[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dynasty leagues, FAAB and roster size

1fastdoc

For those in dynasty leagues, do you use a rolling waiver priority or FAAB?  We use the former and have a large bench of 22 players to allow people to draft rookies and hold onto them for the season, knowing it could be a year or 2 before they shine.  But it also makes the waiver wire anemic.

I was debating on changing to FAAB next year.  But is that better or worse in a dynasty situation?  And should we reduce the bench by a few players to bulk up the waiver wire?

I know of another league that charges actual money to make trades, which significantly boosts the pot and also allows for weekly payouts, but I don't want to do that if I have to keep track of the money.  That's way too much of a pain in the ass.

Any suggestions?  FWIW we have been using Yahoo since 2015 and we all like it.

4 hours ago, millworkguy said:

How many teams in the league and how many starters?  why not reduce the roster size, add 3 taxi spots and go to faab, let teams decide the value of new adds

10 team PPR. 10 starting spots. 22 bench + 1 IR 

QB, 3 WR, 2 RB, TE, 2 flex, Def 

Our league is closer to a dynasty with 5 keepers and no limit on how long or increasing cost to team. There are 12 teams, we start 9, and have 9 bench spots. And we have problems with any quality on waivers (216 players rostered). The OP has another 100 players out of the WW pool. 

We've discussed having 1-2 fewer bench spots, but many complain about their ability to cover byes and having to make more roster moves (at $2 each) to deal with it. Maybe going back to a RB/WR/TE flex spot in place of our 3rd WR slot would help, but we eliminated flex spot some time ago and few owners even want to listen to going back to something we changed once already. 

I'm often curious how a true dynasty works, is their still some portion of the roster you don't have the next season? Or is it like the NFL where you start with an additional 10-20 or more players, and widdle the roster down to before the season starts. 

Last year we had 20 spots + IR.  I increased it to 25 so we could draft rookies (and for many, potential 2nd year breakouts or Defenses).  I started with 20, some dropped down to 12 and heavily gambled on rookies.  Then the plan was to cut to 20.  Yahoo doesn't allow roster size changes after the draft and most guys realized they didn't want to cut that many so we made it 22 and it's an honor system. 

I watch every team and if someone adds a player without a drop or if someone comes off IR to active, I message them to drop a player or I lock the team.  Everyone has been pretty good about it.  And if you quiz me, I can tell you who has every one of the 220 rostered players and their IR's, lol.

The best players on the WW now are Daniel Jones, Minshew, Sims, Barber, Agholor, Humphries, Laird, Carter...

The cool thing is planning long term and considering cost/ADP.  With FAAB those that research and invest well should see better long term ROI.  

I wouldn't even consider a redraft league at this point.  I want people who are invested and in it for the long haul - the process and the wins are far more gratifying. 

1 hour ago, 1fastdoc said:

Last year we had 20 spots + IR.  I increased it to 25 so we could draft rookies (and for many, potential 2nd year breakouts or Defenses).  I started with 20, some dropped down to 12 and heavily gambled on rookies.  Then the plan was to cut to 20.  Yahoo doesn't allow roster size changes after the draft and most guys realized they didn't want to cut that many so we made it 22 and it's an honor system. 

I watch every team and if someone adds a player without a drop or if someone comes off IR to active, I message them to drop a player or I lock the team.  Everyone has been pretty good about it.  And if you quiz me, I can tell you who has every one of the 220 rostered players and their IR's, lol.

The best players on the WW now are Daniel Jones, Minshew, Sims, Barber, Agholor, Humphries, Laird, Carter...

The cool thing is planning long term and considering cost/ADP.  With FAAB those that research and invest well should see better long term ROI.  

I wouldn't even consider a redraft league at this point.  I want people who are invested and in it for the long haul - the process and the wins are far more gratifying. 

Why in the world is Daniel Jones on the waiver wire ??  In one league I just traded a 2020 3rd & 4th  just traded for him & Jerick McKinnon of course this is a 14 team dynasty but even in my 12 team he is rostered   

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, stevegrab said:

I'm often curious how a true dynasty works, is their still some portion of the roster you don't have the next season? Or is it like the NFL where you start with an additional 10-20 or more players, and widdle the roster down to before the season starts. 

This is why i prefer salary cap or contract cap leagues, where you give the players a contract, and they become a free agent at the end of a couple of years.  if i was able to hold players indefinitely i don't know how a bottom team would be able to improve ( or a mid bottom team) the owner at the bottom got zeke, got jacobs, Gurley etc, but the owners who finish 8,9,10,11th and don't get the top guy (instead drafted: Guice, Penny, Ross, Perine, Z Jones, Coleman, Treadwell, Doctson, Yeldon, d Parker, Ameer, Green-Beckham) are still bottom dwellers, and what would you keep going if that was 3 of your  last 4 drafts?

14 hours ago, millworkguy said:

This is why i prefer salary cap or contract cap leagues, where you give the players a contract, and they become a free agent at the end of a couple of years.  if i was able to hold players indefinitely i don't know how a bottom team would be able to improve ( or a mid bottom team) the owner at the bottom got zeke, got jacobs, Gurley etc, but the owners who finish 8,9,10,11th and don't get the top guy (instead drafted: Guice, Penny, Ross, Perine, Z Jones, Coleman, Treadwell, Doctson, Yeldon, d Parker, Ameer, Green-Beckham) are still bottom dwellers, and what would you keep going if that was 3 of your  last 4 drafts?

We keep 5 players, and start 9, so the core of your team can be carried from year to year. But the other 4 starters and depth need to be drafted, and that can be key. 

This year I had the first pick and got Jacobs, already had Carson & Coleman, along with Adams, Ertz and Goff who I got in a trade. My other WR were very weak, Ertz didn't play well early, nor Goff. I thought I had a good team, but still finished last (had 2nd highest points against). We'll see who I get next year.

It is hard, but far from impossible to build a good team. We see lots of trading before our draft (teams have 6 or 7 viable keepers (top 60-70 guys) and trade for draft picks. The guys near the top most of the time are good at drafting and managing their teams. They haven't had the greatest player for long stretches. 

21 hours ago, MustOfBeenDrunk said:

Why in the world is Daniel Jones on the waiver wire ??  In one league I just traded a 2020 3rd & 4th  just traded for him & Jerick McKinnon of course this is a 14 team dynasty but even in my 12 team he is rostered   

Probably because he's dead weight in FF.  Three games above 20 points.  Of course, Rodgers only had 5 but that's why the dinosaur is on my bench.

17 hours ago, millworkguy said:

Not really true.  One of the most dominant teams in the last couple years had Kamara among a few other studs and he didn't make the playoffs this year.  I was in 9th last year and I was in first for much of this season.  For Dynasty it's all about predicting the 2nd and 3rd year breakouts and picking them up for cheap or free at the end of the season.

There are keeper type dynasty leagues and there are "more complex" dynasty leagues.  For those wondering the difference, I advise checking out the openings in the BoTH leagues that will start popping up late January with the season generally kicking off in March.  

47 minutes ago, 1fastdoc said:

Not really true.  One of the most dominant teams in the last couple years had Kamara among a few other studs and he didn't make the playoffs this year.  I was in 9th last year and I was in first for much of this season.  For Dynasty it's all about predicting the 2nd and 3rd year breakouts and picking them up for cheap or free at the end of the season.

All I play is dynasty,  but all my leagues differ, the salary cap and contract cap have alot more turnover of talent then the 40 man (idp) keeper style dynasties.  Like you said, the Kamara owner was dominating for the last couple of years, and you didnt mention how you ended the year, just that you had been in 1st at some point after being 9th last year.

And I posted 12 1st round picks of the last 3 years that have had almost no impact on any fantasy team.  That's a 33% failure rate on 1st round picks (which is how many bottom teams get better)

Edited by millworkguy

On 12/11/2019 at 7:42 AM, stevegrab said:

I'm in a couple dynasty leagues with varying formats, but for the most part, there is a hard cap on roster size during the season, but in the offseason it is open so you have your rookie draft, can pick up free agents, etc. and then have to cut down to the roster limit before the season starts.

For the "more complex" IDP dynasty league I am in with contracts and FAAB,  there is also a restricted free agency period in the offseason where player movement occurs.

20 hours ago, 1fastdoc said:

Probably because he's dead weight in FF.  Three games above 20 points.  Of course, Rodgers only had 5 but that's why the dinosaur is on my bench.

What ? of course he is dead weight this year, but this is a dynasty league, he is rookie who is more than worth rostering for 2020 or 2021 with the 22 player bench he said he has.

• Like 1