Gourdeau

Cowboys likely to hire Mccarthy

Recommended Posts

Per Rappaport

 

 Sources: The #Cowboys are focused on hiring former #Packers coach Mike McCarthy. They are currently in talks. A day after firing Jason Garrett, it appears they have their guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's offical, per NFLN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hiring a retread means more of the same. Instead of taking cowboys in a new direction with a college coach with fresh ideas they take a retread whose style doesn’t seem to mesh with Elliott anyway. If beating the cowboys in the past was a consideration, Jones would still have a lot if interviewing to do.

 

yawn. Dammit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dunno here.  How can any of you be so confident that this is a bad, good or great hire?

 

I honestly thouhgt Jones would bring in someone from College.  Shows you what I know.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I dunno here.  How can any of you be so confident that this is a bad, good or great hire?

 

Because we've seen him coach. He can't coach his way out of a paper bag. That's why he's on the street. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They said they wanted a coach with extensive NFL experience so that rules out the college coaches. This should be very interesting for their passing game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Shaft said:

They said they wanted a coach with extensive NFL experience so that rules out the college coaches. This should be very interesting for their passing game. 

 

Yeah, I know. The thought process is that the Cowboys are just about to win a Super Bowl and they need an experienced coach to keep them going and not enter into more a rebuilding sort of thing with a coach new to the NFL. I do not agree with it, but that is why Jones went down this path.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have preferred Kris Richard. I wanted us to go young and fired up instead of retread . Hopefully his experience helps this team of underachievers . I'm indifferent on the hire when I had hoped to be excited.  Why the rush too ? We should have given others a listen 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, whomper said:

I would have preferred Kris Richard. I wanted us to go young and fired up instead of retread . Hopefully his experience helps this team of underachievers . I'm indifferent on the hire when I had hoped to be excited.  Why the rush too ? We should have given others a listen 

 

agreed 100%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I like the hire.  We will see how it goes.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CowboysDiehard said:

Well I like the hire.  We will see how it goes.  

I agree with you. I'm excited, love his experience and think he'll be settling for this team. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CowboysDiehard said:

Well I like the hire.  We will see how it goes.  

 

You like the name. He can't coach. Don't forget how it ended in GB. He wore on the players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, whomper said:

I would have preferred Kris Richard. I wanted us to go young and fired up instead of retread . Hopefully his experience helps this team of underachievers . I'm indifferent on the hire when I had hoped to be excited.  Why the rush too ? We should have given others a listen 

 

Because the Giants would have swooped in.  Rhule already makes a butt-ton at Baylor so he's unlikely to go to the G-men.  McCarthy was #1 on their list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

 

You like the name. He can't coach. Don't forget how it ended in GB. He wore on the players. 

 

 

You can't discount winning a Super Bowl.  A lot of successful coaches wear on their players.  Doesn't help when your star qb/chalupa is leading the mutiny.   There's a few stories of coach's getting fired and getting a 2nd chance and learning from the mistakes they made in their first job.

 

:sick:  Did i just defend a former packers head coach?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, DMD said:

Hiring a retread means more of the same. Instead of taking cowboys in a new direction with a college coach with fresh ideas they take a retread whose style doesn’t seem to mesh with Elliott anyway. If beating the cowboys in the past was a consideration, Jones would still have a lot if interviewing to do.

 

yawn. Dammit.

 

I was wondering about this.

 

Looked it up. McCarthy had just three top 12 rushing teams in Green Bay. All three were with Eddie Lacy before he ate himself out of the league. 

 

McCarthy should be smart enough to pound Zeke 15-20 times per game, I think. :unsure:

 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/McCaMi0.htm

 

 

 

 

Edited by Wolverines Fan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, BillyBalata said:

 

 

You can't discount winning a Super Bowl.  A lot of successful coaches wear on their players.  Doesn't help when your star qb/chalupa is leading the mutiny.   There's a few stories of coach's getting fired and getting a 2nd chance and learning from the mistakes they made in their first job.

 

:sick:  Did i just defend a former packers head coach?

 

this, its not hard to see that Rodgers is a total D o u ch e nozzle.  .618 winning % ( 5th amongst active coaches, Belicheck, Tomlin, Payton, Harbaugh)  6 division titles, 9 Playoff appearances, 4 NFC title games and a Superbowl in 13 years. The guy can coach. Cowboy fans wanted an alpha coach that Jerrah won't push around, here he is. The only concern i'd have is that in 13 years, Packers never had a top rushing game. Having said that, they never had an elite talent at RB. One of the things that wore on McCarthy was that Ted Thompson never went out and got players. Jerrah would kill his own son for another Superbowl, if Mike wants someone, he'll get em. 

Edited by Gourdeau
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DMD said:

Hiring a retread means more of the same. Instead of taking cowboys in a new direction with a college coach with fresh ideas they take a retread whose style doesn’t seem to mesh with Elliott anyway. If beating the cowboys in the past was a consideration, Jones would still have a lot if interviewing to do.

 

yawn. Dammit.

 

Hiring a college coach brings so much more that just implementing their fresh ideas. There is so much to learn for a first time NFL coach especially coming from college. It's a different world. How many times have we seen a college guy come up and fail. The cowboys have a win now roster and can't risk that. If they weren't close, I'd say yeah sure, bring in the clever, young gun. The cowboys are a piece or 2 away from really competing for a title. If I was a cowboys fan I'd be thrilled.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know a Cowboy fan that is thrilled personally. All we see is a coach that had early success, and then got so bad he was fired before the end of the season.

 

And he had one of the best QBs on the planet the whole time. And the Cowboys are a run-first team with a coach that has never been about the run that much. And what HC wants to come in and keep the second-year OC? McCarthy called the plays in GB, so I guess Moore holds the clipboard. Just not at all exciting. Jones wants to think he can plug in the coach and he'll hit the road running and win an immediate super bowl. 

 

Hey, he's walking into a bad situation with Jones maintaining too much control anyway. And now he meshes his different offensive style. Just not at all exciting. Smacks of a retread that goes three years and is gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Gourdeau said:

 

Hiring a college coach brings so much more that just implementing their fresh ideas. There is so much to learn for a first time NFL coach especially coming from college. It's a different world. How many times have we seen a college guy come up and fail. The cowboys have a win now roster and can't risk that. If they weren't close, I'd say yeah sure, bring in the clever, young gun. The cowboys are a piece or 2 away from really competing for a title. If I was a cowboys fan I'd be thrilled.  

I think this is a good point, and whether it's true or not doesn't matter, it's what Jerry believes. 

 

I kind of always got the feeling that McCarthy was underachieving.  And he seemed to get pretty ossified in his decision-making. Like when he wasn't using Aaron Jones.  Didn't really seem to make sense, but the more people that criticized him the more stubborn he got.  

 

Hard to say though that's just my sense from playing them a lot. I think their defense was pretty awful for a long time and that was mostly the GM's fault.  

 

Four NFC championship games is a lot for only 13 years but you have to weigh that against him having one of the best QBs of all time 

 

 

Edited by purplemonster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DMD said:

I don't know a Cowboy fan that is thrilled personally. All we see is a coach that had early success, and then got so bad he was fired before the end of the season.

 

And he had one of the best QBs on the planet the whole time. And the Cowboys are a run-first team with a coach that has never been about the run that much. And what HC wants to come in and keep the second-year OC? McCarthy called the plays in GB, so I guess Moore holds the clipboard. Just not at all exciting. Jones wants to think he can plug in the coach and he'll hit the road running and win an immediate super bowl. 

 

Hey, he's walking into a bad situation with Jones maintaining too much control anyway. And now he meshes his different offensive style. Just not at all exciting. Smacks of a retread that goes three years and is gone.

 

You missed my post elsewhere.  I'm definitely optimistic about this hire (or maybe you did and think I'm not a fan ;) ).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wolverines Fan said:

McCarthy should be smart enough to pound Zeke 15-20 times per game, I think. :unsure:

 

 

Don't worry.  Jerry has an app for that. :)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn't him being lazy the big knock? How is that going to fly with Jones? He's gonna expect McCarthy there 15 hours a day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd rather see Olivia Munn on the sidelines than McCarthy. Definitely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.