[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Packers vs Niners

League_Champion

This game had nothing to do with offensive weapons, or lack thereof.  SF dominated in the trenches, just like they did last week.  Only difference is GB has a slightly better line than MIN (and Cousins is no Rodgers, obviously).  But, let’s be real.... both games were over by the half.  Heck.... this one was over midway through the 2nd quarter. 

The Niners’ O-Line makes Coleman look like a star one week, and Mostert the next.  And their D makes better than average offenses look pretty mediocre.  Should be interesting to watch what is very clearly the best offense go against the best defense.  Usually, when push comes to shove, the defense prevails in those situations.  But, Mahomes is pretty special.  Looking forward to it.  

And, yeah, Rodgers is still pretty good.  He makes throws every week that only a handful of guys could make.  Again, the SF defense makes studs look pretty blah.  Let’s not forget that they weren’t at full strength when they gave up 30+ to NOS.  Nor were they in either SEA game.  Much difference team with Dee Ford, Kwon, etc.  Between their D and O-Line, Jimmy G doesn’t have to do much.  Game manager might be an understatement.  

• Like 3

The Niners are such an interesting team because they can beat people a bunch of ways.  They prefer to do it running and have used all 3 backs (we made fun of them for accumulating so many backs but they have used all 3 effectively and probably needed all 3), or they can do it with Kittle/Deebo/Sanders or just their defense alone.  And on the defense they have multiple levels with a very tough D line and pretty elite secondary.  I love the Chiefs too and watching Mahomes throw 55 yard passes off one foot scrambling is pretty amazing.  Good SB matchup

Edited by purplemonster

Just not many teams you see that call a slight draw run play on 3rd and 8 and the guy runs for a 36 yard touchdown.  I know they were tearing it up on the ground but this was pretty early.  It makes for a pretty entertaining team to watch.  Not to mention they have the old school fullback and a TE who loves to block.  

Edited by purplemonster

10 hours ago, Gopher said:

This game had nothing to do with offensive weapons, or lack thereof.  SF dominated in the trenches, just like they did last week.  Only difference is GB has a slightly better line than MIN (and Cousins is no Rodgers, obviously).  But, let’s be real.... both games were over by the half.  Heck.... this one was over midway through the 2nd quarter. 

The Niners’ O-Line makes Coleman look like a star one week, and Mostert the next.  And their D makes better than average offenses look pretty mediocre.  Should be interesting to watch what is very clearly the best offense go against the best defense.  Usually, when push comes to shove, the defense prevails in those situations.  But, Mahomes is pretty special.  Looking forward to it.  

And, yeah, Rodgers is still pretty good.  He makes throws every week that only a handful of guys could make.  Again, the SF defense makes studs look pretty blah.  Let’s not forget that they weren’t at full strength when they gave up 30+ to NOS.  Nor were they in either SEA game.  Much difference team with Dee Ford, Kwon, etc.  Between their D and O-Line, Jimmy G doesn’t have to do much.  Game manager might be an understatement.  

Couldn’t have said it better 

12 hours ago, Gopher said:

Bolded the thought about defense; because I originally thought San Fran would have the edge.  If San Fran were going against a pure pocket passer in the SB; I'd think they might dominate. Now I'm not so sure.  KC shut down Derrick Henry; if they do the same thing to San Fran, then Jimmy Garoppolo has to make some plays.  He has done that throughout the season, but it's clear Shanahan prefers to have Jimmy G to do as little as possible. 

25 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

Bolded the thought about defense; because I originally thought San Fran would have the edge.  If San Fran were going against a pure pocket passer in the SB; I'd think they might dominate. Now I'm not so sure.  KC shut down Derrick Henry; if they do the same thing to San Fran, then Jimmy Garoppolo has to make some plays.  He has done that throughout the season, but it's clear Shanahan prefers to have Jimmy G to do as little as possible. 

Lets hope Jimmy Dilfer is up to the task

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

True.  It’s definitely going to come down to which defense pushes the opposing offense out of their comfort zone, IMO.  For SF, that means having to pass more than they’d like to (rely more on Jimmy).  For KC, the question is whether SF can make Mahomes uncomfortable.  

I’ll be pulling for KC, but my gut says SF is the more balanced team.  Both teams can win in many ways.  I’m just not sure how good the KC defense really is.  It’s a stretch to say they stopped TEN or Henry.  TEN was on pace for 30+ when they realized they needed to change their offensive game plan in an effort to keep up.  That says more about KC’s offense than their defense.  

Just my two cents.  

1 hour ago, whomper said:

Lets hope Jimmy Dilfer is up to the task

And somebody in another thread said they didn't think Brees or Rodgers were capable of "getting over the hump" anymore. Just shows how ridiculous a statement like that is.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rajncajn said:

And somebody in another thread said they didn't think Brees or Rodgers were capable of "getting over the hump" anymore. Just shows how ridiculous a statement like that is.

That was me, in this thread, and I don't think they will personally.  Brees had a great season but also is 41 years old.  His mobility won't be improving.  His long ball won't be improving.  That's the point, not that they aren't very good QB's.  I'd still take either in a heartbeat over Cousins.  

Edited by purplemonster

53 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

That was me, in this thread, and I don't think they will personally.  Brees had a great season but also is 41 years old.  His mobility won't be improving.  His long ball won't be improving.  That's the point, not that they aren't very good QB's.  I'd still take either in a heartbeat over Cousins.  

Yet he's still statistically better than the vast majority of quarterbacks in the league. Top ten in yards per game, #1 in completion percentage and top 3 QBR. The idea that a guy like Brees or Rodgers (notice you didn't say Brady) can't be a Superbowl caliber player is just completely ridiculous. 

BTW, Brees' QBR remained the same for passes over 20 yds and was actually higher for those over 30 yds and his parents rating was higher for each. Not throwing the ball deep has just as much to do with not having a viable player who can stretch the field as it did having the arm strength to get it there. Brees had never had the arm strength to chunk it 70 yds downfield, but here's still one of the most accurate beyond 20 to ever play the game. 

• Like 1

• DMD locked this topic