irish

Garrett done

1 hour ago, whomper said:

How else would you explain them still being Americas team with such a long SB drought ? :usa:

The Saints are the "Black and Gold" and "Who Dat Nation." You can call yourself whatever you want, but that doesn't make it a real thing. It's just a name you gave yourself. Every NFL team is America's Team, none any more than the other because it is America's game. Having more fans, if you actually do, doesn't make one team moreso America's team than the other. What happens when another team has more fans than Dallas, which likely won't happen for the reason I gave in the other post, are you then going to give up that name? I doubt it. 

47 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

I agree, it's popularity. But you also have to admit that popularity was manufactured and it started in the 70's when the Cowboys were actually a good team. They were much better marketed and we're smart enough to get in the pockets of the networks early and as I said, the more exposure you have the more fans you gain. You didn't become a fan of Dallas because you have any ties to the team. You became a fan because that's what you were exposed to and you were drawn to the product they were putting on and off the field. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's still manufactured, just like the name.

I was brainwashed by my older brother to like all of the teams he liked. It has been great on the Cowboys end..Not so much on the Baltimore Orioles end :lol:   Like I said earlier . Americas team is an empty title. I get that . Clever marketing ? agree , but there is something to be said for not winning a title since the 90s and keeping that fan base and popularity

39 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

but that doesn't make it a real thing. 

I said this about 20 posts ago

• Like 1

3 hours ago, whomper said:

Being a fan of a hard luck team doesn't make you a better fan as those who are fans of teams that have had overall success. I have been a Cowboys fan since I was a child  . No matter how many years it has been since they have won a SB , I have never waivered in my support . I have had the pleasure of watching 4 super bowl wins( too young to watch 72) It is a loyal fan base  . How else would you explain them still being Americas team with such a long SB drought ? :usa:

Bandwagoners perhaps?

21 minutes ago, whomper said:

there is something to be said for not winning a title since the 90s and keeping that fan base and popularity.

Turn on ESPN and it's not hard to understand why. Dallas can be in last place in the NFL and they STILL will dominate air time. When you don't even have to win in order to get that kind of exposure it's not really difficult to stay popular. Take, for instance, the infamous owner of the Dallas Cowboys. The vast majority of NFL fans couldn't tell you who 90% of the NFL owners are outside of their own team, but everyone knows who Jerry Jones is. Does that mean Jerry is the most popular? Does it mean he's the most liked by fans? No, it just means he gets way more exposure than any other owner.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Bandwagoners perhaps?

Odd bandwagon to jump on since they havent cashed in since the 90s 

20 hours ago, whomper said:

Odd bandwagon to jump on since they havent cashed in since the 90s 

It's that dam cute little star and footie pajamas that they sell. Who could resist? But really it's just bad parenting. 

Edited by League_Champion

On 1/8/2020 at 2:31 PM, whomper said:

Ok so we both agree the Cowboys arent a strong team.  Hence they are chosen for primetime for better ratings to use your own words. What brings better ratings ? A giant fanbase . These are facts . You keep trying to attribute this to delusion and ego.  I'm giving you facts . Top road draw in NFL . Most valuable franchise in sports.  Facts . 

The Cowboys are a huge draw for the NFL, both because people like them but also because people hate them.

They are NOT America's team, that is just some stupid term somebody used that Cowboys fans cling to during their many years of mediocre play.

Now cue the "well you're a Browns fan what do you know nonsense". 

On 1/9/2020 at 1:22 PM, rajncajn said:

It's pretty easy to make yourself "America's team" when networks and media flood the market with your product. They've been doing it since the 70's. It's no surprise they have such a wide spread fanbase. I applaud the fact that they've marketed so well, but that hardly makes them "America's team."

They have as many haters as they do fans. How many Pats fans loved watching them lose to the Dolphins then the Titans in the playoffs. That was almost as good as my team winning something. 

33 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

The Cowboys are a huge draw for the NFL, both because people like them but also because people hate them.

They are NOT America's team, that is just some stupid term somebody used that Cowboys fans cling to during their many years of mediocre play.

Now cue the "well you're a Browns fan what do you know nonsense". 

They have a brilliant marketing department, that's all. They found a gimmick that stuck. Half of the Cowboy fans that I've run across are frauds. 

18 hours ago, League_Champion said:

They have a brilliant marketing department, that's all. They found a gimmick that stuck. Half of the Cowboy fans that I've run across are frauds. 

No doubt, same probably goes for many popular teams. Here in NE Ohio there are many Steeler fans, the more south and east you go of CLE the worse it gets, I work with several of them. But most I've met and talked to have decent reasons, several grew up or had roots in Western PA or parts of eastern OH and WV panhandle that are very close to PIT). But often you talk to these fans, ask "why are you a Cowboys fan" the response is basically they sstarted following them when they were young, and of course the Cowboys (Steelers, 49ers, etc.) were good and winning titles then. 

2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

But often you talk to these fans, ask "why are you a Cowboys fan" the response is basically they sstarted following them when they were young, and of course the Cowboys (Steelers, 49ers, etc.) were good and winning titles then. 

Exactly, total fraud bandwagoners. How many Cowboys fans have ever even been to Dallas?? Such a joke 

This thread is comical.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Def. said:

This thread is comical.

about time for a little spice around here.  You know... for all us rooting for loser teams.  

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

about time for a little spice around here.  You know... for all us rooting for loser teams.  

Spice is nice, like to see some good ribbing now and then.  Some of these hot takes though...:unsure: 

I keep thinking this is about Myles...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 3:54 PM, League_Champion said:

Exactly, total fraud bandwagoners. How many Cowboys fans have ever even been to Dallas?? Such a joke 

Most philly fans I know live in south jersey . With your premise , shouldn't you be rooting for teams that play in NJ if you live in NJ ? I view sports as entertainment . I understand people rooting for their home teams and I think that's great , but it isn't as if those teams are made up of guys from your home state . The NFL is an entertainment business . As I stated , my brother brainwashed me as a boy and I like all of the teams he likes.  This includes suffering as an Orioles fan . Stevegrab is right. The Cowboys have tons of haters . I have friends who like insignificant teams that flood my social media page the literal second the Cowboys lose . Its a part of being a fan of Americas team . I have enjoyed their glory years and I have diehard supported them throughout this entire drought

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, whomper said:

Most philly fans I know live in south jersey . With your premise , shouldn't you be rooting for teams that play in NJ if you live in NJ ? I view sports as entertainment . I understand people rooting for their home teams and I think that's great , but it isn't as if those teams are made up of guys from your home state . The NFL is an entertainment business . As I stated , my brother brainwashed me as a boy and I like all of the teams he likes.  This includes suffering as an Orioles fan . Stevegrab is right. The Cowboys have tons of haters . I have friends who like insignificant teams that flood my social media page the literal second the Cowboys lose . Its a part of being a fan of Americas team . I have enjoyed their glory years and I have diehard supported them throughout this entire drought

I was born & raised in Philadelphia, now reside in SC. South Jersey is literally 5 minutes across the bridge. It may as well be Philly. How many Cowboy fans live, are near or have ever even been to Dallas?? 

2 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I was born & raised in Philadelphia, now reside in SC. South Jersey is literally 5 minutes across the bridge. It may as well be Philly. How many Cowboy fans live, are near or have ever even been to Dallas?? 

Another state is another state . It doesn't pertain to you as you were born in Philly , but the Philly fans that live in Jersey aren't true homers

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, whomper said:

Another state is another state . It doesn't pertain to you as you were born in Philly , but the Philly fans that live in Jersey aren't true homers

You just don't get it. 

Example: The nerd Cowboy fan who was born and raised in Philly. This guy is a bandwagoning traitor who has no soul or loyalty to his own. You would never trust this guy, he's a weasel. Not all Cowboy fans are like this but a lot are. And that same Cowboy fan is probably a SF or KC fan this week. He's the one in line at Dick's today buying KC & SF Jerseys. You know the guy I'm talking about. 

Edited by League_Champion

5 hours ago, whomper said:

Since you're using the "another state is another state" thing. 

Should true homer fans in NYC root for the Bills then, since they are the only NFL team that is from NY?

Or is there some kind of exemption that allows them to root for the teams that play in NJ?

51 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Since you're using the "another state is another state" thing. 

Should true homer fans in NYC root for the Bills then, since they are the only NFL team that is from NY?

Or is there some kind of exemption that allows them to root for the teams that play in NJ?

yes