[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bad calls for Sunday games

XFlash

10 hours ago, millworkguy said:

Idk, the game happens in real time, not in replay,  lmk how you feel when every play takes 3-5 minutes because they want to review the actions of all 22 guys on the field before making a ruling.   Life isnt perfect,  football isnt perfect,  and the refs aren't perfect.   Not sure I really enjoy the current product,  not sold that more replay, and the cost to create a perfectly called game will be better.

Agree, BUT each year the officiating gets worse.  Then you add the new rule(s) that are suppose to help, but only make it worse.

You do not hear of this many bad calls at the collegiate level. 

Not sure when the officiating shifted.  I think when a bunch of the old timer refs retired, but the refs at NFL level has a good level of experience.  It must be the pressure (take your pick or combo)

- pressure to not mess up an obvious call

- pressure to call a game tight or not (let them play through or not) consistency

- pressure from NFL to lean favor to a team (we all think that to some level)

I can't figure it out.  They finally reverse a offensive PI yesterday during the NOS game, but there were many previous offensive PI reviews that were much clear and obvious and no reversal.  Either PI is there or it is not.  Review should be easier than making it harder.

The tripping calls?  3 in the NEP game.  Those calls were nowhere near close.

Agree that review slow game down, but the current rule on PI was to help. Lack of enforcement even after review is hurting.  Why even have the rule.  NFL should have just said NY can make a call anytime it is plain and obvious (NOS PI last year).  No need for refs to review.  NY could review quickly as they always do and make a ruling ONLY if blatantly wrong. 

I enjoy watching football, even if there are some bad or close calls, but the product over the last decade has been progressively bad and ruining game integrity.  Unfortunately we are stuck as fans.  There will have to be continued bad officiating especially in playoff/SB games in order for some drastic changes (hopefully).  Those that attend games will always attend.  Many teams have waiting lists.

I know there have been other posts about how NFL can make it better.

- full time refs (not sure if that happened already

- younger or at least refs that are in shape to run

- refs with passing eye exams every year

- year round training for refs (camps, tape review, hell VR training on past game tapes

- performance tied to compensation 

7 hours ago, XFlash said:

Agree, BUT each year the officiating gets worse.  Then you add the new rule(s) that are suppose to help, but only make it worse.

You do not hear of this many bad calls at the collegiate level. 

Not sure when the officiating shifted.  I think when a bunch of the old timer refs retired, but the refs at NFL level has a good level of experience.  It must be the pressure (take your pick or combo)

- pressure to not mess up an obvious call

- pressure to call a game tight or not (let them play through or not) consistency

- pressure from NFL to lean favor to a team (we all think that to some level)

I can't figure it out.  They finally reverse a offensive PI yesterday during the NOS game, but there were many previous offensive PI reviews that were much clear and obvious and no reversal.  Either PI is there or it is not.  Review should be easier than making it harder.

The tripping calls?  3 in the NEP game.  Those calls were nowhere near close.

Agree that review slow game down, but the current rule on PI was to help. Lack of enforcement even after review is hurting.  Why even have the rule.  NFL should have just said NY can make a call anytime it is plain and obvious (NOS PI last year).  No need for refs to review.  NY could review quickly as they always do and make a ruling ONLY if blatantly wrong. 

I enjoy watching football, even if there are some bad or close calls, but the product over the last decade has been progressively bad and ruining game integrity.  Unfortunately we are stuck as fans.  There will have to be continued bad officiating especially in playoff/SB games in order for some drastic changes (hopefully).  Those that attend games will always attend.  Many teams have waiting lists.

I know there have been other posts about how NFL can make it better.

- full time refs (not sure if that happened already

- younger or at least refs that are in shape to run

- refs with passing eye exams every year

- year round training for refs (camps, tape review, hell VR training on past game tapes

- performance tied to compensation 

The NFL has not and probably never will change to full time refs, if by full time you mean that is their only job or even that is what they do all week, not just a few days a week. Most of them have careers in various professions.

The product on the field is suffering, fans are getting more frustrated, nobody (including broadcasters their former NFL official "experts", coaches, players and fans) know what to expect on a replay anymore. After a couple years of not knowing what a catch is now we have not knowing what is PI, or hands to the face, or tripping, or any other number of phantom or obvious missed calls. 

Ever since those phantom hands to the face calls that robbed the Lions in the game against GB, I've watched players motions during a game and how often they get some phantom call because "it looks like the penalty happened' .

2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

I've watched players motions during a game and how often they get some phantom call because "it looks like the penalty happened' .

Exactly!  Well stated on just about any of the horrible calls to date.

I really hope it does not get worse.  I may settle for watching replays then next day.  I believe NFL network or other service shows shorter (a little more than just highlights) version of rebroadcast.  I have to stay up very late over here just to watch the game real time.  Quality sleep may soon give in instead of watching the game.

Maybe it will be lucky enough to not show phantom calls.

On 2019-11-25 at 3:51 PM, stevegrab said:

The NFL has not and probably never will change to full time refs, if by full time you mean that is their only job or even that is what they do all week, not just a few days a week. Most of them have careers in various professions.

Per nfl.com 24 refs are full time as of 2018, however at $205,000 per year, even if they are part time, I doubt they are working at much the rest of the time

Sorry, then I read that they went back to part time refs in July of 2019, but like I said above, after making 200K as a ref, are you really looking for other part time work at 20 bucks an hour?

Edited by millworkguy

I saw this tweet posted on the Saints board today. To anybody who watches all the Saints games, this comes as no surprise. But remember, this isn't about whether or not it's a valid penalty. It's about calling penalties equally.