[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

OL/RB stat: Yards Before Contact (YBC)

Dcat

6 hours ago, Dcat said:

This is one of the most revealing stats about OLs in the NFL.  

Makes Henry look even more like a monster than before.

And the Jets OL... holy crap.

YBC.png

Henry and Chubb are other wordly.

1 hour ago, purplemonster said:

Are these only rushing attempts or also receptions?  Seems odd the difference between Gore and Singletary. 

I ranted all year as to why they used Gore when he was clearly diminished and Singletary was so much better. Gore was slow and not hard to bring down. Singletary was fast, quick and avoided contact.

1 hour ago, DMD said:

I ranted all year as to why they used Gore when he was clearly diminished and Singletary was so much better. Gore was slow and not hard to bring down. Singletary was fast, quick and avoided contact.

Yeah it is tough to use these numbers as absolutes, because to some extent it might be seen as a shiftiness index too.  As far as I know Gore in Singletary were used in somewhat similar situations so the difference probably does have a lot to do with shiftiness. Derrick Henry probably isn't avoiding contact or needs to avoid contact as much as other people bc because he can just run over people.  

I watched a clip of the Pats and Titans game and Derrick Henry just ran over everybody. Some D-Back hit him and he literally carried him 8 yards with no issue. He doesn't need to really avoid people like other backs 

14 hours ago, DMD said:

Look at the difference between Gore and Singletary though - shows the back matters a lot too.

Agreed.  And this was one of the first things I noticed.  I am in the process of deciding to keep Singletary or Montgomery (Bears) for 2020.  I like the # I see up there for Singletary and considering how bad the number is for Groe, I have a liitle trust in the OL there.  Gore is just old and slow at this point.  

13 hours ago, purplemonster said:

Are these only rushing attempts or also receptions?  Seems odd the difference between Gore and Singletary. 

rushing only.  Yards before contact.  Gore gets popped in the backfield a bit to get such a bad number.  Like Bell.  When Bell hesitates and waits for the hole to open, that number drops when there is a sieve of an OL like on the Jets.  At least in Pittsburgh, the hole opened for him and he exploited it.  

20 hours ago, DMD said:

Look at the difference between Gore and Singletary though - shows the back matters a lot too.

Really shows age matters too.