[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The NFL needs to abolish the ability to challenge PI

keggerz

If the NFL isn't actually going to overturn calls when they are as blatant as the PI on Hopkins below then they just need to revoke the ability to make PI challenges.

Humphrey doesn't just get there early but grabs him with the left hand and turns him too. 

Inexcusable and fwiw, I'm not a Watson or Hopkins owner and I'm not playing against the Ravens or Texans D.

• Thanks 2

Yea it’s a judgement call it should be like in Baseball they have a similar rule where you can’t challenge judgement calls. I mean everyone going to see different things when slowed down frame by frame or see the same things 🤷🏽‍♂️ 

1 minute ago, Comm1 said:

Yea it’s a judgement call it should be like in Baseball they have a similar rule where you can’t challenge judgement calls. I mean everyone going to see different things when slowed down frame by frame or see the same things 🤷🏽‍♂️ 

I'm one of the most outspoken people you find about slo-mo but this play stands on it's own without slo-mo. It was clear as day to everyone except the NFL. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, keggerz said:

I'm one of the most outspoken people you find about slo-mo but this play stands on it's own without slo-mo. It was clear as day to everyone except the NFL. 

It definitely was but that’s the thing it can be some times and then it can’t. It’s a hard rule that’s for sure. There just needs accountability. There is none. Packers Lions for example. They need to be fined suspended something 

1 hour ago, Comm1 said:

It definitely was but that’s the thing it can be some times and then it can’t. It’s a hard rule that’s for sure. There just needs accountability. There is none. Packers Lions for example. They need to be fined suspended something 

Those phantom hands to face penalties were beyond bad. The league says the officials are held accountable, of course they cannot give us details.  :rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

Sherman just mugged Kirk on a no call near the goal line.  It's going in review.

This one has to be overturned....right?

[aldavis] they just have in for the 9ers [/aldavis]

no. i am not serious.  sherman mugged him.  league just needs to be consistent. 

7 hours ago, keggerz said:

So here's the question - and I agree with you entirely that it was obvious defensive PI: what would the NFL have done if this was a playoff game?

Wasn't this the type of egregious no-call that the new rule was designed to address? If this was a playoff game and the league does nothing then what in the wide wide world of sports has really changed after the Saints game?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stethant said:

So here's the question - and I agree with you entirely that it was obvious defensive PI: what would the NFL have done if this was a playoff game?

Wasn't this the type of egregious no-call that the new rule was designed to address? If this was a playoff game and the league does nothing then what in the wide wide world of sports has really changed after the Saints game?

Nothing, the clueless blind people at NFL HQ in NY will get to decide who wins games. 

28 minutes ago, stethant said:

Nothing has changed other than the NFL figured out how to make coaches waste their challenges. 

• Haha 1

It's a mess.  One, they have made it clear that they're not overturning anything unless it's beyond blatant.  As in the WR must be tackled and on the ground before the ball arrives, in order for them to overturn it. 

Two, they're reviewing everything on plays that require a review, which means that, in some cases, they're "finding" PI in places where it didn't even impact the play being reviewed (and calling it nonetheless).  

I was originally against it, then warmed up to the idea (slightly), but this is even worse than anticipated.  It's not only failed to accomplish what it was intended to accomplish (at least it appears that way... I guess we'll see once the playoffs begin), but it's also opened a can of worms that can do more harm than good.  

• Like 2

I don't know exactly who wants this rule dead but clearly I think the NFL brass directly or indirectly wants it dead.  PI is so judgement based it turns into a nightmare on slo mo if it gets overturned a lot.  Not to mention slowing down the game horribly.  I think the NFL and officials didn't want to deal with it so just killed it this way.  Now it has to be the worst PI you have ever seen to be reversed.  Or they may just remove the rule altogether.  

Edited by purplemonster

Here is an interesting story I came across on another site, basically Bears coach Fangio says another coach told him they thought there was offensive PI on a TD, officials didn't even take a long time to look and there was no "review". That coach asked the league, who said it was PI, then he asked the officiating division why it wasn't overturned and they said "we've been told not to overturn plays involving PI".

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/fangio_refs_have_been_told_not_to_overturn_pass_interference_reviews/s1_12680_30575216

If true that's a black eye for the league, getting rid of the review isn't going to full rectify it but would be best before they really look dumb.

The NFL created this monster. It's either pass interference or it's not. And now that they've implemented video replay it's only gotten more complicated, how?? IT'S PASS INTERFERENCE OR IT'S NOT. It doesn't matter if it's the first play of the game, the last play of the game or the Superbowl. Pass interference is still pass interference. I'm not sure how they fix it at this point. 

Edited by League_Champion

On 11/20/2019 at 6:54 AM, League_Champion said:

The NFL created this monster. It's either pass interference or it's not. And now that they've implemented video replay it's only gotten more complicated, how?? IT'S PASS INTERFERENCE OR IT'S NOT. It doesn't matter if it's the first play of the game, the last play of the game or the Superbowl. Pass interference is still pass interference. I'm not sure how they fix it at this point. 

Well, they could follow your advice and call PI when it's PI. Wouldn't be hard, except the NFL is getting really good at screwing up simple things. One day, they will actually kill their Golden Goose and act surprised at how it happened.

13 hours ago, stethant said:

Well, they could follow your advice and call PI when it's PI. Wouldn't be hard, except the NFL is getting really good at screwing up simple things. One day, they will actually kill their Golden Goose and act surprised at how it happened.

Agree! And what now? This PI Challenge thing is an udder disaster. Do you go back to the old school rules where it's either PI or it's not, deal with it? I think you almost have to. You can't have a PI review or challenge if you aren't going to change the call anyhow. 

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

Agree! And what now? This PI Challenge thing is an udder disaster. Do you go back to the old school rules where it's either PI or it's not, deal with it? I think you almost have to. You can't have a PI review or challenge if you aren't going to change the call anyhow. 

udder disaster, Freudian slip my friend ;) 

The NFL is a joke, period.

At this point I'm convinced 100% that the NFL is in bed with the gambling world. The phantom flags that show up to keep games close...the replays that are clearly obvious to the average fan not getting overturned....all of it.

It's a joke. There seems to be a controversy EVERY game.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Chief Dick said:

The NFL is a joke, period.

At this point I'm convinced 100% that the NFL is in bed with the gambling world. The phantom flags that show up to keep games close...the replays that are clearly obvious to the average fan not getting overturned....all of it.

It's a joke. There seems to be a controversy EVERY game.

It is a joke. I don't know how they fix it from here. 

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

It is a joke. I don't know how they fix it from here. 

It's clear to me the NFL doesn't care. People are still watching and all of these controversies stir up clicks and reactions and shares on social media. But to an old fart like me, these are TERRIBLE metrics to base your business on.

Unless they WANT their business to be manufactured crap. Because it's becoming less about the sport and more about the crap. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chief Dick said:

It's clear to me the NFL doesn't care. People are still watching and all of these controversies stir up clicks and reactions and shares on social media. But to an old fart like me, these are TERRIBLE metrics to base your business on.

Unless they WANT their business to be manufactured crap. Because it's becoming less about the sport and more about the crap. 

Great point Chief. I guess as long as the ratings are good and sponsors are spending $$$, so what? Degenerates like us are going to watch no matter what. 

I saw something the other day about ratings, for women age 18-49, the top 10 programs this year have all been NFL games. I don't doubt women are sports fans (even though my circle of family and friends mostly aren't), but I wonder if making it more about social media style TMZ type drama doesn't feed a new/growing demographic.

I'm a sucker for it, and don't follow college so I'm probably not going anywhere. Ans since I'm not a measured Neilson home and don't spend money directly on the NFL (merch or tix) I'm not making an impact on what they care about by boycotting. 

• 4 months later...