[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Steelers

DMD

Just writing up the Steelers game and it strikes me that I cannot think of a team that underwent so much change in fantasy players in just a year or two. The Steelers were the top of the fantasy mountain with Ben Roethlisberger, Le'Veon Bell, JuJu Smith-Schuster, and Antonio Brown. 

Right now I am projecting for Devlin Hodges, Benny Snell, James Washington and Diontae Johnson.

That's like a nosedive from 50,000' you cannot pull out of.

Cannot think of a team so stripped, so fast.

3 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

Well, technically the 4-8 Broncos and 4-8 Jets are in the playoff hunt also.  So while we are heaping praise on Pittsburgh for currently being the 6th seed in the AFC; the conference is pretty bad beyond a few teams. 

The Browns have a better chance than those teams, and if you look at expected results could argue a better shot than the Steelers. 

PIT is 7-5, should beat AZ and NYJ, but may lose both of BUF & BAL, ending 9-7. If that happens and Browns win out (CIN, @AZ, BAL, @CIN) they would tie at 9-7 and CLE wins that tie-breaker. Colts and Titans are the other two more legit teams fighting for that last spot, Colts seem to be regressing and Titans have to play HOU twice, both teams also play NO. 

The AFC has a lot of bad teams, but I think the top 5 are all pretty good and any one of them could beat any other team, including beating NE in Foxborough. The 6 seed is likely to lose their WC game.

There are five 10-2 teams in the NFL. The Steelers played four of 'em in the first five weeks. They lost to Ravens in ot by 3 and by 3 and 4 to the Hawks and 9ers respectively.  That puts a lot of perspective on the 5 losses they have. They've been a lot better than their roster would indicate absolutely because of their defense. With a healthy Ben this is a superbowl contender.  

17 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

There are five 10-2 teams in the NFL. The Steelers played four of 'em in the first five weeks. They lost to Ravens in ot by 3 and by 3 and 4 to the Hawks and 9ers respectively.  That puts a lot of perspective on the 5 losses they have. They've been a lot better than their roster would indicate absolutely because of their defense. With a healthy Ben this is a superbowl contender.  

Browns played those same four 10 win teams, but took thru week 8 (game 7). We beat BAL, lost by 4 to the Seahawks and got blown out by the 49ers. We had a closer game with the Pats. CLE & PIT split with both winning at home.  To me these teams feel pretty even right now, despite being 2 back. I think week 15 is the key(figure they both win this week), CLE goes to AZ, while PIT takes on BAL. 

15 hours ago, DMD said:

The Steelers were the top of the fantasy mountain with Ben Roethlisberger, Le'Veon Bell, JuJu Smith-Schuster, and Antonio Brown. 

Top of the FF mountain but despite that talent they haven't seen the SB since 2010 and there was no reason they'd significantly improve before Bell and Brown jumped ship.  I can see why those guys wanted out.

5 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

Well, technically the 4-8 Broncos and 4-8 Jets are in the playoff hunt also.  So while we are heaping praise on Pittsburgh for currently being the 6th seed in the AFC; the conference is pretty bad beyond a few teams. 

I think praise is warranted in this situation. Look at the garbage they have on offense. It's amazing they can beat anyone. 

25 minutes ago, 1fastdoc said:

Top of the FF mountain but despite that talent they haven't seen the SB since 2010 and there was no reason they'd significantly improve before Bell and Brown jumped ship.  I can see why those guys wanted out.

seems to be working out well for both of them... they had all sorts of talent on offense and historically bad defenses. Despite that, they were a perennial playoff team and if not for NE, would likely have made it to at least 1 more SB probably 2. 

Edited by Gourdeau

43 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Browns played those same four 10 win teams, but took thru week 8 (game 7). We beat BAL, lost by 4 to the Seahawks and got blown out by the 49ers. We had a closer game with the Pats. CLE & PIT split with both winning at home.  To me these teams feel pretty even right now, despite being 2 back. I think week 15 is the key(figure they both win this week), CLE goes to AZ, while PIT takes on BAL. 

The significant difference here is 2 things. 1. Pittsburgh knows exactly who they are and Cleveland doesn't which leads me to #2. Coaching. Freddie seems inept and way over his head.

I was a big Tomlin downer for years, but after seeing what happened with AB on his way out and all this season, I truly believe with him there, having the locker room was impossible. I also think he's likely learned a lot from that experience with AB. To me, its him or Sean Mcdermott for COY

Edited by Gourdeau
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, DMD said:

Just writing up the Steelers game and it strikes me that I cannot think of a team that underwent so much change in fantasy players in just a year or two. The Steelers were the top of the fantasy mountain with Ben Roethlisberger, Le'Veon Bell, JuJu Smith-Schuster, and Antonio Brown. 

Right now I am projecting for Devlin Hodges, Benny Snell, James Washington and Diontae Johnson.

That's like a nosedive from 50,000' you cannot pull out of.

Cannot think of a team so stripped, so fast.

It really is crazy isn't it. I think this week is going to be super run heavy with Snell, 18-22 carries with Whyte getting another 4-6. Typical low scoring Steelers game, Steelers win 17-13

Edited by Gourdeau

1 hour ago, Gourdeau said:

The significant difference here is 2 things. 1. Pittsburgh knows exactly who they are and Cleveland doesn't which leads me to #2. Coaching. Freddie seems inept and way over his head.

I was a big Tomlin downer for years, but after seeing what happened with AB on his way out and all this season, I truly believe with him there, having the locker room was impossible. I also think he's likely learned a lot from that experience with AB. To me, its him or Sean Mcdermott for COY

Kitchens ain't great, but inept is a bit over the top. He's a first year head coach, and until midway thru last year had never even been a coordinator at any level. I'd have preferred a guy with more experience, but then I thought Hue Jackson fit that criteria and he was a disaster. 

Tomlin inherited a team that had just gone 8-8, but won 10 or more games 4 of the 5 prior seasons. The team was stacked with talent, Ben, Willie Parker, Ward, Holmes, Heath Miller and several Pro Bowl players on defense. Most coaches are not that lucky, and with little to no experience they will to be in over their heads. When the team they take over has recently gone 1-31 and only won more than 6 games a few times over 20 years, that's a pretty big difference. 

The difference I see, we both play AZ and BAL, but you also play BUF and and NYJ while we have CIN twice. 

It's going to be a show down between them and the Titans. Both 7-5, Steelers own tie break.  Titans have  Houston twice, @raiders and home vs Saints. Steelers have @Cardinals , @Jets, @Ravens and home vs Bills.  Steelers SHOULD end 9-7 but COULD win the home game vs Bills (flexed to SNF actually). The way the Titans defense and run game is rolling right now, I wouldn't be shocked if they win out, but realistically I see them splitting with Houston and losing to the Saints. Going to be fun. 

7 hours ago, Gourdeau said:

It's going to be a show down between them and the Titans. Both 7-5, Steelers own tie break.  Titans have  Houston twice, @raiders and home vs Saints. Steelers have @Cardinals , @Jets, @Ravens and home vs Bills.  Steelers SHOULD end 9-7 but COULD win the home game vs Bills (flexed to SNF actually). The way the Titans defense and run game is rolling right now, I wouldn't be shocked if they win out, but realistically I see them splitting with Houston and losing to the Saints. Going to be fun. 

Hate to remind you of this, but if the Steelers end 9-7 Browns can still pass them for that playoff spot by winning out (CIN, @AZ, BAL, @CIN), CLE would have the tie breaker on division record. Three winnable games and the Ravens in our house, and we've already beaten them in BAL. PIT will need to retain that 2 game lead on the Browns heading into week 17/ Titans have a tough road for sure, they need to win at least 2 or they're likely out. 

ESPN playoff machine

(simply used winning % as default, and changed the Browns week 16 to beat BAL. PIT/CLE/TEN/IND/OAK all tied at 9-7 but Browns win the tie breakers.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Hate to remind you of this, but if the Steelers end 9-7 Browns can still pass them for that playoff spot by winning out (CIN, @AZ, BAL, @CIN), CLE would have the tie breaker on division record. Three winnable games and the Ravens in our house, and we've already beaten them in BAL. PIT will need to retain that 2 game lead on the Browns heading into week 17/ Titans have a tough road for sure, they need to win at least 2 or they're likely out. 

ESPN playoff machine

(simply used winning % as default, and changed the Browns week 16 to beat BAL. PIT/CLE/TEN/IND/OAK all tied at 9-7 but Browns win the tie breakers.

Yup I know. I give the Browns no chance of beating Baltimore. The team they beat in week 4 is not the same team we are watching now. Not even close. Then remove Garrett. That's why I didn't include the Browns in the conversation. 

16 hours ago, Gourdeau said:

Yup I know. I give the Browns no chance of beating Baltimore. The team they beat in week 4 is not the same team we are watching now. Not even close. Then remove Garrett. That's why I didn't include the Browns in the conversation. 

OK, fair enough, but I don't see PIT beating BUF either, not even at home. I'd say good luck, but then I'd be lying ;)

On 12/4/2019 at 12:59 AM, League_Champion said:

Agree, what Tomlin is doing there is amazing. He's working with dog shizz and they are still competitive. 

Reminds of the job Garrett is doing, just in reverse. 2 very remarkable coaches.