[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do NFL teams tank?

1fastdoc

If a team is 5-6 at this point in the season, what's the point of trying to win?  It just hurts draft position for the following season.  I guess one argument would be to maintain attendance at games?

We have teams in our dynasty league that have no real chance of making the playoffs so, while they're playing active players, I'm not sure I'd fault them for starting a weak RB1 like Melvin Gordon over a strong one like Cook.  More commonly what we see is dropping mediocre older players for young guys with breakout potential next year.  I feel like Miami has been doing just that.

But in the NFL, do the Bengals or Dolphins want to win a game at this point when it only hurts them next year?  Obviously they still try.  One could make an ethical argument that trying to win is damaging the team's future potential and, as such, it is unethical to play their best players and try to win.

I think teams do tank, absolutely, though they may not think in those terms (out loud anyway). In rebuilding a team, the reality is that most guys of any note have about 3 good years or so - one contract. If a guy won't likely be around next year, then it makes sense to trade him away and backfill with cheaper options. Just because you pick in the top 5 picks doesn't mean you'll get it right. Just like fantasy drafts, at least half of the rookies won't meet expectations and there are millions at stake to get it right. And even with the one player - does that make a team instantly significantly better? I think bad teams will strip down so they can load up better the next year - free agents included. And avoid pricey contracts that are not going to stick around.  I think it is more about infusing youth, getting guys who will be new and better at buying into the scheme. So yeah, teams do not field the most competitive teams this year in the hopes that they can next year. But draft picks are just a small part of the equation IMO. Basically, suck and you get to pick just one player that may be better than the ones that follow in the draft. 

In NFL terms, there is nothing wrong with it but if you put a 0-16 team out there, the next year better be spectacular. Lots of coaches only last one or two years.

I think, too often, people confuse what management is doing with what the players/coaches want to accomplish.  The players want to win.  Ask any former NFL player, and they'll tell you that the idea that players play to lose (for the purpose of a better draft pick next year) is absolutely ridiculous.  It's a cuttroat business.  For 75% of them, their jobs are on the line.  Same with the coaches.... Go 0-16, and there's no guarantee you're coming back the next year, particularly if you're underachieving.  

Every year, we hear about some team "tanking."  This year, there have been several.  First, it was Miami.  Then, people said the Bengals, Jets, and even the Broncos were rumored to be "in the running" for the #1 pick. Nine times out of ten (maybe more, actually), the "tanking" teams end up winning games.  And, most of those times, they beat teams that aren't even in the tanking conversation.  If they were truly tanking, that wouldn't happen.

So, yeah, GM's put their teams in a position to rebuild, through selling off players that can't really help long-term, or players who are doing more harm than good, contract-wise, etc.  But, at the end of the day, every coach and group of players is trying to win each and every week.  If they don't, they'll be replaced.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gopher said:

No, tanking may have been trading away Drake.  Ballage is the best of what they have left at the position.  

Well, that's my point. Trading away Drake and then inserting Ballage in the starting lineup. Drake was the best offensive weapon and they didn't use him, so now they are playing their "best" in the position.

Just now, Shaft said:

Well, that's my point. Trading away Drake and then inserting Ballage in the starting lineup. Drake was the best offensive weapon and they didn't use him, so now they are playing their "best" in the position.

Right.  All I'm saying is that, when people say that "teams" tank, all too often it gets misinterpretted.  Coaches and players don't tank for better draft position.  General management/ownership does.  

14 hours ago, Shaft said:

14 hours ago, Gopher said:

Right.  All I'm saying is that, when people say that "teams" tank, all too often it gets misinterpretted.  Coaches and players don't tank for better draft position.  General management/ownership does.  

Miami seems to want to trade away people with great potential who don't fit their scheme instead of developing and exploiting their innate talents.  Drake and Ajayi being good examples.

I bet if CMC played for Miami he'd be putting up mediocre numbers relative to his current production and would be a RB2/3 at best.

I see what you're saying about teams/coaches vs management.  It makes me think of the movie Major League.  It's got to be damn discouraging for some of those guys.

8 hours ago, Wolverines Fan said:

Well if some guy tweeted it then it must be a fact :rolleyes:

I recognize the name, but not sure what makes him an NFL expert, or anybody whose opinion matters. That is part of the issue with these "teams are tanking" stories, most of it starts with the media, and I use that term lightly since anybody with a smart phone can be a blogger, Tweeter, etc and label themselves an expert. Even the top industry guys like Schefter are wrong quite a bit, of course they'll never admit it even when they bribe medical people to release personal information on a patient (JPPs hand xray after he had firecracker taking fingers off).

The other half of the problem is fans, they eat this stuff up and repeat it. Or they sit on their coaches munching on snacks and getting drunk thinking they're an expert by calling out guys saying they play with no heart of spirit, because it makes them feel good. 

Players hate losing, during the Browns game when they led 14-7 and Steelers looked like they might tie it, Baker Mayfield looked rather depressed on the sideline, like he was expecting to lose. 

17 hours ago, Gopher said:

True, tanking is easy when you have a crappy roster. Miami may suck but they now have tons of assets to move around over the next couple years. TREVOR LAWRENCE