomery was in the line up I don't think Yahoo allows the drop (but I'm not sure on that).  But if he wasn't played in FF it apparently frees him up to be dropped.  

I know that when I decided to pick up Hollister I was surprised I could drop Lazard.  Didn't see any issue with dropping someone though.  If someone dropped Lamar Jackson Monday morning, certainly nobody else would complain.  He'd still be on waivers.  I don't see how the drop gives an advantage in either case.

1 hour ago, 1fastdoc said:

I tend to agree with most here including you on various issues.  I wonder if I'm just not understanding the original concern and if my add/drop is the same issue.  

If Ty Montgomery was in the line up I don't think Yahoo allows the drop (but I'm not sure on that).  But if he wasn't played in FF it apparently frees him up to be dropped.  

I know that when I decided to pick up Hollister I was surprised I could drop Lazard.  Didn't see any issue with dropping someone though.  If someone dropped Lamar Jackson Monday morning, certainly nobody else would complain.  He'd still be on waivers.  I don't see how the drop gives an advantage in either case.

What Monday was this, and when on Monday?  I'm assuming it was week 10 that just completed with SEA-SF game on MNF. Jacob Hollister is a TE for SEA, he played on MNF, Cody Holister is a WR for TEN, he played on Sunday, Lazard is WR for GB they also played Sunday.  

Your original post said both guys played on Monday and if you made a move to add one and drop the other before the MNF game kicked off that is a legit move. But Lazard didn't play Monday, and the last time he did it was against the Lions. So your scenario seems impossible.

As for the advantage, dropping a player who already played, means you had the option to use that player, but didn't giving you an extra player to select from during that weeks games. It would be the like the roster limit not being enforced. I cannot see any way that a player whose game already occurred should be allowed to be dropped. Players on bye or not on an NFL roster would be different, they didn't play a game that week so they have no value to you.

Not sure if that makes it more clear, or if I'm totally missing something (bronchitis and my meds may have me messed up). 

Regarding Lazard I meant Sunday, mis-typed it.  It was this past week (10) and I did it Monday morning at 6am.  I had no intention of playing Hollister but given how bad the TE position is now, he's a backup to Henry and nobody else can get him.

I can see your point, especially if we keep a small bench.  In our league the bench is 12 deep plus an IR spot so if someone gets dropped they're usually a player that nobody else wants either and almost always someone that was being held as a future prospect, like Lazard.  So far it's not been an issue and we're all friends and competitive so cheating and collusion really aren't concerns.  

I didn't even think my actions could be thought of as gaming until this post.  But again, we're dropping people that wouldn't typically be played anyway.

50 minutes ago, 1fastdoc said:

Regarding Lazard I meant Sunday, mis-typed it.  It was this past week (10) and I did it Monday morning at 6am.  I had no intention of playing Hollister but given how bad the TE position is now, he's a backup to Henry and nobody else can get him.

I can see your point, especially if we keep a small bench.  In our league the bench is 12 deep plus an IR spot so if someone gets dropped they're usually a player that nobody else wants either and almost always someone that was being held as a future prospect, like Lazard.  So far it's not been an issue and we're all friends and competitive so cheating and collusion really aren't concerns.  

I didn't even think my actions could be thought of as gaming until this post.  But again, we're dropping people that wouldn't typically be played anyway.

Thanks for the clarification. We have deep bench, start 9 and 9 reserves, no limits on roster by position. But many times players are dropped that have value to somebody. For example the Zeurlein owner added Folk to cover his bye week 10 when NE signed him, then dropped Folk this week. The Pats kicker has definite value, and my only kicker is Myers who has a bye, so I've made the waiver claim.

I'm not saying you did anything wrong just surprised any fantasy site would allow it. There really is no parallel in the NFL,since the entire roster plays in one game.