[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"Big" contracts that worked out

purplemonster

It seems like to me that most big contracts seem to go south on most teams. Gurley, Goff, DJ are three examples where big investments of money or draft picks has not really paid off.  Inevitably it seems you are paying for the players' best season and never get the same return, or even if they are good, there's not enough money to pay other guys.  RB contracts are probably the easiest to pick on here.  A contract that did work out was Russell Wilson.  You could argue even that Kirk Cousins contract, as rich as it is, may be worth it if he continues to play well.  But is he worth it if they had Bridgewater instead? Even a guy who does play well or even dominantly like Khalil Mack you have to wonder if it's worth it.

I don't see Bill Belichick handing out these contracts. He has some special advantages being a winner and players willing to play for less $$/guarantees, but I think there's more to it than that. Bill is always looking for value guys who are cheap but he feels he can coach up. Thoughts?

Edited by purplemonster

22 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

So you'd say the Bears are better off with Mack than they were with the dollars and draft picks?  Not being snarky, honest question

Last year, the Bears' defense was formidable and had to gameplan for Mack, with the offense just to make the playoffs, Not so much this year but I think Mack was worth it.

19 minutes ago, Montana is da Man said:

Michael Thomas' contract seems to be paying off

That's true, Thomas has tremendous competitive drive.  He seems motivated internally. The Vikings paid a lot for Anthony Barr and now he's playing like trash.  He did not seem like a guy who prided himself on playing hard every play

12 hours ago, purplemonster said:

I feel like somebody's going to pay a ton for Derrick Henry and he's going to go in the tank.  I think he's a great running back but his lack of intensity early in his career would tell me he would get complacent pretty easy with a huge contract. I could very well be wrong

In fairness Henry has never been used properly until late last year and this year 

13 hours ago, Montana is da Man said:

Michael Thomas' contract seems to be paying off

All good. The point I'm making is that many people being referenced aren't even under the new contract, so we don't know how it plays out.