[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Browns New Coach

League_Champion

1 minute ago, League_Champion said:

Why would you hire him after that debacle yesterday? It was the worst called game. To this hire I ask, why??

Umm, it's the Browns. Debacles are what they do. 

Edited by irish
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I know that, the question is why him? 

Honestly, who were the browns gonna get?  Who wants that job?  He's was the best they could do and being an offensive person, maybe he truly can help. 

10 minutes ago, irish said:

Honestly, who were the browns gonna get?  Who wants that job?  He's was the best they could do and being an offensive person, maybe he truly can help. 

I think that's a pretty desirable job for the right coach. I just wouldn't want Stefanski anywhere near a young Baker Mayfield. Especially watching how Cousins regressed under him. He's not exactly the "QB whisperer". Although I'm sure you'll hear that term plenty over the next few days as the Browns PR machine kicks it into high gear. 

55 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I think that's a pretty desirable job for the right coach. I just wouldn't want Stefanski anywhere near a young Baker Mayfield. Especially watching how Cousins regressed under him. He's not exactly the "QB whisperer". Although I'm sure you'll hear that term plenty over the next few days as the Browns PR machine kicks it into high gear. 

I hate to break it to you league but he actually progressed this year quite a bit. It was worse last year.  Nevertheless I wouldn't have hired stefanski. But I appreciate the Browns taking him off our hands. Which means he'll probably be good given how the universe and karma works

6 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

It was, but based on what? How great of a job he did with Cousins? 

Not to mention a spotty record he's only been OC for a year and a half and is 37.  I would think the Browns would want somebody with a little more experience to right that ship

Edited by purplemonster

38 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

It was, but based on what? How great of a job he did with Cousins? 

33 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

Not to mention a spotty record he's only been OC for a year and a half and is 37.  I would think the Browns would want somebody with a little more experience to right that ship

Compared to the Giants hire, the Browns hit the jackpot as far as I'm concerned. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

This. Freddie KItchens had no head coaching experience and we all know how things went.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/01/kevin-stefanski-and-robert-saleh-were-the-browns-two-finalists-but-salehs-qb-track-record-clinched-it-coach-search-insider.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio — The Browns’ coach search came down to Vikings offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski and 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh, a league source told cleveland.com, and Stefanski’s track record with the Vikings quarterbacks was the deciding factor.

Stefanski, 37, also had a leg up on the other seven candidates as the favorite of Chief Strategy Officer Paul DePodesta, who wanted to hire him last year. But DePodesta and then-Vice President of Player Personnel Andrew Berry, a candidate to return here as GM from the Eagles, were overruled by then-GM John Dorsey and Browns ownership.

On 1/12/2020 at 1:04 PM, Henry Muto said:

I would have preferred Josh McDaniels

God no, I was so happy they avoided skippy the failure. What has he done in his career? Win with Bill and Tom, that must be hard. Complete failure as a power hungry head coach in DEN. Then after he is canned does BB bring him back ASAP as OC?  Nope, they're going with Bill O'Brien instead, so Josh is off to STL as OC where he fails again. Then O'Brien leaves and BB brings him back.

Oh and there was that quit job on the Colts thing.  

I wanted somebody with more experience, more than 1 season as OC, preferably some time as HC. (Yes Josh has that, no it doesn't change my view.) Obviously Rivera and McCarthy were the 2 best options. I liked some of what Jim Schwartz would bring. Then I was hearing MIN media saying that the improved offense was as much Gary Kubiak as it was Stefanski. So I thought why not Kubiak, 10 years or more as OC and HC, and not a horrible failure at either job. 

I'll get behind Stefanski, hope he brings in some guys that are not all new to their jobs, a DC that's done it before, an OC to call plays who's done that, so that Stefanski can focus more on being a head coach. Its bad enough the GM is going to be some first time GM, and the owner is still a train wreck just waiting to fire somebody then telling us how he has finally found THE guy the one that can make us at least average again. 

On 1/15/2020 at 8:00 AM, loaf said:

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/01/kevin-stefanski-and-robert-saleh-were-the-browns-two-finalists-but-salehs-qb-track-record-clinched-it-coach-search-insider.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio — The Browns’ coach search came down to Vikings offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski and 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh, a league source told cleveland.com, and Stefanski’s track record with the Vikings quarterbacks was the deciding factor.

Stefanski, 37, also had a leg up on the other seven candidates as the favorite of Chief Strategy Officer Paul DePodesta, who wanted to hire him last year. But DePodesta and then-Vice President of Player Personnel Andrew Berry, a candidate to return here as GM from the Eagles, were overruled by then-GM John Dorsey and Browns ownership.

Curious to hear who you wanted, what you thing about Stefanski hiring etc.

Since the return in 1999 I never cared for many coaches that were hired. And as things got worse and guys were fired even quicker, I was starting to think we must get somebody that had HC experience, as well as some years as a coordinator behind that, not some guy who was just a position coach 2-3 years ago. So I was thrilled with Hue Jackson, also sounded like others were interested and he wasn't our last choice after missing out on 2-4 other guys each year. That turned out horribly of course. 

I knew nothing of Stefanski or Saleh. And I still really don't. I did want McDaniels only because he's done it before, even though he didn't do well. I still think hiring the Coach before the GM is a dumb way of going about things.

• Like 1