[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Riverboat Ron Fired

BillyBalata

24 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Naaaa. That was a fluke year and everyone knows it. He's a terrible Gameday coach. He can't think on his feet. 

He's just an older version of Nagy.  Former QB who doesn't know how to work the running game and thinks he is smarter than everyone in the room.  :nono:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

I was surprised bc I thought they had done ok with medium talent and a backup QB.  That defense has been pretty terrible though recently.  Rivera should coach somewhere else that needs some stability.  

Yes.  Ron is my boy Blue!

9 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

I was surprised bc I thought they had done ok with medium talent and a backup QB.  That defense has been pretty terrible though recently.  Rivera should coach somewhere else that needs some stability.  

I agree, unless there is something we don't know about I think he got railed. He lost Newton and was still competitive with a stiff backup QB and a ton of injuries. 

They were up and down this year, winning games they probably should have lost, and vice versa.  Rivera is a good dude, though.... One of the most respected coaches in the game.  I think they could have waited until season's end, personally.  

7 minutes ago, Gopher said:

They were up and down this year, winning games they probably should have lost, and vice versa.  Rivera is a good dude, though.... One of the most respected coaches in the game.  I think they could have waited until season's end, personally.  

Yeah. He's not the best coach ever.   But I pull for him because he's a Bear.  But he has maybe blown a few chances too.  I do hope the best for him!

11 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Agree. Firing him now accomplishes nothing in my mind. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SNOWBOUND33 said:

Yeah. He's not the best coach ever.   But I pull for him because he's a Bear.  But he has maybe blown a few chances too.  I do hope the best for him!

Yeah, I'm not saying he was great.  But, he was well-liked by not only his team/players, but also the rest of the league, etc.  Firing somebody mid-season is appropriate if that season is a massive failure.  This wasn't even close to that, all things considered.  In fact, the consensus among a lot of NFL guys was that his job wasn't even on the line, at least in terms of what I've been hearing on Sirius Radio, etc.  So, to hear that he was let go today was a surprise to a lot of people, and seems unnecessarily harsh.  It's the equivalent of getting walked out in the middle of your shift, in front of your peers, versus being told after your shift not to return.  Both suck, but one is quite a bit more humiliating.  

1 hour ago, Wolverines Fan said:

And the decision to trade Olsen is still one of the dumbest trades in Bears franchise history.

Don't know, Pace may have had someone hold his beer before he traded up one spot for Mitch.  At least it was logical at the time since Martz never was capable using the position appropriately.

11 hours ago, League_Champion said:

That and trading up to get Trubisky while passing on Mahomes and Watson in the process. That one is going to leave a mark. 

I doubt Mahomes is the same guy we see today if the Bears drafted him. People like to trash Andy Reid a lot but he played a huge role in Mahomes development. Browns passed on those 2 when we needed a QB and took Garrett, I regularly hear Browns fans complaining about that, especially when Garrett was injured, not yet excelling and now with the suspension. I'm a firm believer in a players development and resulting ability to succeed in the NFL is greatly influenced by the coaches and players around them. A garbage team with a revolving door of coaches has a hard time developing young talent. 

• Like 1